Pre-Match Thread

wilko154

We really cannot afford to lose a second away game within a week and could do with a third successive win at Loftus Road tomorrow night to keep in touch with the top six.

This game will be between a club managed by one of our own and one managed by the Wally with the Brolly and there can only be one winner! 

This is another club that have had the better of us in league games on their own patch having won 14 and drawn 5 of our previous 24 league meetings. A 2-1 win would do nicely.  

The day we lose to a Steve Mclaren team is the day I stop watching football.

Boro-Villa-2006.jpg

As if leaking four goals in a thumping on home turf wasn’t humiliating enough, Boro boss Steve McClaren had a raging fan to deal with.

Patience had worn thin. With Boro well on their way to a heavy defeat at the hands of Villa, a club in the bottom half of the Premier League, one Riverside regular had seen enough.

So much so he jumped the advertising hoarding, approached the dug-out and launched his season ticket in the direction of the boss on this day in 2006.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/onthisboroday-2006-irate-boro-fan-8573275

???

Elmo    Tuanzebe     Chester    Hutton

Bjarnason

Bolasie   McGinn   Grealish   El Ghazi

Abraham

Just like our game against the canaries on Tuesday night, this will not be an easy game, QPR are another team in great form and we are probably playing them at a bad time. Yes, yes.. I know we are ASTON VILLA FC and we should never fear going to Loftus Rd, but the truth of the matter is, we are where we are at the moment and all I am saying is, it won't be easy. I like the look of Luongo who's an intelligent player and Eze will cause us a few problems, they have strengthened well too with the additions of Rangel, Hemed & Wells!

That aside, we have enough quality in the squad going forward to cause them a few problems, it is our defence & goalkeeper that is the obvious concern (to every Villa fan!)

I genuinely could pick about 20 different team selections for this, which I suppose shows that we have a deep squad, but also tells me that we have several players that need to stake a regular starting spot and have not shown enough in the previous games.

Keeper wise, I would stick with Nyland, I think dropping him would do more harm (to him) plus its not like we have a young Spinksy waiting in the wings. 

I think Smith will stick with the same defence, but I would be tempted to start Elmo at RB as I think he can support the attack from that position better than Hutton and is better on the ball. Taylor would still get my nod at LB based purely on giving us a bit of balance. 

Midfield - You could make an argument for and against so many of the players why or why they shouldn't be involved, I just wish we could combine the traits of a couple of them to make a Platt and a Taylor! I finally plumped for Jedinak just to give us a bit of aerial prowess and to sit and let the front five cause havoc!

Pleased to see Tammy is fit for selection and I'd like to see him closely supported tomorrow with (a firing) Kodge.

Nyland

Elmo   Chester   Tuanzebe   Taylor

Jedinak 

Grealish  McGinn  Hourihane

Abraham  Kodija 

Subs: Bunn, Bree, Bolasie, Bjarnsson, Lansbury, Hogan, O Hare...

Prediction - +3.5 Goals ?

I’d like to see 2 up top with wingers and just go all out and try and outscore the opposition because we are seemingly incapable of defending set pieces so the opposite are guaranteed to score

I’d go with: 

Nyland (sigh)

Hutton Chester Tuanzebe Taylor

Bolasie Jedinak Grealish El Ghazi

Abraham Kodjia

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’d like to see 2 up top with wingers and just go all out and try and outscore the opposition because we are seemingly incapable of defending set pieces so the opposite are guaranteed to score

I’d go with: 

Nyland (sigh)

Hutton Chester Tuanzebe Taylor

Bolasie Jedinak Grealish El Ghazi

Abraham Kodjia

If we put that side out we will lose about 4-0.

A midfield of Jedinak and Grealish would be shambolic. Abraham and Kodjia up front doesn't work, they are too similar.

Bjarnasson and McGinn are the first names on the team sheet along with Abraham for me.

6 hours ago, wilko154 said:

If we put that side out we will lose about 4-0.

A midfield of Jedinak and Grealish would be shambolic. Abraham and Kodjia up front doesn't work, they are too similar.

Bjarnasson and McGinn are the first names on the team sheet along with Abraham for me.

Thankfully I’m not manager, I think Grealish and McGinn are too similar

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Thankfully I’m not manager, I think Grealish and McGinn are too similar

Yeah, I think playing both unbalances the midfield. I wouldn't play Grealish personally