Racism Part two

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Well, yes. That's how time works. 

Nobody is suggesting "erasing history". I would suggest that the following two points are pretty much inarguable:

(1) More people have learned more about Edward Colston and his position in British history in the last week than they would have for the next hundred years had his statue been ignored last week.

(2) when he is fished out of the harbour and stuck in a museum he, and his story will attract for more interest than he ever did outside the Radisson carpark. 

It's not erasing history, it's highlighting it.

Yeah my point wasn't about him. 

It's was about erasing / changing things you know are correct to better fit in with the current climate. And that's absolutely happening. 

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

And it would only take 50 thousand years for as many people to stop and read the plaque as have learnt about Edward Colston in the last week.

Thats true. But in 5 years time?

41 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am not for removing statues so how about creating a conversation. You remove them and you remove the crime. Its hidden, forgotten. Keep the statue and a plaque with nothing but the crimes. Create a conversation and a lesson that shouldn’t be repeated. 

Good point, and if you stick them in Museums they are just forgotten as how often do people go to museums. 

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah my point wasn't about him. 

It's was about erasing / changing things you know are correct to better fit in with the current climate. And that's absolutely happening. 

Is it happening? Other than the direct challenge to truth of modern political movements, i.e. the post-truth stuff, where is this happening?

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone else had a nose send them. A picture of the dodgy 1950's Villa Mascot called Darkie?  

I'm hoping it's fake because it really doesn't look good.  I've never seen or heard of it before. 

Disgraceful.

You are friends with a blues fan?! 

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Is it happening? Other than the direct challenge to truth of modern political movements, i.e. the post-truth stuff, where is this happening?

Han shot first - Wikipedia

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

and if you stick them in Museums they are just forgotten as how often do people go to museums.

I suppose it depends on how intelligent they are and their desire to learn

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I suppose it depends on how intelligent they are and their desire to learn

ok when was the last time you went to a museum. its been about 10 years for me. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

February!

I go to the Birmingham Museum a lot... mainly when i'm having lunch at work as I work near it. I like their Edwardian Tea Rooms. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

March, a couple of days before lockdown. I was working on the building next door and it felt rude not to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is it possible that a lot of of the prominent figures in US and Western Europe during 17-19th century might have had some sort of involvement in slavery?  

Yes. Quite probable, I'd say.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is it possible that a lot of of the prominent figures in US and Western Europe during 17-19th century might have had some sort of involvement in slavery?  

While not all will have been directly involved with it, a lot will have benefitted from it. 

A lot of businesses today benefit from modern slavery. Many major firms will use cheap labour overseas where the working conditions are questionable at best and criminal at worst. 

• Like 1

Â