John McGinn

PompeyVillan

5 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I want to see a scientific study on McGinns physiology. The shape, movement and stamina of this man needs to be studied. I can’t think of any other top level footballers that look and move like him. Maybe Mitrovich has that similar build. 

Yes. He looks like he should be playing non-league yet somehow has the ability of an elite-level footballer. It makes no sense.

• Like 1

one thing i noticed at the end of the game, was McGinn shouting to the players to come back and go over and thank the Villa fans, seems some werent listening and he got a bit pissy (in a Glasgow kiss kinda way) :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tom13 said:

It’s a bit odd for Unai to suggest he reached this conclusion after analysing the match “deeply”:- he subbed SJM after 65 mins!  I suppose it could have been a tactical substitution, but it’s more likely Unai had belatedly realised SJM had been playing too much football, having played him in midweek against Legia Warsaw, and Spurs the weekend previously, straight after the international break in which John played both games for Scotland. 

It’s important to put Emery’s comment in context too.  He was being asked about McGinn’s current good form, and was probably keen to dampen down the interviewer’s excitement.  SJM himself has always known he has to work on his consistency (see his interview with Stan Petrov shortly after arriving at Villa Park).  

I’m sure Emery wouldn’t have wished to appear to be singling SJM out for criticism - the whole team was flat in that game, and but for Emi and Ollie would have been as well beaten as Bournemouth’s 4 other most recent league opponents.  Emery himself would presumably also want to shoulder some of the responsibility for the Bournemouth result.  Over 80% of voting Villa forum fans said his performance was average, poor or even very poor.  

No player enjoys public criticism but there’s no chance the captain will allow this to affect his motivation.  I just hope his having to come on in the second half in Bosnia to bail out Unai’s starting 11 with another MotM display doesn’t affect his performance tomorrow.  

11 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

It’s a bit odd for Unai to suggest he reached this conclusion after analysing the match “deeply”:- he subbed SJM after 65 mins!  I suppose it could have been a tactical substitution, but it’s more likely Unai had belatedly realised SJM had been playing too much football, having played him in midweek against Legia Warsaw, and Spurs the weekend previously, straight after the international break in which John played both games for Scotland. 

It’s important to put Emery’s comment in context too.  He was being asked about McGinn’s current good form, and was probably keen to dampen down the interviewer’s excitement.  SJM himself has always known he has to work on his consistency (see his interview with Stan Petrov shortly after arriving at Villa Park).  

I’m sure Emery wouldn’t have wished to appear to be singling SJM out for criticism - the whole team was flat in that game, and but for Emi and Ollie would have been as well beaten as Bournemouth’s 4 other most recent league opponents.  Emery himself would presumably also want to shoulder some of the responsibility for the Bournemouth result.  Over 80% of voting Villa forum fans said his performance was average, poor or even very poor.  

No player enjoys public criticism but there’s no chance the captain will allow this to affect his motivation.  I just hope his having to come on in the second half in Bosnia to bail out Unai’s starting 11 with another MotM display doesn’t affect his performance tomorrow.  

Eh? You seem very defensive here. It was hardly criticism. He'd say it about every player I'm sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

I’m very happy to know that you know more than Unai about how to manage his captain 🥴

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Annoyman said:

Agree with all that but that said: he needs to stop brandishing imaginary cards at refs even if he's right, could easily have picked up a fifth yellow in a couple of recent games for it

He's got to work the refs somehow.

I like that he's usually the only one talking to them. We really have been too "nice" about the ref.

Yeah, it's a bit jammy and I don't want to end up like Arsenal hounding the refs at every chance, but letting the ref get away with not carding for these shirt pulls is out of pocket. McGinn's got to get in their ear and force them to make a decision.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mcginns two games not to get booked then he avoids ban. Esp against sheff utd if him and kamara are out we are **** vs united

Wonder if there's any way we can avoid starting him against Sheffield United. Probably tricky given we don't have Kamara but Sheffield United at home is one of the easiest fixtures of the season. I'm sure he could do with the rest too.

5 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Wonder if there's any way we can avoid starting him against Sheffield United. Probably tricky given we don't have Kamara but Sheffield United at home is one of the easiest fixtures of the season. I'm sure he could do with the rest too.

We could if youri is fit.

Go with JJ youri and luiz

Very risky though. We looked poor without mcginn against mostar then he came made a impact

I dont think emery will risk it personally 

Â