The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

Media camped outside Linekers house firing questions at him as he left. I feel for him and it is unreal that this all stemmed from him saying "We take far fewer refugees than other major European countries. This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30's"

It is madness and all because those at the BBC didn't have the tiniest pair of bollocks needed to resist pressure from the government and a couple of right wing rags who couldn't handle the truth.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Media camped outside Linekers house firing questions at him as he left. I feel for him and it is unreal that this all stemmed from him saying "We take far fewer refugees than other major European countries. This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30's"

It is madness and all because those at the BBC didn't have the tiniest pair of bollocks needed to resist pressure from the government and a couple of right wing rags who couldn't handle the truth.

I'm with Lineker here, but in fairness the BBC is accused of both left wing and right wing bias. A minimum of one of those accusations can't be true.

Just now, HKP90 said:

I'm with Lineker here, but in fairness the BBC is accused of both left wing and right wing bias. A minimum of one of those accusations can't be true.

Me, too, but they can both be true. I'm not saying that the following examples are particularly good ones, or even undeniably correct, but for example (hypothetically) The BBC has adopted a left wing(ish) policy of equality in terms of gender, sexuality, ethnicity, disability and so on, while at the same time seeming to give more prominence to right wing(ish) thinking on economic matters like national debt. In other words it can be and I would say is socially quite liberal and left biased, while being economically right biased.

Probably not put that very well, but I think it's kind of what riles the current mad tories so much - "Drag queens, people with non-white skin, talking about climate change and poverty and ignoring the glorious work we're doing with our Rwanda policy ".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

Me, too, but they can both be true. I'm not saying that the following examples are particularly good ones, or even undeniably correct, but for example (hypothetically) The BBC has adopted a left wing(ish) policy of equality in terms of gender, sexuality, ethnicity, disability and so on, while at the same time seeming to give more prominence to right wing(ish) thinking on economic matters like national debt. In other words it can be and I would say is socially quite liberal and left biased, while being economically right biased.

Probably not put that very well, but I think it's kind of what riles the current mad tories so much - "Drag queens, people with non-white skin, talking about climate change and poverty and ignoring the glorious work we're doing with our Rwanda policy ".

Is that not representing the interests of both the left wing (who typically focus on social issues), and the right wing (who focus on economic ones)?

If you asked left wing and right wing parties what they would wish to be included editorially, they would naturally answer as above, and care less about the other. 

Is that not just part of the balance?

46 minutes ago, trekka said:

Final Score now replaced with The Repair Shop. 

Not sure even they can repair this **** up. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's never going to be the same as Pebble Mill because technology has changed and they outsource much of the work. It's NEP's cameras and broadcast galleries at all the football grounds. I worked with 'Simply Come Dancing' and 'Top Gear' and they were made in Soho, not at BBC facilities Also there was a lot of bloat. Some of the BBC departments had a dozen staff when a similar team in the private sector had three or four. You start working on that, you get a lot more space, but that's good if you need to save £700,000,000 because you can get a lot of property off the books. Though that does make it look like the BBC is shutting down and f**king off, it is just rationalising.

Birmingham is a focus for the BBC right now, so wait and see.

Oh that's alright then, let's wait and see what we are given for the £1bn we pay in. Our local news is still in standard definition,  even YouTubers can film in 4k, it's a huge joke on us all ( Midlands based viewers)

The fact we have no media presence takes so much away from the Midlands,  we are not even in the debate when it comes to the North and South divide. It's a disgrace, a travesty that any decent mayor should be able to sort out sharpish, Street is hopeless. 

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I think @blandy put his finger on it (KW) on the previous page - they've got right wingers at the top, but a more liberal/left set of staff in the organisation generally. That tension was eventually going to cause some sort of crisis - and this is it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's never going to be the same as Pebble Mill because technology has changed and they outsource much of the work. It's NEP's cameras and broadcast galleries at all the football grounds. I worked with 'Simply Come Dancing' and 'Top Gear' and they were made in Soho, not at BBC facilities Also there was a lot of bloat. Some of the BBC departments had a dozen staff when a similar team in the private sector had three or four. You start working on that, you get a lot more space, but that's good if you need to save £700,000,000 because you can get a lot of property off the books. Though that does make it look like the BBC is shutting down and f**king off, it is just rationalising.

Birmingham is a focus for the BBC right now, so wait and see.

Isn't the new BBC facility in Digbeth going to be basically surrounded by private studios and facilities?  I assume they could ramp up productions in Brum just by hiring people and space without really needing to invest much in bricks and mortar. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

I think @blandy put his finger on it (KW) on the previous page - they've got right wingers at the top, but a more liberal/left set of staff in the organisation generally. That tension was eventually going to cause some sort of crisis - and this is it. 

But, and someone else has said this above, this schism between the views of management, and general staff seems to me to be a new thing. I've not heard much about it previously when conservative wonks have been screaming that the BBC be dismantled because it is a left wing mouthpiece. How can you have editorial content that is diametrically opposed to the wishes of management. Would they not have to sign off on said content, or have the entire staff gone rogue?

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Source? 

and even if your assumption is correct, does it make an unlawful policy fine? To risk being pulled from MOTD as well, the majority of Germans were probably ok with the rhetoric and laws in the 30’s. 

also the way we’re heading, we’re not far from a majority supporting the death penalty. Does it make it right too? 

Ruling by popular opinion is not the way to rule.

Says who ? There are a lot of people who believe that the death penalty should be re-introduced, although we're getting off topic there. Just because you dont like the sound of something doesnt mean that anybody who does is a rabid right wing baby smotherer. As for source ? Open your ears, although if you're not living in the UK (not sure of your location) you'll not hear any of this....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â