John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Ironically, even though he scored a long ranger today, he's cut out the stupid efforts, and the aimless lofted passes. Shows what coaching and a system with plenty of options on the ball does.

Been superb the last five or six games. Passing has been quality, decision making has been quality, and he wins battles just as much as he's ever done. He's also a decent ball carrier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

He was, though.

I'm so glad it's all coming together for him now, but he was shocking for us under Gerrard and towards the latter part of Smith's tenure. There's no point in denying that.

What I don't think was ever the case was that it was a lack of application on his part. Something just went wrong. A mix of being given slightly the wrong responsibilities, maybe carrying a little too much weight, maybe something psychological, maybe an injury, maybe even Long Covid or something like that. So hard to say, but we weren't all imagining it.

He admitted it himself in his post-match interview.

Delighted for him to turn it around like this.

I had Martinez as my MOTM today, but McGinn was definitely a worthy winner too.

He was poor but so many of them were. The thing is we all knew he was better than that and so did the managers that kept picking him.  There’s a big difference between not playing good enough and not being good enough. 

I’m just happy he has proved so many wrong about the latter.  As is everyone I hope.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why not? I’m sick of our fans turning on players rather than supporting them. Happen here and happens at the ground. Get behind players instead of attacking them and they might surprise you.

Same with Watkins 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Was using his right foot and right side a lot when dribbling today which I dont remember him doing previously. 

This is the kind of thing I think Emery works on with players with his video analysis. He spots what is holding them back, and doesn't leave anything to chance.

That's why I still have a sneaking suspicion he'll turn Bailey into a much better player. A lot of these are talented players who haven't maximised their potential because they have bad habits or don't make the right decision often enough. All that stuff is very coachable, even in older players.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Same with Watkins 

The Watkins thing was worse because he was actually turning out quite a few decent performances when he was getting attacked by our own fans.

McGinn is a strange one as he really did have a massive dip in form for an extended spell, just constantly stinking the place out. Given the quality we have in midfield now, I didn't think Emery would be relying on him much, but fair play to him, he's given him a new lease of life... he's a genius.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

This is the kind of thing I think Emery works on with players with his video analysis. He spots what is holding them back, and doesn't leave anything to chance.

That's why I still have a sneaking suspicion he'll turn Bailey into a much better player. A lot of these are talented players who haven't maximised their potential because they have bad habits or don't make the right decision often enough. All that stuff is very coachable, even in older players.

This is a good point. A lot of our players have the talent and with coaching Emery will make them better players.  I agree that Bailey is one of them.   

24 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Bailey must be a very slow learner then, as he's not improved much (at all?) since Emery came in. I just don't think he's got that quick decision making in him, hence why he often runs down blind alleys and ends up hanging onto the ball far too long.

I really hope is a slow learner and that Emery will turn it around for him, but at the moment, I can't see it.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Bailey must be a very slow learner then, as he's not improved much (at all?) since Emery came in. I just don't think he's got that quick decision making in him, hence why he often runs down blind alleys and ends up hanging onto the ball far too long.

I really hope is a slow learner and that Emery will turn it around for him, but at the moment, I can't see it.

Emery's only had 5 months with the team, with a World Cup break in the middle, and a packed fixture schedule.

Some of them like McGinn are clearly good learners who like being coached. Others maybe not so much. I think we'll see some more McGinnesque transformations after the summer. McGinn is just one of the standout examples right now, because he's bright and he was desperate to turn things around. Others will follow, I'm sure of it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Emery's only had 5 months with the team, with a World Cup break in the middle, and a packed fixture schedule.

Some of them like McGinn are clearly good learners who like being coached. Others maybe not so much. I think we'll see some more McGinnesque transformations after the summer. McGinn is just one of the standout examples right now, because he's bright and he was desperate to turn things around. Others will follow, I'm sure of it.

Fair points 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Ramsey took a bit of time to get used to the Emery system, same with Cash. At end of the day Emery is an elite manager and if he still thinks Bailey has something to work with then he has a chance

• Like 1

Incredible both at the outside mid and center mid positions. Great hold up from Cucurella when out wide and then amazing confidence (and a slight bit of luck) dribbling his way out of trouble in CM after his goal. 

A man strong in his belief but also soaking up the instructions from Unai. Gone so far are the heedless pressing and out of positions walkabouts. Maybe won’t ever have the deft first touch that Dougie and Kamara have, but makes up for it with arse and shoulder barges. 

Luiz and Kamara might be able to play around and away from their markers but SJM in form is playing through them and towards the second half, everyone on Chelsea had second thoughts about pressing the rampaging meatball. 

I doubted him but Unai saw enough to believe in him and it is being repaid in kind. 

• Like 1

The mindset he displays now is what he needs to continue to do moving forward. 

He was making all the wrong decisions for a long time save for Gerrard’s first five or so games. Ironically Mcginn’s best game (imo) last season was the Wolves capitulation.(I know under Smith) 

Now his performances are more consistent than they’ve ever been and his tactical awareness on and off the ball is much better. He is selective with his passing and is realising that he doesn’t need to split the defence open with every pass.

The result? Aston Villa benefit. 

Edited by Sulberto21

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

The mindset he displays now is what he needs to continue to do moving forward. 

He was making all the wrong decisions for a long time save for Gerrard’s first five or so games. Ironically Mcginn’s best game (imo) last season was the Wolves capitulation.(I know under Smith) 

Now his performances are more consistent than they’ve ever been and his tactical awareness on and off the ball is much better. He is selective with his passing and is realising that he doesn’t need to split the defence open with every pass.

The result? Aston Villa benefit. 

I think has been said before that McGinn is a managers player, he will do anything a manager asks him and as we saw under shithead he tried these useless Hollywood passes and didnt back down from trying even when they didnt work

Unai has come in and told him things he needs to work on and is clearly doing that as his improvement is top notch

• Like 3

Â