The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

News at six goes “up north” to a constituency that was split 50/50 during the referendum to interview people who still have a variety of views. 
interviewee 1 - we won, get over it

Interviewee 2 - i voted remain but we should just get on with it and leave even without a deal

interviewee 3 - I think we should still leave but maybe with a bit more negotiation

interviewee 4 - we should definitely leave but maybe with another referendum first. 

On 14/10/2019 at 19:04, Dr_Pangloss said:

Question Time is utterly unwatchable these days. It's been on a downward slope for a long time but Fiona Bruce has tipped it over the edge, she's absolutely ghastly and the audience has never been so full of degenerates.

However it does create brief comic moments for people on twitter.

The comments in the thread are quite amusing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Little Alun Cairns MP and Secretary of State for Bristol on the news just now calling on Welsh Labour MP’s from leave voting constituencies to vote for the Brexit deal as they will have to look their constituents in the eye and represent their views.

Now, if I’d been the BBC journalist interviewing him I’d have pointed out he’s from a remain voting constituency. But no, just let it drift on by unchallenged.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Little Alun Cairns MP and Secretary of State for Bristol on the news just now calling on Welsh Labour MP’s from leave voting constituencies to vote for the Brexit deal as they will have to look their constituents in the eye and represent their views.

Now, if I’d been the BBC journalist interviewing him I’d have pointed out he’s from a remain voting constituency. But no, just let it drift on by unchallenged.

It never happend to J R-M when he suggested similar either. I've come to expect it

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

no, just let it drift on by unchallenged

probably didn't even know. They don't appear to do much research, these interviewers, apart from the kind of set piece ones likes Newsnight and a few others. 

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Debatable whether the London march was a million, but the BBC news headline said "thousands marched". Not hundreds of thousands, not even tens of thousands. 

Same as the last one, they do it all the time

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Debatable whether the London march was a million, but the BBC news headline said "thousands marched". Not hundreds of thousands, not even tens of thousands. 

They do it constantly, they had complaints about one here they’d described as ‘hundreds’ when it was clearly a few thousand. They changed the headline to ‘many’.

Not only about the BBC - a conservative journalist discusses how the media have adopted an uncritical and facilitative approach to the government's use of lies and deceit to spin stories, and how well it's working.  Quite long, with many specific and recent examples.

British journalists have become part of Johnson’s fake news machine

It’s chilling. From the Mail, The Times to the BBC and ITN, everyone is peddling Downing Street’s lies and smears. They’re turning their readers into dupes...

...I’ve found it hard to get this article in print. One editor explained reluctance to publish on the grounds that the newspaper’s political team had cultivated excellent insider sources and publishing my piece would invite charges of hypocrisy.

There was a searing honesty of sorts to this remark. Papers and media organisations yearn for privileged access and favourable treatment. And they are prepared to pay a price to get it.

This price involves becoming a subsidiary part of the government machine. It means turning their readers and viewers into dupes.

This client journalism allows Downing Street to frame the story as it wants. Some allow themselves to be used as tools to smear the government’s opponents. They say goodbye to the truth. Social media has provided new ways of breaking the boundaries of decent, honest journalism.

Of course political journalists have always entered into behind-the-scenes deals with politicians, but this kind of arrangement has gained a new dimension since Boris Johnson entered Downing Street with the support of a client press and media. As a former lobby correspondent (on the Evening Standard, the Sunday Express and The Spectator) I understand the need for access. The job of lobby journalists is to produce information.

But there is now clear evidence that the prime minister has debauched Downing Street by using the power of his office to spread propaganda and fake news. British political journalists have got chillingly close to providing the same service to Boris Johnson that Fox News delivers for Donald Trump.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peterms said:

Not only about the BBC - a conservative journalist discusses how the media have adopted an uncritical and facilitative approach to the government's use of lies and deceit to spin stories, and how well it's working.  Quite long, with many specific and recent examples.

British journalists have become part of Johnson’s fake news machine

I read that earlier today, and also the Peston reply. I think he's (Oborne) broadly right, though Peston is kind of right too in his personal response. Obviously the Tory rags are tory rags, but the lack of thinking Johnson's used in his favour is quite deliberate and the media generally are failing us in their,er, failure to highlight this - the rags won't, but the Beeb, ITN etc. should do it much more than they do. With them it's not conscious bias, it's just lowered professionalism, really. It's poor. 

• Like 3

Errrrm, wtf!?

BBC apologises after Andrew Marr accuses Priti Patel of laughing at him during Brexit interview

Political presenter Marr was grilling the Home Secretary about the impact of Britain's exit from the European Union on his Sunday morning politics programme when he scolded: "I can't see why you're laughing."

Ms Patel, who appeared via video link on the October 13 episode of The Andrew Marr Show, did not respond and continued answering questions.

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not for me thanks.

If we're talking journalists then the conversation starts and stops with Sarah-Jane Mee.

Me neither - it was just a continuation of the joke, Rob. :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â