The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Oborne is an absolute something that probably has a really amusing VT word filter for it, so I wouldn't take anything he says too seriously.

Don't disagree with that, but if true it's a very concerning position to take.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

EDIT 2: Here's a BBC example of the same dynamic, where one of their senior journalists was so desperate to get a tweet out instantly passing along blah that he collapsed into pure Demglish:

No.

Boss: "Norman go to the CBI thing and live tweet the speeches".

Norman: "(makes a typo live tweeting)"

Internet: "Bias [sic] BBC, stooges, anti Labour #JC4PM"

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

No.

Boss: "Norman go to the CBI thing and live tweet the speeches".

Norman: "(makes a typo live tweeting)"

Internet: "Bias [sic] BBC, stooges, anti Labour #JC4PM"

That's not at all what I'm saying. I don't know how you've come to that conclusion. 

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's not at all what I'm saying. I don't know how you've come to that conclusion. 

Oh, sorry. I took what you wrote to be a distilled version of that and twitter numpties. Because it happens.

What was your point then about the BBC man doing a typo because he was live twittering a conference?

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

What was your point then about the BBC man doing a typo because he was live twittering a conference?

I read the point as this:

Here's a BBC example of the same dynamic, where one of their senior journalists was so desperateto get a tweet out instantly

Which I interpreted as everyone being so desperate to get a ‘breaking’ story they rush out a tweet without giving much consideration to the merits of it. Makes sense to me in the context of the post about everyone just posting any old shite they hear before checking it (although slightly different circumstances). I might be wrong though.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Oh, sorry. I took what you wrote to be a distilled version of that and twitter numpties. Because it happens.

My point is that their constant rush to fill Twitter and other channels with tidbits of content leads them to abandon any sort of quality filter. This is true of Kuenssberg repeating 'number 10 sources' claiming Johnson would defy the Benn Act even after the government had confirmed it would abide by it in court documents, and in a lesser way it is true of Crick falling for an obvious joke; both of them abandoned their quality filter on what comes in, to their attention. But there's a quality filter going out, as well; why was Smith in such a rush to tweet some bland comment by Fairbairn that he was basically writing Danish? Could he literally not have waited a few minutes, until he could give his phone his undivided attention?

The common dynamic is shovelling shit out as fast as possible, rather than taking a breath.

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Could he literally not have waited a few minutes, until he could give his phone his undivided attention?

No, in my view. It's like being asked to type shorthand, live, or translate on the fly - it creates errors. I agree with (I think your point) about "do they really need to have a bod on twitter tweeting out live tweets on what so and so is saying?  - though that's slightly off topic for the biased...thread. I guess they think it's where a lot of folk get their news, and as a psb they have to be there doing this stuff.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One element of the whole 'just passing along whatever anybody says to me' dynamic in British journalism is that it has clearly eroded people's critical thinking skills, so that prominent blue-tick journalists pass along or respond to even the most obvious joke

EDIT: I know Crick isn't with the BBC, but it's the same 'passing along and reacting to any old shit' dynamic across the media.

That's not good. Crick is a really good journalist. It's a depressing look that he hasn't clocked that quite quickly.

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

No, in my view. It's like being asked to type shorthand, live, or translate on the fly - it creates errors.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. Without wishing to sound like a Daily Telegraph reader, it's the national broadcaster for goodness sake. I have to believe they can do better than that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, peterms said:

Oborne has broken with the central points of his professional and political life because he believed them to be wrong.  He gave up a (presumably) well paid job on the Torygraph because he found them morally lacking.  He has now attacked his profession, with copious evidence, because it is shallow and false.

There are very few people who have taken such a stand at such personal cost.

One of the very few tories I admire.

I became aware of him when I heard him talk about his book on, and love for Pakistan cricket. An aspect of life that is both trivial and so intrinsic and so geopolitical. But it tells you about character and background and ethos and humanity. He’s alright.

If you were to be far too charitable to her, you could say she's saying that the Tories were daft to make the change and create the row, but that she's worded it awfully - which is a bit of a bad thing for a journalist.

I'm not that charitable. She's shit at her job, has been for years, and as biased as can be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I became aware of him when I heard him talk about his book on, and love for Pakistan cricket. An aspect of life that is both trivial and so intrinsic and so geopolitical. But it tells you about character and background and ethos and humanity. He’s alright.

On a very trivial note, he often retweets pictures of Pakistani scenery on his Twitter account (actually, perhaps slightly less nowadays, but still some) and I have found those quite an eye-opener, since I rather ignorantly assumed the whole country was different varieties of dusty in my mental image of the place. 

Â