Matt Targett

villan-scott

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I actually am not sure it’s inevitable IF they go down. If they drop and struggle there’s no guarantee the Saudis will want to stick around. So for that reason I wouldn’t sell to them, even though it’s a long shot! :)

I actually just posted in the Newcastle thread that I thought it could be years till they catch up the elite. It should be inevitable but as you say maybe It may take forever and they give up.

Edited by Phil Silvers

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I see this often.

You would think the Bloke never played in front of a crowd in his whole career aside from last season.

Was every game he played to get himself rated and earn moves behind closed doors? 🤔

Coincidence perhaps but he was twice the player last season in comparison to 19-20 and this season. 

Irrespective, I’d keep him unless a big big offer come in. I’d especially not sell to Newcastle. 

I think the only logical reason to sell Targett will be if he has asked to leave and is unhappy at being backup, or if Newcastle offer us stupid money.

At some point though we need to sell players, FFP won't allow us to keep spending season after season. If we can double our money on a backup full back, then it would make sense in the long run. Unfortunately Newcastle are the only team that are likely to offer the stupid money.

Not taking anything away from Targett, he's been fantastic for us and was immense last season.

Newcastle are close to signing Aston Villa defender Matt Targett on loan until the end of the season, 90min understands.

Recruiting a left-back has always been a priority for the Magpies this window with Mitchel Bakker, Rogerio and Lucas Digne all being considered in recent times.

However, 90min now understands that Targett is their number-one option. The club first made an enquiry for the defender two weeks ago, shortly after Villa signed Lucas Digne from Everton.

The Frenchman's arrival was always going to cut into Targett's playing time and Newcastle have now tested Villa's resolve with a fresh approach a fortnight after that initial contact.

90min understands that things are progressing well with Targett's representatives travelling to Tyneside on Sunday after Villa granted them permission to hammer out a deal. The player is likely to follow them for a medical on Monday morning.

90min

If we loan out Targett I'm done with this club. DONE 

We should be taking newcastle out to the clearners, £30-£40 mil. Not gifting them loans 

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I didn't believe that article when I posted it, but others are reporting it now as well. Not sure it would make much sense, only thing I can think of is if Newcastle were paying a massive loan fee. They're certainly desperate for a left back, as have been playing Matt Ritchie there.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I didn't believe that article when I posted it, but others are reporting it now as well. Not sure it would make much sense, only thing I can think of is if Newcastle were paying a massive loan fee. They're certainly desperate for a left back, as have been playing Matt Ritchie there.

Yep, if it's a loan it's so they can massage some money about and sign him in the summer instead 

If that's the case we should be looking to punish them for it and make them pay even more over his value than we should be in the first place 

Â