Racism in Football

Zatman

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Black communities are hardest hit by the Coronavirus pandemic. Black people are dying at up to four times the rate of their white counterparts. This is racism.

Strewth, I knew the virus was nasty, what with all the death and illness and that, but I didn’t know it was also a racist. Just goes to show…thoroughly unpleasant little blighter, though at least it’s mostly left footballers alone. I reckon it’s an INGERLUND supporter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Sure, but the fact some people either genuinely lack perspective or are exaggerating things to serve their own political agenda doesn't necessarily discredit the wider calls for black equality. You don't have to support everything, but there are still things that could be done to reduce discrimination against black people and you'll probably find things worth supporting if you look at them with an open mind.

To use a slightly less heated example, think about climate change. You'll encounter anti-capitalist environmentalists that, conveniently enough, think abolishing capitalism is the best way of solving climate change. You don't have to agree with them to believe there is a problem that needs solving.

I am not arguing a case against black people, far from it, but white people are discriminated against too, in many ways.

My point is.....its such a difficult and complex subject to solve...folk with far more intelligence than me, wrestle with the subject.

you have to understand not all white people or Black people think the same....Black people don't always agree with Black people as a matter of course, as is the case with white people.....We don't even agree on here, so why should Black people all agree with each other.

Its fantasy to expect some of the things we do, and to keep blaming Governments ( no matter what the political equation) is folly. The vast majority of Black and White people in this country, get along fine, its those with agenda's don't...educating them is the challenge.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Sure, but the fact some people either genuinely lack perspective or are exaggerating things to serve their own political agenda doesn't necessarily discredit the wider calls for black equality. You don't have to support everything, but there are still things that could be done to reduce discrimination against black people and you'll probably find things worth supporting if you look at them with an open mind.

To use a slightly less heated example, think about climate change. You'll encounter anti-capitalist environmentalists that, conveniently enough, think abolishing capitalism is the best way of solving climate change. You don't have to agree with them to believe there is a problem that needs solving.

depending on the level of intelligence or the ability to see both sides of an argument....many folk sadly, serve their own political agenda. 

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Disagree, I think it's just another excuse to cover up people who are racist. 

If you're well informed enough to understand the political actions behind BLM, then I don't believe you haven't read or heard the players say multiple times that what they are doing is for racial equality. If you choose to ignore those doing the action then you're doing so to justify your racist booing. 

its hardly surprising you do.

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

If you're going to quote Boris in defence of booing this, I'm not sure it's going to help your cause. 

Picking a racist to support the idea that booing this isn't racist, doesn't really work.

That's your personal view, and one I most definately do not share.....I would suggest a fair old section of the public, who overwhelmingly voted for him at the last election, would disagree with that too.

shameful allegation, without foundation.

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

That's your personal view, and one I most definately do not share.....I would suggest a fair old section of the public, who overwhelmingly voted for him at the last election, would disagree with that too.

shameful allegation, without foundation.

Well it's not. But I get why people like yourself probably dismiss it. After all, on a thread about racism in football, just a few posts ago you've decided to argue that white people are discrimated against as well. Talk about missing the point.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

You're saying that like it's a negative. Absolutely happy to be on this side of the fence on this issue. 

you have just jumped to a conclusion, without knowing what the booers motives are.

Personally, I would not boo, but thats not the point you are acting as judge and jury on their motives, many of their motives might vary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

you have just jumped to a conclusion, without knowing what the booers motives are.

Personally, I would not boo, but thats not the point you are acting as judge and jury on their motives, many of their motives might vary.

I'm sure they do, and deep down it will be because they're racist. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Well it's not. But I get why people like yourself probably dismiss it. After all, on a thread about racism in football, just a few posts ago you've decided to argue that white people are discrimated against as well. Talk about missing the point.

its not missing the point at all....but I will agree, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

The point being discussed is why the booing.....I would guess some folk who are not Black, feel marginalised too, and they are saying, what about us.

Look, my overall point is, it is a complex subject, where falling down on one side, is not the answer....folk like us will not solve it, but we need to be balanced in the debate.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I'm sure they do, and deep down it will be because they're racist. 

That is just a bigoted view my friend.....stick to football.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Boris Johnson is not a racist....don't be a strawman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I decided to create balance....Irish people experienced untold discrimination in this country at one time, which wasn't right or fair, but it happened...Irish Travellers are discriminated against as are asian people.

Its work in progress.

any sensible thinking person, would distance themselves from any form of discrimination or racism, but balance your point a bit better, it can be a two way street.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I decided to create balance....Irish people experienced untold discrimination in this country at one time, which wasn't right or fair, but it happened...Irish Travellers are discriminated against as are asian people.

Its work in progress.

any sensible thinking person, would distance themselves from any form of discrimination or racism, but balance your point a bit better, it can be a two way street.

It doesn't need balance. These footballers aren't taking the knee to claim that only black people have ever been racially abused or discriminated against. They've clearly laid down their beliefs and why they do it. 

To come back at them and moan because some other people were abused years ago is missing the point on a spectacular level. The same as people who would say "all lives matter."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

Funnily enough, the ramblings of @paul514 and @QldVilla have definitely helped change my mind on one thing, because I previously was in support of stopping the knee in agreement with Wilfried Zaha that it was somewhat performative and doesn’t represent action.

Now I’m convinced it should continue forever, if only to piss off self-righteous boo boys until they **** off.

Wow did you come up with that all yourself, or did your mum write it for you?

What I’ve noticed is you accept people calling racist when there is no evidence to support it, just because they disagree with others opinions. That’s more an indictment on yourself. Follow the mob, don’t think for yourself.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It doesn't need balance. These footballers aren't taking the knee to claim that only black people have ever been racially abused or discriminated against. They've clearly laid down their beliefs and why they do it. 

To come back at them and moan because some other people were abused years ago is missing the point on a spectacular level. The same as people who would say "all lives matter."

I have no issue, with them taking the knee, so I am not coming back at them at all....that's your interpretation, because, I am more keen to examine the motives of both sides.

In order for communities to co-exist amicably balance is key.....and fairness on both sides has to prosper.

I am merely saying all angles need to be explored, before coming to conclusions....but "all lives do matter" are you saying they don't?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why don't you want football to be used to spread an anti racism message?

Also football has been used to spread this message for decades via various other means, just far less effectively.

Why are you suddenly against it, or have you always been against anti-racism in football? Is it because this one is working?

I think you missed my questions @foreveryoung

• Like 1

Â