Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, that's very surprising.  Not that it really matters - but very surprising.

It probably won't matter as it's unlikely both McGinn AND Martinez won't be playing. 

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Wouldn't removing the captaincy maybe make him doubt himself even more?

Or maybe when he’s over-trying (which he does) cos he cares so much (which he does) and makes mistakes (which happens) and then he tries to make up for it cos he cares and then that affects his mentality. Mings could be a fantastic defender and let’s hope this spurs him on to improve his game without worries that as captain he’s letting us down. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd have liked to see Mings made club captain rather than vice captain. It's a more ambassadorial role, doesn't assume inclusion in the first 11, but shows we regard him highly in the club.

Instead, it's Ashley **** Young. Why?

Once again, some would still have accused SG of insulting Ty with the demotion and it would also have detracted away from part of SGs reasoning to enable Ty to fully focus on his playing form.

As to why Ash is club captain this season, SG explained why he made that decision.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd have liked to see Mings made club captain rather than vice captain. It's a more ambassadorial role, doesn't assume inclusion in the first 11, but shows we regard him highly in the club.

Instead, it's Ashley **** Young. Why?

I agree

But at the same time if the reason is solely "concentrate on your own game ty and you will be a better player" then does that role also take up some of his time? Take it all away from him 

Also does young in that role mean that next summer he's alongside elmo in a bar with the lions clubs? If so does that mean we've phased out Ian Taylor? 

He’s not afraid to speak out for causes he cares about. BLM, Mental Health, helping children. He’s a real footballing ambassador. As a footballer, he’s exceptionally good and more so when he got in to football via the non league route. He’s now one of the best LCBs in the country. These make him a great candidate to be captain. 

However, he has openly stated he struggles with his mental health and I do believe it impacts on his game. Because the only weakness Tyrone has to his game is that he suffers from a serious case of “brain flatulence”.. all the “mistakes” people criticise him on is due to him having some serious brain farts. Put him under a bit of pressure, where he has to think quick, he’ll eventually make that “mistake”. It also probably doesn’t help him when people point out his mistakes, which adds extra complications to his decision making when he’s under pressure. Such as questioning his instincts, when he doesn’t need to. This would lead to more mistakes 

so, if not being captain helps him clear his on field thoughts, the better. If he can get over his brain flatulence, he will be a player that most teams would love to have in their starting 11

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

He’s not afraid to speak out for causes he cares about. BLM, Mental Health, helping children. He’s a real footballing ambassador. As a footballer, he’s exceptionally good and more so when he got in to football via the non league route. He’s now one of the best LCBs in the country. These make him a great candidate to be captain. 

However, he has openly stated he struggles with his mental health and I do believe it impacts on his game. Because the only weakness Tyrone has to his game is that he suffers from a serious case of “brain flatulence”.. all the “mistakes” people criticise him on is due to him having some serious brain farts. Put him under a bit of pressure, where he has to think quick, he’ll eventually make that “mistake”. It also probably doesn’t help him when people point out his mistakes, which adds extra complications to his decision making when he’s under pressure. Such as questioning his instincts, when he doesn’t need to. This would lead to more mistakes 

so, if not being captain helps him clear his on field thoughts, the better. If he can get over his brain flatulence, he will be a player that most teams would love to have in their starting 11

But as things stand is he making our starting 11 in just over a week's time. ?

Probably not imo.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

But as things stand is he making our starting 11 in just over a week's time. ?

Probably not imo.

I agree, but a little time on the bench may do him some good, it most definitely give some good for chambers and Villa 

It’s refreshing to see Villa actually having competition for the starting 11 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I agree, but a little time on the bench may do him some good, it most definitely give some good for chambers and Villa 

It’s refreshing to see Villa actually having competition for the starting 11 

I actually whilst he is a good vfm signing and useful player Chambers is vastly overated. If Chambers starts the season I think TM or Konsa will quickly be restored to the side.

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

I actually whilst he is a good vfm signing and useful player Chambers is vastly overated. If Chambers starts the season I think TM or Konsa will quickly be restored to the side.

Over rated how? He’s hasn’t had a bad game yet (I don’t believe) and he’s been better than good in a lot of them too 

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Gerrard said in his interview that he was excited about the start of the new season, the players are excited and he believes the fans are getting excited as well.

I have to agree briny_ear, there are a small number of posters on VT that seem determined to take every event and opportunity to take a swipe at Gerrard and some of our players.

We have to realise that VT is at best a microcosm of Villa fans opinions, hopes and feelings. A small number of 'fans' are successfully bringing down the excitement and optimism that I believe a lot of us feel, by constantly rubbishing the manager and to a lesser extent some potentially excellent key players.

VT is in danger of becoming unrepresentative of the views of the majority of Villa fans. I personally love this forum, so I hope that we can bury the negative agendas and celebrate the very real and exciting possibilities for Aston Villa as we continue to stride forward.

Onwards and Upwards .... UTV !

Great post mate, spot on !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Over rated how? He’s hasn’t had a bad game yet (I don’t believe) and he’s been better than good in a lot of them too 

Chambers had a few bad games back end of the season, got found wanting at times, 1 great pass and a screaming goal and it's amazing what fans forget about, there's a reason arsenal let him leave for free, there defence was piss poor for last 2 to 3 seasons and he coukdnt get in it, even Rob Holding got in front of him, Chambers is a good squad player, and now we have Mings, Carlos, Konsa and Chambers we have 4 good defenders and options to rotate if need be. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I genuinely believe SG is trying to help him.

TM is a good player, but Imo has had a lot to do, presiding over our team through its journey...He might need a time to focus on his own game.....and I think SG has recognised that.

I don't see it as the negative, that some posters are suggesting.....but I do respect the opinions of those on the contrary, even if I don;t agree with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hippo said:

I think Chambers is ok.....but you know me by now Pete, I like dominating centre backs and that usually means 6'1, 6'2 or 6'3, plus, for starters.

Its not the be all and end all, but it does help with aerial balls......And they come in, to our area, more than some like to admit.

If you have CB's struggling to touch 6' they have to have an exceptional leap/take off to compete.

Players like Chambers and Chester, struggle with aerial balls , might be ok on the deck.....but opponents soon sniff out weakness.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Even if he's not a starter in the first few games for whatever reason, he'll win the shirt back soon enough. He's just better than Chambers and Konsa. Unless there's some beef behind the scenes, Diego and Ty will be our most used partnership by the end of the season.

If it's his spot in the team he's worried about, he shouldn't be. Losing the captaincy might sting, but it went to McGinn, probably the most obvious other senior choice, and he's already shown he's gracious about it. Just let your football do the talking big fella!

• Like 4

Â