Matt Targett

villan-scott

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Wouldn't sign up if I was you. Awful Villa content.

These fellas have sources.

Oh, I have no intention of signing up for paid news articles from any outlet. 

Always good to discuss all types of speculation--good fun, isn't it? Kind of what we are here to do, after all. 

32 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

In the end the loan worked as well. No way are we selling Targett for a double digit fee if he had sat on the bench for the second half of the season. 

Steven didn't want Targett, not even as a backup. So getting him off the books at pretty much a break even price is job done. 

Targett didn’t want to stay and fight front the bench. Gerrard has praised him. Let’s not pretend this wasn’t engineered by Targett. 

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Toon try to buy Digne in Jan and fail. They then think they are looking for better than Digne and they all think they are getting Lodi. Instead Villa sign Digne and offload our surplus squad players to Toon. It must be great being a fan of the richest club in the world 🤣

Probably best to leave this kind of gloating till the end of the transfer window, when we all see who we've managed to sign and who we've missed out on.

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

£12m + £5m loan fee is a sensible deal. It's not awful by any stretch.

We spent £25m on Digne, who we think is an obvious upgrade. We were never getting more than that for the player we effectively tossed aside.

The absolute most we could realistically ask Newcastle for was £25m as a result. Then throw in we're going to be keen to get our business done quickly and it makes sense.

£17m total isn't too bad. It's not great but it's not awful. If that can be wrapped up soon we could see our new LB join before the end of next week

I've got no actual evidence for this but rumour locally is the loan fee was far below £5M. This seems a decent deal for both Newcastle and Villa.

3 minutes ago, OzyBoy said:

Probably best to leave this kind of gloating till the end of the transfer window, when we all see who we've managed to sign and who we've missed out on.

Tbf, it’s a Villa forum, we can gloat when we like. If it doesn’t last the transfer window, who cares?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The debate on here is crazy, arguing about +/- 3m or 4m on the sale price of a player that didn't want to be at the club and has absolutely ZERO chance of getting a move to one of the better teams. And this is only our 3rd/4th transfer over 10m in about a decade. 

And yet we bought him improved him ten fold and he's English and a great age to a club with billions...and still no profit.

50 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

If we get anything close to £15,000,000 for Targett, it’s a phenomenal deal for Villa and we should be doing cartwheels. He’s a decent player but nothing more. Selling a player at break even or a small profit after three years of service is the perfect business model, particularly if the player is now surplus to requirements. We are normally stuck trying to give these types of players away. 

Yes every Newcastle fan is saying 12m is an absolute steal...

So the most reliable source suggests it is a total of £15m.

Whether that's a 2m loan fee  and 13m now, or 5m loan fee and 10m now it doesn't really matter.

I would be amazed if we didn't include some kind of stay up bonus owed to us, but eve  if we did I suspect it is all wrapped up in the 15m we'll be getting in total. Maybe it would have been less if they'd been relegated and still wanted him.

Assuming Newcastle also paid his wages for half a season, that's probably another 1m we've effectively got from this deal.

Getting any more for him would have been unlikely,  he's simply not good enough for a top half team.

Just now, MrBlack said:

So the most reliable source suggests it is a total of £15m.

Whether that's a 2m loan fee  and 13m now, or 5m loan fee and 10m now it doesn't really matter.

I would be amazed if we didn't include some kind of stay up bonus owed to us, but eve  if we did I suspect it is all wrapped up in the 15m we'll be getting in total. Maybe it would have been less if they'd been relegated and still wanted him.

Assuming Newcastle also paid his wages for half a season, that's probably another 1m we've effectively got from this deal.

Getting any more for him would have been unlikely,  he's simply not good enough for a top half team.

Loan fee was £3m and if they wanted to make permanent it was another £12m. So essentially a £15m sale or a £3m for six month Loan were the two options Newcastle had to decide upon 

16 minutes ago, OzyBoy said:

The fact that we upgraded our left back and sold you the one we don't want in the first team won't change though.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

That struck me too. Signing Matt Target screams of 'transitional project' - were I a jawdie I might wonder how long the transition is intended to be.  

I think the balance Newcastle are trying to strike is to have players that can take us to the next level (Bruno, Botman) with players that have solid Premier League experience. The first team won't be transformed this window, but the depth of the squad will grow. Targett for £15M seems sensible business,. The transition is probably at least four transfer windows.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

And yet we bought him improved him ten fold and he's English and a great age to a club with billions...and still no profit.

So u think we improved a 14m left back 10 fold and he wasn't able to get into our first team after we signed Digne. Digne looks a bit of a bargain so

1 hour ago, KAZZAM said:

18-20 mill is a good deal for Targett(including loan fee) . 

Doubt we will ever know the exact figures. 

£15M all in, including loan fee (apparently).

He's player that we didn't even want as second choice, as want a younger and more attack minded option, and will probably be back up at Newcastle as they need more than one left-back, so to me it's one of those instances where the transfer fee, if it is indeed £15m, is a good deal for both clubs. People keep talking about Newcastle's wealth, but they have restricitons just like every other team, it's not like when Man City or Chelsea first go their takeovers and could pay drastically over the going rate for players.

3 minutes ago, OzyBoy said:

I think the balance Newcastle are trying to strike is to have players that can take us to the next level (Bruno, Botman) with players that have solid Premier League experience. The first team won't be transformed this window, but the depth of the squad will grow. Targett for £15M seems sensible business,. The transition is probably at least four transfer windows.

Botman isn’t going to you though, he’s going elsewhere isn’t he!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

So u think we improved a 14m left back 10 fold and he wasn't able to get into our first team after we signed Digne. Digne looks a bit of a bargain so

Yes I do. He was largely a championship left back he basically became a PL player of the season under us. That constitutes a rapid rise in market value especially after a brilliant loan where fans are clamouring for him to be signed.

We overpay for players and we are an absolute soft touch when it comes to selling them and that's been an issue under all owners.

'Great price for a player we don't want or doesn't want to be here'

That's not the game. You play hard ball you hold your nerve.

We are so soft it's untrue. 

Did Bournemouth go "we bought him for 8m we don't want him and he doesn't want to be here. £8m and he's yours."

I cannot believe the positivity in this thread.

The club can do no wrong as long as they are chucking money I guess. I've seen it before with Lerner.

1 minute ago, useless said:

He's player that we didn't even want as second choice, as want a younger and more attack minded option, and will probably be back up at Newcastle as they need more than one left-back, so to me it's one of those instances where the transfer fee, if it is indeed £15m, is a good deal for both clubs. People keep talking about Newcastle's wealth, but they have restricitons just like every other team, it's not like when Man City or Chelsea first go their takeovers and could pay drastically over the going rate for players.

People are struggling to comprehend that Newcastle United and PIF are different entities. NSWE are worth billions but Villa does not have billions to spend. It isn't that difficult a concept to understand

He cost us £12m and we've amortised around £8m of that so has a remaining book value of around £4m or maybe £5m with any add ons. So we should be booking a £10m profit from this

• Like 3

Â