Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe so.....but under Flores, not a flicker of light in sight....They was flat as a witches tit and just about everything you shouldn't do, they did.

Its a remarkable turnaround.....so far.

His approach, is the key......Deeney Himself said " its his man management skills"  He said " I feel like a man again", "not since Sean Dyche, Have I felt like that"......Another manager, who don't mince his words.

I don't like Deeney, but that's not the point.....Pearsons Approach is the point.

Sounds like when Smith took over from Bruce last year 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I reckon by the end of the Bournemouth game we will know if we are effectively relegated or still in with a fighting chance.

I think if we dont pick up 4 points from those two games we are in real trouble.

We dont have an easy run in now to the end of the season, and doubly so as a lot of the games towards the end of the season is against top half sides, which are the type of games we haven't done much in up to now.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think some are forgetting last season. 

The fans had turned, we were on an awful run of results and a lot of fans had accepted the season was over. Smith came in and we broke a club record to get promoted. I don't think that can be mentioned enough. He didn't just have a good spell or put together an impressive run. He broke a club record in order to achieve what looked impossible. 

Yeah, I get all that.

Last season was a phenomenal turnaround, taking nothing away from the man......but we are in a physically demanding league.  as example   Mo Salah ....the pace and the precision of that strike/goal was top drawer, but how much attention was paid to the sheer physical power of a diminutive man to hold off James the way he did....I can think of many of our players would have been shoved off the ball with ease.....that is what I am talking about.....This league is not just about technical ability

I have a concern and I have mentioned it.....I don't think Dean is comfortable with confrontation....that's just my gut feeling based on nothing more....I don't he spends enough focus on physicality with our players, just my opinion.

If someone refutes that in a strong argument i.e players saying "i had a strip ripped off me at halftime" or words to that affect or players coming out like Jack and describing the strength building programme he embarked on with Ollie Stevenson.....then I will reconsider my thoughts on this topic.

I think Smith will pull a result out tomorrow night.  Sarr is out, if anyone has watched Watfords return to form, it is all because of him (obviously Pearson getting the team to give him the ball every chance they get helped) .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You realize it's not going to be pretty watching a team aiming for 17th right?

my point is not about pretty, who mentioned pretty?....its about basic's.....just to spell it out....

as just one example amongst many......If a player consistently loses a headed ball challenge and I am seeing the same thing over a period of time,I am concerned.....that to me is not unreasonable.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

on the pitch.

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

1 point off with 15 games to go. In what world is it not looking good?

1 hour ago, TRO said:

on the pitch.

I wanna stay positive like you Keyblade, but the football has been, an still is all over the place. Yet again Grealish is the saviour.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I wanna stay positive like you Keyblade, but the football has been, an still is all over the place. Yet again Grealish is the saviour.

Again, for a newly promoted team with an entirely new squad looking to achieve safety as a top priority, this was always going to be the case. If we had consistency we'd be far higher up the table...but then again we never expected to be, so why is it a stick to beat the manager's head with then?

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think some are forgetting last season. 

The fans had turned, we were on an awful run of results and a lot of fans had accepted the season was over. Smith came in and we broke a club record to get promoted. I don't think that can be mentioned enough. He didn't just have a good spell or put together an impressive run. He broke a club record in order to achieve what looked impossible. 

Grealish did yea - we were awful under DS for months until he came back.

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

I think Smith will pull a result out tomorrow night.  Sarr is out, if anyone has watched Watfords return to form, it is all because of him (obviously Pearson getting the team to give him the ball every chance they get helped) .

Got an Everton feel about it this one - hopefully the Villa fans attending will be well up for it... 

Eeeeks. 

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

Some people here are Westminster Crabby... 

Just go with the flow people, we'll probably be fine. And if not, as a great lad once said - "we go again".

Lots of people think we are punching above our weight anyway due to the fact we haven't signed top quality Prem experienced players so, the fact we are almost there is a bit of a miracle really. I certainly think we are better than Norwich, Bournemouth, Burnley and West Ham (possibly).

Chillness... 

We all want the same thing TBH  I think Burnley and West Ham are currently better equipped than us  to survive  . 

21 hours ago, useless said:

Brentford hardly spent any more whilst Smith was there, and this summer after he left they spent £30m, more than any other championship club, my point being that that's a big part of the reason they're doing so well now, not because Smith has left.

I think it's a bit of both, with regards to DS spending money and him leaving us, after selling Maupay and the like we made £35m from those sales, we invested very well in 5 new players, leaving us £5m profit, the other reason is that DS was always reluctant to change his defensive set up and we suffered from it, after a shaky start with new players bedding in Thomas Frank has changed our defensive style of play (something DS failed to do time and time again) so much so, that we now have the best defensive record in the Championship, shoring up a leaking defense is a definite improvement since DS left us.

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Thats a bit like our tactic's    -  Get the ball to Jack and see what happens

Pearson has given Watford belief strength and purpose by being firm resilient in his man management.By using the basics to get out of his players whats required.

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

1 point off with 15 games to go. In what world is it not looking good?

Oh, when I first saw that I thought you were being satirical so I chuckled and moved on. But I see from the reactions of others that you may be serious. 

I take you back to the world of 1st December when we were 3 points above the drop zone, had a goal difference of only -1 and had just drawn 2-2 with Man U at their place. 

That world...

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Oh, when I first saw that I thought you were being satirical so I chuckled and moved on. But I see from the reactions of others that you may be serious. 

I take you back to the world of 1st December when we were 3 points above the drop zone, had a goal difference of only -1 and had just drawn 2-2 with Man U at their place. 

That world...

Or, we can come back to the present world, which is typically how we evaluate things, in which being 1 point from safety with 15 games to go is not looking so bad by any means.

Â