Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Dean needs to get a good result friday! i would take a draw if we play good and look like we have turned the corner. But if we have another 3 goal go past us and look still like we dont know what we are doing then it will be worrying for dean.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

That's 2 wins ........which seem elusive right now. 

Six points is huge.

Two wins and six point improvement if everyone above us loses their corresponding two games, which is impossible and wouldn't happen anyway. 6 points is a huge gap even if you were in form.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, string28 said:

Dean needs to get a good result friday! i would take a draw if we play good and look like we have turned the corner. But if we have another 3 goal go past us and look still like we dont know what we are doing then it will be worrying for dean.

lose 1-0 and its bad given whats gone before, lose by more and/or dont score and I think thats it, and probably rightly so.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Two wins and six point improvement if everyone above us loses their corresponding two games, which is impossible and wouldn't happen anyway. 6 points is a huge gap even if you were in form.

We have 30 odd games left to play. You don't think other teams will have bad patches during the season? 

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Look, i'll make you a promise. If we don't win any of the games you mention then I will come on here and say I was wrong and Smith out. THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

All good mate. Out of curiosity what do you make of our poor form not just this season but the second half of last season. Personally I feel like there’s been a few times with smith where he’s had to turn around bad patches and I don’t think that’s sustainable. Obviously it’s unrealistic to be expected to win every game but I don’t think it’s too much to ask to watch our team compete. If we’re genuinely going to progress we need consistency and I don’t think we’ve had it with smith, it’s always been one half of the season being better than the other. And of course that’s helped us reach promotion, then stay up (both second half of the season form). We had a great first half of the season last year and then fell off second half. What are we going to get this season? Poor first half then survival/mid table push after December? It’s not great 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:
53 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

And then Mid table last year. Continuous improvement. You are fed up of people using continuous improvement over the last three seasons as a reason to justify giving DS the opportunity to fix the season, which is 10 games old?

From Mvillas post just above yours.

What in the below suggests continuous improvement?

in our last 27 PL games we have 8 wins, 6 draws and 13 losses, averaging 1.11 points per game.

In 2021 (as a calendar year), we have played 34 PL games, won 11, drawn 6 and lost 17, with a PPG avg. of 1.15.

So far this season we are averaging 1 point per game (aka - a 38 point season)

28 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Love the supreme optimism of Villa fans. Shite, maybe, but also one place above us in the league.

So what does that make us? 

we've had a shite run. they have a shite team. adams and armstrong are not a PL strikeforce. we're better than them.

27 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s a disaster waiting to happen. I’d say a fair few of our recent problems are down to Shakespeare. If we were to go down that route, and I doubt we will, then very serious questions need to be asked of Purslow.  The supposed chat with his chauffeur would be cosy compared to his chat with a certain gentleman from Montana and his friend. 

I think we contradict ourselves alot on here.

On the last bad run, and subsequent turnaround, weren't most fans hailing Shakespeare as the catalyst to it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Well upto the end of last season yes, this season no we have gone backwards and I dont just mean the last 4 results. If you happy for our play to consist of the back 4 passing it around before someone boots it up into the channels for Watkins or Ings to chase then that would explain it. I think our football is appalling and certainly not at the level I would expect for team with a manager who has been in position for 3 seasons..

We're only a quarter of the way through the season.

I'm not happy with how this season is going but it's way too early to say we've gone backwards.

It was always going to take time to adjust after losing Jack.

Don't get me wrong, it has to change soon. But it's too early for these kinds of conclusions

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

He is two games short of a 3rd of a season. How long do you propose given we are getting worse?

I would agree if there were one sign of positive change but there isn’t, things are getting worse and confidence is ebbing away. 

It wouldn’t be a panic decision, wait for more games to pass and us be in real trouble would be a panic.

Sacking Smith now would make things a whole lot worse. If we're in the relegation places come new year then of course the board have a decision to make but Smith deserves time to sort stuff out. I want the club to progress as much as you but I also value a bit of stability. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Look, i'll make you a promise. If we don't win any of the games you mention then I will come on here and say I was wrong and Smith out. THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

I think even Dean can scrape a win out of those 7, unfortunately we need more.

I think Dean is probably a very good coach, he isnt a great manager. Some fans have been asking questions for while about his systematic substitutions, his lack of a plan b etc. For me the first half against Arsenal summed him up for me, obvious to everyone that changes needed to be made after 10 minutes and nothing.....didnt tweak the shape or the formation its was just keep fingers crossed till half time and  hope we can get in and do something then........by then we were 2.0 down. I do wonder if some of the rumours of players unrest is down to that 45 minutes?

He has stopped improving us as the stats show, I dont see how he turns it round to the extent that he doesnt go either now or the end of the season and its a pretty big leap of faith that he can improve on our current average of a point a game which is where he is for 2021 as a whole so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not happy with how this season is going but it's way too early to say we've gone backwards.

Don't get me wrong, it has to change soon. But it's too early for these kinds of conclusions

Recent departures at watford & spurs for a bit of context.

32 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You have just illustrated precisely why decisions made on the basis of short term form are bad decisions. 

Short term form?

How does he turn it around? Everyone looks dejected on the pitch and about to give up!

I would love to see Dean turn it around but I really cannot see it myself, not this time.

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

All good mate. Out of curiosity what do you make of our poor form not just this season but the second half of last season. Personally I feel like there’s been a few times with smith where he’s had to turn around bad patches and I don’t think that’s sustainable. Obviously it’s unrealistic to be expected to win every game but I don’t think it’s too much to ask to watch our team compete. If we’re genuinely going to progress we need consistency and I don’t think we’ve had it with smith, it’s always been one half of the season being better than the other. And of course that’s helped us reach promotion, then stay up (both second half of the season form). We had a great first half of the season last year and then fell off second half. What are we going to get this season? Poor first half then survival/mid table push after December? It’s not great 

I think what you say about our form blowing hot and cold is true of most teams if i'm honest. We tend not to focus on the performances of others, and treat our wins and losses as divine/epoch shattering. 

That said, last season I would say that our form as a team was very reliant on the form of individuals (one in particular).  

I think this season our form has obviously not been helped by early injuries, covid etc, but if i'm brutally honest I think it boils down to recruitment. Regardless of what Purslow says, I think there was clearly a little bit of panic buying going on, and I think we all saw that Midfield was not addressed as it should have been. 

In general the sentiment was there, in that we wanted to move away from being reliant on individual flair, but I think we recruited poorly, for whatever reason (and again I think we panicked after jack left) leaving us with a fundamentally unbalanced side. IMO whilst I really like Danny Ings, we should never have made that deal. We should have focused on getting the balance of the team right in the absence of Jack, by getting in some midfielders with prem experience. Some unsexy signings.  

We're running to catch up, but I still maintain that there is quality in our side, if we can strike the right balance. As it stands, I think we'll see more hot and cold spells. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Stevo the stats for 2021 (including last season ) are about a point a game............I genuinely cannot see the gameplan which is exactly where we were with Bruce. Brentford didnt play like that under Dean and he has been here for 3 years now and our playing style has got to the level of long throw ins and aimless hoof ball into the channels.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Recent departures at watford & spurs for a bit of context.

Not exactly great clubs for a comparison. Spurs have sacked their manager because they have a vastly superior one lined up. And Watford are a basket case

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

I think even Dean can scrape a win out of those 7, unfortunately we need more.

I think Dean is probably a very good coach, he isnt a great manager. Some fans have been asking questions for while about his systematic substitutions, his lack of a plan b etc. For me the first half against Arsenal summed him up for me, obvious to everyone that changes needed to be made after 10 minutes and nothing.....didnt tweak the shape or the formation its was just keep fingers crossed till half time and  hope we can get in and do something then........by then we were 2.0 down. I do wonder if some of the rumours of players unrest is down to that 45 minutes?

He has stopped improving us as the stats show, I dont see how he turns it round to the extent that he doesnt go either now or the end of the season and its a pretty big leap of faith that he can improve on our current average of a point a game which is where he is for 2021 as a whole so far.

My concern is the whole muddle of whats above DS - Just who decided ROK was to be demoted ?  DS ? his friend and sidekick for many years ?  - who decides to spend a good whack of the transfer budget on a senior striker unlikely to be implemented into he first team - without moving our 14 goal starlets position ?

I'm not seeking to absolve DS  - but unless those issues are resolved are we just saddling the replacement with the same set of problems ? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Don't know how the above thing isn't displaying posts, but hey.

Anyway, my rebuttal would be that seasons aren't played over 28 games, calendar years or over 10 games of a new season. All selective statistics. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not exactly great clubs for a comparison. Spurs have sacked their manager because they have a vastly superior one lined up. And Watford are a basket case

should we decide to make a change we should do likewise. but I'm not holding my breath. Eddie Howe or Lampard for example would appear to just be changing the name over the door.

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Stevo the stats for 2021 (including last season ) are about a point a game............I genuinely cannot see the gameplan which is exactly where we were with Bruce. Brentford didnt play like that under Dean and he has been here for 3 years now and our playing style has got to the level of long throw ins and aimless hoof ball into the channels.

I don't disagree with any of this. Like I said this has to change soon. But we have continuously improved each season we've been in the league overall. It's too early to say this season is a step backwards when we're only a quarter of the way through

Â