John McGinn

PompeyVillan

30 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Immense today, as said the run and change of direction for the goal was sublime.

McGinn's resurgence under Emery has been fantastic as he was looking lost and unfit for part of Smith's tenure and all of Gerrard’s time at Villa.

Most of the players have improved immensely which is really driving the team forward.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

And there you have it folks! All it takes to get a positive reaction from @Delphinho123 is to be arguably the most in form player in the Premier League. What were Buendia, Bailey etc thinking? It's that easy!

I think Cash, Digne, Konsa, Watkins and Luiz have all been outstanding this season too! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think Cash, Digne, Konsa, Watkins and Luiz have all been outstanding this season too! 

I'm just teasing! Yes, you are correct, we have multiple players in excellent form this season. We really are seemingly 'doing a Newcastle' where there is a huge increase in form for an extended period of time.

2 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I'm just teasing! Yes, you are correct, we have multiple players in excellent form this season. We really are seemingly 'doing a Newcastle' where there is a huge increase in form for an extended period of time.

A 37 game 74 points run of form. Its the magic 2 per game he is still averaging. Insania

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

The bit of play that led to Watkins missing that sitter was just obscene. Calvin Bassey is a monster and McGinn just bossed him making him look half the man he is.

One of the best individual performances this season. 

Honestly shame on Watkins for missing that sitter as it would've made the assist one of the greatest of all time.

There are others bigger than him or more ripped than him but McGinn uses what strength he has better than any other player in this league. He is just so solid and, I dunno, girthy? (Why hello Kenneth)

It's like farmers strength or old man strength. It's not immediately obvious to look at him but it's there 😂 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

There are others bigger than him or more ripped than him but McGinn uses what strength he has better than any other player in this league. He is just so solid and, I dunno, girthy? (Why hello Kenneth)

It's like farmers strength or old man strength. It's not immediately obvious to look at him but it's there 😂 

The great thing about McGinn is he’s probably one of the few players who wouldn’t take offence if you told him he had “old man strength” 😂

According to Google he is the same height and weight as me roughly. I'm sorry but I don't buy the weight thing at all. I'm fairly slim and light and John is very solid and let's say well built (which he uses to his advantage). :lol:

We talk about The Arse all the time but his ability to drop a shoulder is so, so effective. The defender squaring up to him for his goal knows what he's going to do but is powerless to stop McGinn charging at him and loosing away the shot. 

He should be a lesson for players everywhere that you don't need to do a thousand step overs to turn your defender: the way he uses his body is unreal. None of this is a comment on his technical ability either (I'm not going to pretend that meat and two veg midfielders of the 80s were better than Iniesta): he is clearly a v good striker of the ball, can get it out of his feet quickly and has pinpoint passing. His temperament probably prevents him getting the plaudits he deserves: a man whose most famous gif involves him saying 'cheps' will endear him to fans and pundits in a more homely way than a player doing cartwheels with a football. 

People see him as a throwback but I wonder if we'll start to see more players like him emerge in the PL: scouts will go looking for players with that sort of control over their bodies, rather than being seduced by flicks and tricks. 

Â