Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

So you are saying a big organisation like Sky, with its amazing resource and technological advancements....employ an ex player, who hasn't the ability to keep up with the game he has benn involved with all his working life.

who are you kidding.

you might not agree with him or the likes......but don't claim hes doesn't know the game, ludicrous.

They are two different skill sets...playing the game compared to managing/analysing the game.  Maybe be brilliant at one doesn’t mean you are great at the other, he may have an advantage because of his experience but needs more than that hence why not all the best footballers become good managers as somebody has already has mentioned.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Nah, rubbish.

so do you think a old bloke in the stands every game at Old Trafford, is sitting in the cold watching a game, he has lost touch with too.

Poppycock.

Who has and hasn't lost touch depends on a case by case basis. You're trying to compare the most successful manager of all time with several of the least successful managers of all time.

The only thing Souness has in common with Fergie is the temper and the accent. Shearer et al don't even have that much.

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well I'm absolutely saying it, yes. 

Pundits aren't chosen for their understanding. They're chosen for their image in the public eye, their ability to talk, their likelihood to generate a response - whether that is affection, nostalgia, hatred, controversy, whatever. @Michelsen has it absolutely spot-on. Souness is totally out of his depth - but from a broadcaster's point of view that matters not one jot. 

I simply don't accept that....you must have a pretty low opinion of the watching public to not see through that.

if it were so, it would soon become prevalent with the amount of research and feedback they do....He is no better or worse than some of the younger pundits.

10 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

You can't be serious. Sky literally use the ineptitude of several of their employed pundits as a marketing gimmick.

Sure Paul Merson I am sure knows more about football than others if this is the point

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They are two different skill sets...playing the game compared to managing/analysing the game.  Maybe be brilliant at one doesn’t mean you are great at the other, he may have an advantage because of his experience but needs more than that hence why not all the best footballers become good managers as somebody has already has mentioned.

So who knows more about trains Nick....A station Master or a Trainspotter....depends on the context of course.

yes is is about skill sets.....but to say Graeme Souness doesn't know the game now is, well pie in the sky, for me......I don't accept the arguments of talking heads and the like.....they, Sky, would be exposed if such a case could be proved.

He has won European cups for god sake, League Titles.....what has these others won....what has Biesla won, the darling of the modern game?

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

So who knows more about trains Nick....A station Master or a Trainspotter....depends on the context of course.

yes is is about skill sets.....but to say Graeme Souness doesn't know the game now is, well pie in the sky, for me......I don't accept the arguments of talking heads and the like.....they, Sky, would be exposed if such a case could be proved.

He has won European cups for god sake, League Titles.....what has these others won....what has Biesla won, the darling of the modern game?

what has Graeme Souness won as a manager? absolute **** all ruined 3 clubs. Roy Keane failed manager, Gary Neville failed manager, Tim Sherwood failed manager, Paul Merson failed manager, Alan Shearer failed manager, Jamie Carragher no guts to go into management the list goes on. I am no Bielsa fan but at least he is a manager

just because you are a great player doesnt mean your a great manager, i am not going to ask the winning horse from the Grand National for some advice on who the best jockey to bet on is

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

You can't be serious. Sky literally use the ineptitude of several of their employed pundits as a marketing gimmick.

so who are all these football philosophers, we are all missing out on at the expense of a marketing gimmick...you are funny.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

so who are all these football philosophers, we are all missing out on at the expense of a marketing gimmick...you are funny.

they are too busy actually coaching and managing teams 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

what has Graeme Souness won as a manager? absolute **** all ruined 3 clubs. Roy Keane failed manager, Gary Neville failed manager, Tim Sherwood failed manager, Paul Merson failed manager, Alan Shearer failed manager, Jamie Carragher no guts to go into management the list goes on. I am no Bielsa fan but at least he is a manager

just because you are a great player doesnt mean your a great manager, i am not going to ask the winning horse from the Grand National for some advice on who the best jockey to bet on is

So was Paul Lambert and Alex Mcleish.

I think it would be folly to suggest Captains of these great teams know nothing about football....you don't have to be a manager to know how the game should be played, but it helps,sure.

The running of a football club has far reaching tasks to be conjured.....watching the game, is just one aspect.

I think folk who have won the highest accolades in the game are more equipped to comment on its merits, than me and you.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

So was Paul Lambert and Alex Mcleish.

I think it would be folly to suggest Captains of these great teams know nothing about football....you don't have to be a manager to know how the game should be played, but it helps,sure.

The running of a football club has far reaching tasks to be conjured.....watching the game, is just one aspect.

I think folk who have won the highest accolades in the game are more equipped to comment on its merits, than me and you.

I would take Lambert or McLeish opinions over these failed managers as well no matter how shit they were. They still get jobs while the Sky pundits just make soundbites

I bet Souness would be so confused by a modern day training drill. Football captaincy is also not some major deal like cricket or rugby you dont need to be a tactical genius to wear an armband. No coincidence a lot of these great captains arent great managers. Souness, Keane, Vieira, Tony Adams all been poor managers

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Souness was blaming 'the Latins' for diving just a couple of months ago.  That just highlights the guy's ignorance and out of date attitude to the game.  Tbh I'd hate to see the game the way you do @TRO.

dont forget his constant hassling of Pogba which is either poor punditry or other things. I am no fan of Pogba myself but I have never once heard Souness offer a technical analysis of why he is to blame for everything

27 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Who has and hasn't lost touch depends on a case by case basis. You're trying to compare the most successful manager of all time with several of the least successful managers of all time.

The only thing Souness has in common with Fergie is the temper and the accent. Shearer et al don't even have that much.

Mate, Like him or loathe him....He was captain of one of the best Liverpool teams of all time as was Keane at United....He was captain of a European cup winning team....and trophies galore, winning titles season on season.....don't say ,they don't know the modern game as if its some kind of reincarnation of football.

you don't have to be a manager to know how the game should be played..........John Terry knows the game inside out, but he is not a manager.

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

they are too busy actually coaching and managing teams 

Exactly. I thought this was so blatantly obvious to everyone. On the rare occasion that an actual current successful manager appears as a pundit, their insight and analysis on any tactical matters is lightyears ahead of anything Redknapp jr, Souness, Shearer and Wright could hope to provide.

They are not completely without merit, Souness has good insight on keeping a winning mentality, Shearer and Wright give good explanations of converting chances and one on one battles with centre backs.

This is wholly different from being a useful resource for anything tactic related.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

You don't have to be a manager to know how the game should be played..........John Terry knows the game inside out, but he is not a manager.

I agree that John Terry does know his stuff, if he didn't he would go into punditry instead and reel off empty clichés during the half time interval.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Mate, Like him or loathe him....He was captain of one of the best Liverpool teams of all time as was Keane at United....He was captain of a European cup winning team....and trophies galore, winning titles season on season.....don't say ,they don't know the modern game as if its some kind of reincarnation of football.

you don't have to be a manager to know how the game should be played..........John Terry knows the game inside out, but he is not a manager.

John Terry retired 2 years ago and is currently a coach at a Premier League club. Roy Keane retired 16 years ago and is no longer involved in football for a reason. Graeme Souness retired 30 something years ago and hasnt been involved in football in 15 years as a coach or a manager. Not one club ever contacted him when other shit managers pick up jobs regularly

ridiculous comparison

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Souness was blaming 'the Latins' for diving just a couple of months ago.  That just highlights the guy's ignorance and out of date attitude to the game.  Tbh I'd hate to see the game the way you do @TRO.

No it doesn't, thats you take......it highlights he don't care for that behaviour, its his opinion, you don't have to share it.

He blamed the grass being too long too,not so long back, which was desperate imo, but do we have to hang on to every misquote, does that render a great players, from not knowing the game......do we still refer to Hoddles daliance with the mistique....such a knowledgable student of the game.....No we stick to what is relevant.

Thats your call....I ain't exactly blown away with your interpretation of the game ,either, but lets not get personal.

Â