The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, possibly. I’d say they shouldn’t be “favourable” to anyone. It’s when they are that the problems start.  Their news is sort of lost, they’ve lost their compass, they’ve lost their assurance really.

Perhaps. I don't have a problem with the BBC being equally favourable to each person or group upon whom they are reporting. It would demonstrate balance.

By favourable, I'd mean decent, understanding and compassionate in their reporting.

I think it's a step up from just trying to be the news of record (which I don't think the BBC have ever tried to be).

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think that's fair enough and probably counters the pile on line so I'll happily row back on that.

I'm not sure it does for the 'BBC coverage of the story' that you didn't see and others did, i.e. that it was presented as Labour activist versus...

The point about the rest is that they always appear happy to give Johnson (can we stop calling him 'Boris' as though he were a friend) a pass and that, even in this instance where you could go to lengths to show that, perhaps, she wasn't being typical Keunssberg, there was a real possibility that they were being more favourable to the tory PM than they were to the father of the seriously ill child in the hospital (i.e. the salt of the earth for whom they'd normally be chewing their own arms off to write some sort of piece in favour of).

Yeah fair enough. I was watching the rolling news / Twitter / etc. and I don't know how it changed in tone by the evening. Happy to accept the later coverage was unfair.

Also agree with you on the whole "Boris" vs. "Johnson" thing... fallen into a bad habit there.

The bloke definitely isn't "salt of the earth" - went to Oxford uni, works in the City as a lawyer.

Constituency Labour Parties in London are very different from most parts of the country. They always have loads of middle class, university-educated Twitterati types, many of whom work in politics or in related spheres (PR, public affairs, media, law, charities, unions, etc.) and have their own political ambitions. I think it's in that context that the BBC are panicky about presenting someone who might seem like a "political insider" as an ordinary member of the public.

I have no problem with his background being explained as part of the coverage, regardless of the fact he was in the hospital in his capacity as a father.

The problem is that political journalism is all about scoops, and I suspect Kuenssberg finds it a lot easier to dig up shit on the Labour Party, because she's probably a New Labour Establishment type, and half the Labour Party are briefing against the other half at any one time.

By the same token, a lot of the best scoops on the new Johnson regime are coming from Alex Wickham at Buzzfeed (previously of Guido Fawkes), not because of his anti-Tory or anti-Brexit bias (he's pro-Brexit and very right wing), but because those are the circles he moves in.

Anyway, eye on the prize. This Johnson conflict of interest scandal is bad, and it needs a pile on from Labour and the Lib Dems and the SNP to make sure the BBC follow through on it. Way more important IMO than these Corbyn / Fisher / Watson stories.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We've just been to Stoke for some midle-of-the-day vox pops on News 24.

I would give anything to stop this practice.

I'm shocked you can actually find hotel space in Stoke, i'd have thought the BBC block booked every room available the amount of people they send there for a Vox Pop

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm shocked you can actually find hotel space in Stoke, i'd have thought the BBC block booked every room available the amount of people they send there for a Vox Pop

I'm a little surprised they haven't just set up a studio in the weatherspoons, far easier than walking around. 

• Like 1

This is just **** stupid.

The BBC has provided more context for its decision to uphold a complaint against news presenter Naga Munchetty.

The BBC Breakfast host was found to have breached guidelines by criticising President Donald Trump for saying four female politicians should "go back" to the "places from which they came".

In a fuller explanation of the original finding, the BBC said that by commenting on Trump's "possible motive" and the "potential consequences" of his statement, Munchetty had gone "beyond what the guidelines allow for".

In a letter to the complainant, the BBC added that "audiences should not be able to tell" the opinions of its journalists on matters of public policy.

The corporation also released a full transcript of the 17 July broadcast.

Beeb News

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

They say it like we should be impressed,  like it's Chernobyl or something. 

I'd rather go to Chernobyl to be perfectly honest, makes Wolverhampton seem like its brimming with intelligence

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why is it every constituency the BBC visit to gauge opinion on Brexit, is one that voted to leave. Just seen a report from Stoke again this morning. It doesn’t come across as very balanced. I say this as a great supporter of the BBC, just feeling a little uncomfortable about this.

• Like 2

There was one an evening or two back where in the middle of a working day they called in to a fantasy games workshop, populated by middle aged men pretending to be wizards or **** Gandalf or **** batman or whatever.

I have no idea if they were remain or leave, I don’t need to know if these people have a deep understanding of constitutional precedent.

My guess is that they might not have. I imagine at least one of them used the phrase ‘just get on with it’.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Why is it every constituency the BBC visit to gauge opinion on Brexit, is one that voted to leave. Just seen a report from Stoke again this morning. It doesn’t come across as very balanced. I say this as a great supporter of the BBC, just feeling a little uncomfortable about this.

I was just coming on here to post the same thing. It's the same on Radio 4 - Stoke, Swindon. Now tonight's BBC1 news - Walsall (featuring some particularly neanderthal Doghead fans). Followed by the voiceover comment - Boris Johnson is siding with "the people", rather than Parliament (as if a majority of the population wants Brexit). 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Other than a reminder that the average voter knows nothing about politics, they serve no purpose whatsoever. 

This completely. I mean I get from the BBC perspective that until the Brexit, these areas were basically ignored by the national news, unless something else closed down, or someone did a murder or whatever - bad news, essentially. But repeated visits to ask what a subset of people - those on the streets or pubs or shops in the middle of the day - think about politics or Brexit just reveals nothing other than they don't like politicians and they want their Brexit, without understanding that it won't make their lives better.

It would be similar if they went to the stockbroker belt - contempt for politicians, they want to remain and, er....

The whole approach is pretty brain dead.

• Like 2

Currently showing on BBC4 - "Spitfire", a feature-length documentary about the legendary fighter. I'm a military history fan, so I'm interested, but... coincidental timing? The first scene has a current RAF officer talking about how it stands for Britain's freedom and stand against foreign tyranny. A few minutes later, a clip from the old Leslie Howard film "First of The Few" - a character saying "The government carries out the will of the people - or at least it's SUPPOSED TO..." 

Maybe I'm just cynical... 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, meregreen said:

You'll probably find that most voted leave. That might be the actual issue you're having.

• Haha 1

Â