Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 18/01/2020 at 12:38, foreveryoung said:

Load of bollocks chap!!!

Most of us are happy just to survive, an it's not looking good even for that.

An where is this possession football you talk of????

1 point off with 15 games to go. In what world is it not looking good?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The other is a 13 game sample where we were also missing Tuanzebe and had no defence. You can say anything when you want to paint a particular picture.

2-7-4 in that stretch including some vital results. Then beat Bristol when he had flu and rested everyone vs Norwich loss when we were safe last game

• Like 1

Some people here are Westminster Crabby... 

Just go with the flow people, we'll probably be fine. And if not, as a great lad once said - "we go again".

Lots of people think we are punching above our weight anyway due to the fact we haven't signed top quality Prem experienced players so, the fact we are almost there is a bit of a miracle really. I certainly think we are better than Norwich, Bournemouth, Burnley and West Ham (possibly).

Chillness... 

• Haha 1

Must be incredibly tough for him, the physiologic balancing act he must have gone through every day since coming in must be wearing to say the least, I'd guess he often wants to say out loud things that he cant just so he can maintain the best possible happy and focused medium for all around him, he probably is the worlds greatest plate spinner.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Just watched Deano's post match interview....

I wonder how many post match interviews this season he's said we were poor with the ball and too passive in our tackling? I would hazard a guess at 80% of games. What is happening on the training pitch to rectify this? At the start of the season he promised we would attack every game with the intention to win the game. Yet our pressing has gone to shit and our ball retention even worse. 

I'm 100% Smith in, but I just don't understand how we are so bad at the fundementals of what I thought was the "Smith Philosophy". 

Its a drum , I have been banging for some weeks......even if one thing improved with a player, progress would be identified.

It's just the same from many players week in week out.

Jack really is carrying the whole ship.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The other is a 13 game sample where we were also missing Tuanzebe and had no defence. You can say anything when you want to paint a particular picture.

The problem is.....There is conflicting arguments being put forward.

• some of us like me are talking about the lack of development and basic skills in some of our players on a regular basis....gleaned from watching the play.
  • Some like you are talking about league table position and what is expected of us.

I think the responses need to be tailored to what folk are actually saying.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Must be incredibly tough for him, the physiologic balancing act he must have gone through every day since coming in must be wearing to say the least, I'd guess he often wants to say out loud things that he cant just so he can maintain the best possible happy and focused medium for all around him, he probably is the worlds greatest plate spinner.

It would be nice to know his real thoughts...I have a feeling its not that easy for him behind the scenes.

17 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Just watched Deano's post match interview....

I wonder how many post match interviews this season he's said we were poor with the ball and too passive in our tackling? I would hazard a guess at 80% of games. What is happening on the training pitch to rectify this? At the start of the season he promised we would attack every game with the intention to win the game. Yet our pressing has gone to shit and our ball retention even worse. 

I'm 100% Smith in, but I just don't understand how we are so bad at the fundementals of what I thought was the "Smith Philosophy". 

I get the distinct impression that Smith is better at analysing the problems with our football than he is at putting them right (although I give him credit with lifting performance in the 2nd half at Brighton - that sort of thing has happened all too rarely this season).

Look at Nigel Pearson. I doubt whether he could be anything like as fluent when talking about Watford’s playing problems, but he grabbed the squad by the scruff of its neck, gave them a good shaking and got them playing winning football. 

If I was giving Dean careers advice, I’d suggest he could have a valuable role as a consultant.

18 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I get the distinct impression that Smith is better at analysing the problems with our football than he is at putting them right (although I give him credit with lifting performance in the 2nd half at Brighton - that sort of thing has happened all too rarely this season).

Look at Nigel Pearson. I doubt whether he could be anything like as fluent when talking about Watford’s playing problems, but he grabbed the squad by the scruff of its neck, gave them a good shaking and got them playing winning football. 

If I was giving Dean careers advice, I’d suggest he could have a valuable role as a consultant.

Let's not forget Watford finished 11th last year. Pearson has done well but clearly they were under performing.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Let's not forget Watford finished 11th last year. Pearson has done well but clearly they were under performing.

Maybe so.....but under Flores, not a flicker of light in sight....They was flat as a witches tit and just about everything you shouldn't do, they did.

Its a remarkable turnaround.....so far.

His approach, is the key......Deeney Himself said " its his man management skills"  He said " I feel like a man again", "not since Sean Dyche, Have I felt like that"......Another manager, who don't mince his words.

I don't like Deeney, but that's not the point.....Pearsons Approach is the point.

Just now, TRO said:

Maybe so.....but under Flores, not a flicker of light in sight....They was flat as a witches tit and just about everything you shouldn't do, they did.

Its a remarkable turnaround.....so far.

His approach, is the key......Deeney Himself said " its his man management skills"  He said " I feel like a man again", "not since Sean Dyche, Have I felt like that"......Another manager, who don't mince his words.

I don't like Deeney, but that's not the point.....Pearsons Approach is the point.

Have our players not said plenty of positive things about smith since he's been here?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I know exactly, what you are saying.

However, when working, Deans style of football is so engaging and very difficult to give up.

I worry, he is too affable as a character and the danger with that is, folk take advantage.

But coming from 1-0 at a relegation candidate and taking a point is the sort of thing we are talking about....for, me it was commendable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Have our players not said plenty of positive things about smith since he's been here?

I don't know, if I am honest.

but happy, if they did.

but equally, I never heard any adverse from the Watford players, about Flores....so its a bit moot.

Its not the done thing.....they usually only praise, when the new manager comes in and turns things around.

Â