Formula One - 2019

BOF

I thought Lewis had some how got some really lucky bad luck when he stuffed it right next to the pit entry. If you're gonna do it, then that's the best place, and several others got beached at the exact spot.

Turned out he didn't get away with it after all.

Great race, really enjoyed it. F1 is so entertaining in wet/dry conditions. I love the who will blink first and change tyres mini game they play.

Fantastic race.

Kvyat to Red Bull and Gasly to Toro Rosso will surely happen now. 

It's unlikely, but Max isn't World's away from the Mercedes drivers now. The Red Bull is looking fantastic now too.

Yep, thoroughly enjoyed that race.  Maybe Bernie's sprinkler system wasn't a terrible idea :P  I wouldn't be switching drivers around based on its result though.  When Lance Stroll comes 4th in a Grand Prix because of a fortuitous and timely strategy call, you take the result with a stroke-inducing fistful of salt.  Hulkenberg & Leclerc must still be punching themselves in the face.  That final corner was comedy gold.  The best bit being that you knew you were going to crash as soon as you understeered and still had about 500 yards to slide :lol:  Delighted for Williams but slightly frustrated that it's Kubica and not Russell who picks up the point in only his 2nd finish ahead of George this season :rant:

Max must've burst his shit laughing when he was told at one point that he was leading from Kvyat & Stroll.  What's 'lolwut' in Dutch?

Honourable mention to the two Haas' getting double points finishes. Although fair play to them for managing to have a coming together as well. Wouldn't be the same without that. Hamilton just had one of those days, and even then he was lucky. Despite spending over a minute in the pits at one point, he came out half a minute behind the leader and then got a safety car. So although it didn't pan out in the end, he was in contention for the win for a long time more than he should have been. I did give a little cheer when Bottas crashed out. Not because I dislike Bottas (because I don't), but because it paved the way for a bonkers results and effectively gave Max the win by virtue of being followed by a pair of cabbages (not to mention a junior teammate).

OK Hungary. It's your turn next ...

robot wtf GIF

Just now, BOF said:

I wouldn't be switching drivers around based on its result though.  When Lance Stroll comes 4th in a Grand Prix because of a fortuitous and timely strategy call, you take the result with a stroke-inducing fistful of salt. 

It's not just this one, though.

Even if you concede there's 5 drivers that he shouldn't necessarily finish in front of, he still comfortably has a top 6 car. He's finished top 6 just 4 times in 11 races. Just the 1 retirement, which in his defence he had a great drive in Baku.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's not just this one, though.

Even if you concede there's 5 drivers that he shouldn't necessarily finish in front of, he still comfortably has a top 6 car. He's finished top 6 just 4 times in 11 races. Just the 1 retirement, which in his defence he had a great drive in Baku.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gasly gets dropped at some point this season.  His curve seems to be upwards of late which is buying him time (as it should...), but his early season form means he has probably used up all of his lives, so if that curve starts to level out or go back down then I think Horner will pull the trigger.  I do think his saving grace in this race is that it was completely bonkers.  He did, after all, qualify on the 2nd row looking directly at his teammates backside.  Hungary will be the polar opposite of this race in pretty much every way, so he'll need a flawless weekend there to get himself back on track (badum tss).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

That final corner was comedy gold.  The best bit being that you knew you were going to crash as soon as you understeered and still had about 500 yards to slide :lol: 

Reminded me of Turn 1 at Nurburgring that year it was so wet they had to red flag it.

Before that happened everyone was sliding off at turn 1. And it's such a big braking zone and run off area that people would be sliding for ages.

(was also that year the safety car had to an impressive evasive maneuver because someone was about to slide into the back of him)

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Reminded me of Turn 1 at Nurburgring that year it was so wet they had to red flag it.

Before that happened everyone was sliding off at turn 1. And it's such a big braking zone and run off area that people would be sliding for ages.

Oh yeah I remember that.  Wasn't that where it all happened so quickly that they ended up very gently bouncing off each other and it ended up like a learner driver car park :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Oh yeah I remember that.  Wasn't that where it all happened so quickly that they ended up very gently bouncing off each other and it ended up like a learner driver car park :lol:

Yeah pretty much.

They all slowed down loads because they knew it was so hard to stop, but then aquaplaned anyway so just ended up in a car park in the gravel.

The safety car incident was probably the only one that could have been nasty.

It was the race where that unknown German chap who's name I can't even remember ended up on pole for the restart :D 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BOF said:

Wehrlein.

EDIT : and no I didn't google, but it only barely came to me :) 

Nope, not him.

Had to google it

Marcus Winkelhock.

His only ever F1 Grand Prix (he replace Albers at Spyker due to him not paying sponsorship money) and led it due to the chaos. Not a bad claim to fame :) 

Edit: I don't remember it, but according to wiki he had a 33 second lead when they safety car'd/red flagged the race due to him being on full wets and everyone else having to pit. Might have been even more interesting if they'd avoided a restart!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Nope, not him.

Had to google it

Marcus Winkelhock.

His only ever F1 Grand Prix (he replace Albers at Spyker due to him not paying sponsorship money) and led it due to the chaos. Not a bad claim to fame :) 

Ah, OK, no wonder it 'only barely came to me'.  Cuz it was total balls!  Must admit I'd forgotten the Winkelhock thing.

• Like 1

Not ashamed to admit I'm quite the Max Verstappen fanboy, by far my favourite driver on the grid. Now he's added the composure and consistency levels, that he really lacked a couple years ago, to go with his speed I just think he's something else. 

Can't wait for the season he's in a Championship winning car. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

Not ashamed to admit I'm quite the Max Verstappen fanboy, by far my favourite driver on the grid. Now he's added the composure and consistency levels, that he really lacked a couple years ago, to go with his speed I just think he's something else. 

Can't wait for the season he's in a Championship winning car. 

Has he added the composure? At times this season he’s still been very erratic 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Has he added the composure? At times this season he’s still been very erratic 

Has definitely added composure. 

really enjoyed that race, only 2 cars to look at throughout the whole thing which is usually pretty dull but it was brilliant when Hamilton made up those 5 seconds in lightning time after his pit and the final pitstop was just brilliant tactics.

Gotta feel for Max there, he did absolutely nothing wrong in the whole race and still finished in second.

Great battle between Max and Lewis. Disappointed for Max because he couldn't do much else but once Mercedes pit and Lewis was out on them mediums he was absolutely flying, not a chance Max was gonna keep him behind and in the end it was all very easy. 

Also have to say, I'm not the only one who thinks Bottas is a completely average driver right?

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Also have to say, I'm not the only one who thinks Bottas is a completely average driver right?

I'd say better than average, he gets the upper hand on Hamilton more than rosberg did but I think he lacks self belief

There are rumours haas will drop grosjean for next year so it wouldn't surprise me if Bottas ends up at haas and ocon gets the Mercedes drive 

Also have to say for anyone who hasn't seen Robert kubicas arm, he was old the f1 show on sky yesterday and I was shocked at just how bad it was, not very much muscle tissue left, looked like he could only move 2 fingers on he's hand, I've been critical of him getting the drive at Williams and being slow but **** me to drive a formula 1 car with only 1 fully functioning hand, hats off to him

Edited by Jimzk5

Â