Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

If Mings start, this is a massive game for him. Silly mistakes, hoofing, everything wil be used against him.

I hope he starts and he absolutely smashes it. He deserves to be a part of the team. 

28 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Side picked based on performances...Konsa was shit last week so Mings rightfully returns to the side. Mings was recovering from an injury so not beyond the realms of possibility that was the reason he was on the bench last week. So, can we entertain the possibility that this massive rift was a load of bollocks then?

Well the Athletic did tweet there was never any rift between the two. Think it just got lost in all the brouhaha.

Just now, Mic09 said:

If Mings start, this is a massive game for him. Silly mistakes, hoofing, everything wil be used against him.

I hope he starts and he absolutely smashes it. He deserves to be a part of the team. 

Which do you think would attract more morons to comment on it - the caffeine gum he chews or a pre game red bull on camera like Gestede?

Here's what Gerrard actually said

"When Tyrone is back at his best and looks me in the eye and shows that he's ready to play, he'll get opportunities." The comment was about players missing and whilst poorly worded other comments follow.

When asked if the decision to play related to losing the captaincy or injury, Gerrard said both.

"It's a little bit of that. He's also missed some training time with an injury and there's a niggle in the background as well."

The interviewer mentions Ty's good character which Gerrard agrees with and he says:

"Yeah, 100%, that's the challenge I've set him when I made the decision over the captaincy. We set him that challenge. We said to Tyrone, "you get back to your consistent best, and you'll be back in the team."

Gerrard adds we can't just have one leader on the pitch [reference to a lack of Mings]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0crkvk0

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, daft said:

I honestly think he was talking about Ming's fitness. 🤷‍♂️

He was. It’s just when you’re struggling and under pressure you have to be careful with your words as media and fans will be all over you.  As I said before start winning games and he can say what he wants. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

How? In terms of being fit and ready?

"Gaffer I'm fit and ready to play."

Yeah but you didn't look me in the eye. Next!

Yeah, I think so.

It's a figure of speech. It means being convincing and earnest I think.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was. It’s just when you’re struggling and under pressure you have to be careful with your words as media and fans will be all over you.  As I said before start winning games and he can say what he wants. 

Gerrard was obviously mad about the result and I agree it was poorly worded. The media wanted a narrative and it got picked up by people who want to believe the worst about Gerrard.

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

Gerrard was obviously mad about the result and I agree it was poorly worded. The media wanted a narrative and it got picked up by people who want to believe the worst about Gerrard.

Not really. He stripped Mings of the captaincy and any leadership role then he didn't play opening game of the season...and those are the words he chose. It's ridiculous.

• Like 2

Who said this?

“I made football decisions. Some players were not available to us, hence Leon Bailey starting. He still needs minutes under his belt. Tyrone took it like a professional, like I expected him too."

But some people reserve far more criticism for Gerrard than Smith.

It was obviously a fitness issue and a personal challenge to Mings. I wasn't happy with the initial wording but I encourage people to listen to the full context. As Gerrard is clearly trying to encourage Mings to be at his best which he can only do when fully fit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Who said this?

“I made football decisions. Some players were not available to us, hence Leon Bailey starting. He still needs minutes under his belt. Tyrone took it like a professional, like I expected him too."

But some people reserve far more criticism for Gerrard than Smith.

It was obviously a fitness issue and a personal challenge to Mings. I wasn't happy with the initial wording but I encourage people to listen to the full context. As Gerrard is clearly trying to encourage Mings to be at his best which he can only do when fully fit.

Did he really say that about Bailey?

Â