UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/60858313

UFC fighter Jorge Masvidal has been charged with felony battery by police in the United States after an alleged altercation with rival Colby Covington outside a restaurant.

The incident is alleged to have taken place in Miami Beach, Florida, on Monday night.

The police report said Masvidal, 37, "punched him with a closed fist two times in the face".

Covington beat Masvidal on points at UFC 272 in Las Vegas on 5 March.

Masvidal and former interim welterweight champion Covington, 34, were friends and training partners before their relationship broke down and turned into a heated rivalry.

Well then, great performance from Gilbert Burns, pushed the phenom all the way, brilliant fight. Hated the Sterling win but fairplay to him, he had a game plan that gave him a chance and it worked. McKenzie Dern was awesome, such a great technician on her back :)

I Guess we will now get to see Chimaev/Usman, doubt he will duck him now having seen GB push him all the way.

Volkanovski was a class apart from the Zombie, brilliant performance.

• Like 1

Getting into this a bit lately. I guess Khabib Nurmogomedov was the man, but has retired never to return. Was watching some footage him saying he could take 2 guys at once in the ring, pretty believable too, guy was a animal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Getting into this a bit lately. I guess Khabib Nurmogomedov was the man, but has retired never to return. Was watching some footage him saying he could take 2 guys at once in the ring, pretty believable too, guy was a animal.

Super elite, on a different level to them all, if his father was still alive he would still be active and unbeaten today.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Super elite, on a different level to them all, if his father was still alive he would still be active and unbeaten today.

What about McGregor, I mean I know he won stuff, but was he the real deal, did he fight the big names apart from Khabib?

34 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What about McGregor, I mean I know he won stuff, but was he the real deal, did he fight the big names apart from Khabib?

He was a good striker and was the next big thing for a reason, apart from being a bone fide jerk he marketed himself well early on and cashed in on it with that mega money farce against Mayweather. He really made his name from a freak finish Vs Aldo but after that he was completely outclassed against better fighters, be interesting to see where he comes back in at, he weighs about 190 now, the wants Usman I think lol, Usman would destroy him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

He did a lot in terms of increasing the overall popularity of the promotion (and I suppose MMA in general) - but he did most of his good work at Featherweight fighting smaller guys. As soon as he stepped up to Lightweight and closer to his natural weight, he's fought 4 times in that division, W1 L3. He did beat a declining Cowboy Cerrone at WW amongst that run. Nowadays, I think that anyone in the Lightweight top 10 beats him, bar one or two. He's spent most of his time the past few years dicking about while the rest of the top guys in his division have overtaken him. Like Phil said above, if he moves up to Welterweight to fight Usman for the belt, Usman will obliterate him.

In my opinion, if we're talking about who is the GOAT, it's gotta be GSP for me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

He did a lot in terms of increasing the overall popularity of the promotion (and I suppose MMA in general) - but he did most of his good work at Featherweight fighting smaller guys. As soon as he stepped up to Lightweight and closer to his natural weight, he's fought 4 times in that division, W1 L3. He did beat a declining Cowboy Cerrone at WW amongst that run. Nowadays, I think that anyone in the Lightweight top 10 beats him, bar one or two. He's spent most of his time the past few years dicking about while the rest of the top guys in his division have overtaken him. Like Phil said above, if he moves up to Welterweight to fight Usman for the belt, Usman will obliterate him.

In my opinion, if we're talking about who is the GOAT, it's gotta be GSP for me.

👌

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Seeing Oleynik squeezing peoples heads never gets old. :D 60 wins now and 47 of them submissions. That is insane

Yeah watched him, your ***** if he locks you in on the floor, known as the Boa Constrictor. 😂

58 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Would he take out Khabib or is he not in his weight?

What about this up and coming Liverpool guy is it Pimblett, I know he is not in big boys territory, but is he going places?

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Would he take out Khabib or is he not in his weight?

What about this up and coming Liverpool guy is it Pimblett, I know he is not in big boys territory, but is he going places?

GSP mostly fought at Welterweight, and also beat Bisping for the Middleweight title, so he fought in a higher weight class than Khabib. However, there were rumours fairly recently that the 2 were going to come out of retirement to fight each other, but that was pretty much squashed. I'd imagine Khabib would have fought up in weight since he's definitely not walking around as a LW nowadays. It would have been fascinating to see, though GSP is 40 now while Khabib is still technically in his athletic prime as far as fighters go (although Glover Texeira just won the Light Heavyweight title at 40 so who knows!)

Paddy is an interesting one. He definitely has that star quality, and he's an exciting fighter to watch for sure, but he was nearly taken out in his first 2 fights in the UFC. That being said he did recover well and turn them around. It's early days, and if he learns to protect his chin a bit better (better guys would have finished him), then I think that he'll be a problem for a lot of guys in that division. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arnold Allen, Tom Aspinal, Ian Garry and Paddy are the UKs best prospects. 

I would love to see Allen take on Bryce Mitchell, that would be some fight. It's a ridiculous division though and I don't know how far he could go.

Tom Aspinal goes all the way to the top for me, I think he might get it on with Bam bam next.

Paddy is a lightweight and the division is mental, he has work to do.

Ian Garry is a top talent but again the division is mental 

Edited by Phil Silvers

On 10/04/2022 at 13:16, foreveryoung said:

Than standard of the UFC has moved on leaps and bounds while Mcnugget was chasing the big dollar against Mayweather. Just look at what Dustin did to him in his last 2 fights. Conor was great when he won the straps, but since then the standard is so much better and he's been left behind to a degree.

• Like 2

Thought it was an excellent card actually, Burns unlucky not to get the win, KC couldn't have had many complaints if it went the other way.

Thought the Yan fight was fantastic aswell and he wasnt robbed like he was claiming at the end. 

Volk was lethal as well.

33 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Thought the Yan fight was fantastic aswell and he wasnt robbed like he was claiming at the end. 

I thought Yan had done enough to win that and I was a bit disappointed. It was very close mind you.

• Like 1

Â