Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

Grealish did yea - we were awful under DS for months until he came back.

I get the love for Smith as he's a Villa boy and did aid in the feelgood factor around the club when he came in. He also let the players play. Which at times cost us at the back until Jan when we added with Mings etc. It is also easy though for some to forget that we also went 2-13 under Smith without Grealish and looked dead for promotion. Just as it's easy to forget our turn in fortunes and the 10 game winning run coincided with the same person coming back last Feb. Who also coincidently is having the biggest say in us having a fighting chance of staying up.

I would never take any credit away from Smith for last year as he was instrumental in so many ways to us coming up . The biggest contributor though as with this season is on the pitch not off it imo. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes it is. 

If having 15 games to make up a 1 point deficit on our target is a bad position to be in, we might as well wrap it up and end the season now. There's no coming back from this perilous position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If having 15 games to make up a 1 point deficit on our target is a bad position to be in, we might as well wrap it up and end the season now. There's no coming back from this perilous position.

It’s not perilous, it’s just a bad position to be in. Am I missing something? We’re in the relegation zone, is that not a bad place to be? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s not perilous, it’s just a bad position to be in. Am I missing something? We’re in the relegation zone, is that not a bad place to be? 

The original post I was replying to stated that we're "not looking good" for survival, not that we're in a bad position in the table.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

The original post I was replying to stated that we're "not looking good" for survival, not that we're in a bad position in the table.

I’d definitely agree with whoever stated we’re not looking good for survival. With the injury to McGinn, the lack of a recognised striker and the downward trajectory of our performances as a whole, I’d say it’s going to be a struggle. 

Its not perilous, as you suggest, and we are indeed only one point off 17th but if you gave me £100 to gamble on whether we’d stay up, I’d bet against it. 

Buzzing for tomorrow night under the lights. Huge game. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d definitely agree with whoever stated we’re not looking good for survival. With the injury to McGinn, the lack of a recognised striker and the downward trajectory of our performances as a whole, I’d say it’s going to be a struggle. 

Its not perilous, as you suggest, and we are indeed only one point off 17th but if you gave me £100 to gamble on whether we’d stay up, I’d bet against it

Buzzing for tomorrow night under the lights. Huge game. 

Really? I wouldn't. It can go either way, but it's pretty much in our hands. If you told me at the start of the season that we'd be a point off safety with 15 to go, I'd have easily taken that. I was worried we might have a 15/16 encore.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Really? I wouldn't. It can go either way, but it's pretty much in our hands. If you told me at the start of the season that we'd be a point off safety with 15 to go, I'd have easily taken that. I was worried we might have a 15/16 encore.

Just out of interest, who do you think will go down? 

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I wish I had your belief, I'm getting too nervous before standard league games these days. I can't see teams around us bad enough to go down instead.

Who would you say is dropping in your opinion? 

I think it's us, Norwich and Bournemouth. Southampton will finish 17th.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Just putting it out there, betfred have us as pretty obvious favorites to go down at 4/7. The next closest are Watford and West Ham at 3/1.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

3 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

I think Smith will pull a result out tomorrow night.  Sarr is out, if anyone has watched Watfords return to form, it is all because of him (obviously Pearson getting the team to give him the ball every chance they get helped) .

Hope so, Sarr being out is great yes.

Obviously Watford have already addressed their squad issues and have a player signed to come straight into the side for his first start.

Pussetto made his debut v Spurs and cleared one off the line in the last minute to win them a point.

And we don't have a striker.

Suso should be sacked whether we stay up or not.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I wish I had your belief, I'm getting too nervous before standard league games these days. I can't see teams around us bad enough to go down instead.

Who would you say is dropping in your opinion? 

I think it's us, Norwich and Bournemouth. Southampton will finish 17th.

Pick any 3 of us, Norwich, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Burnley and Brighton. Southampton could get dragged back in too, and I'm holding out hope for West Ham even though they do usually seem to pick themselves up by the end.

We've yet to hit our stride. If we can get in a good striker to lead the line (I'm liking the look of Samatta), a winger and with McGinn to come back in March...I can see us finishing strongly. We also have a borderline world class player in our team which none of our rivals can boast.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Pick any 3 of us, Norwich, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Burnley and Brighton. Southampton could get dragged back in too, and I'm holding out hope for West Ham even though they do usually seem to pick themselves up by the end.

We've yet to hit our stride. If we can get in a good striker to lead the line (I'm liking the look of Samatta), a winger and with McGinn to come back in March...I can see us finishing strongly. We also have a borderline world class player in our team which none of our rivals can boast.

Biggest load of nonsense I’ve heard all day.

’Borderline’, how very dare you 😉

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I know people get very pissy about the world class label so I had to play it safe :D 

The greatest player to ever grace the earth is what you meant to say. And I know what I’m talking about because I’m by far the greatest player in our house. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That massive sample of 2 PL games including being 1-0 ahead until 84th minute against the runaway PL leaders

As we didn't win it stands, the desiples of Smith are starting to clutch at straws now from the looks of it 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Hold the front page! Manager does better when best player is fit!

So having plan A to Z of just pass to Grealish is a sign of a good manager then. If that's the case I'll apply for the job as I could easily instruct the players to do that. 

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Desiples. So that’s what someone who supports the manager is called then, huh?

For me Smith has put fans into 2 camps 1 I call the desiples won't have a bad word said. The others support him but will question him and call it out when he isn't doing well. 

Smith is the manager equivalent of Scott Hogan his fans will not accept a bad word about him. 

Â