UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

What a **** weird event.

Ankalaev won the main event for me 3-2, as much as I would have loved to see Jan get the belt back. 

As for Paddy....how in the absolute **** did the judges give him that decision? I had Gordon winning all 3 rounds, with the 2nd being the only one that maybe could've gone the other way. I know he didn't do a lot in the 3rd, but he controlled Paddy for pretty much the entire round. I'm not a fan of it, but we've seen entire fights look like that 3rd round and they give it to the guy in control. 

Seems a bit dodgy to me. Dana wouldn't say a bad word about the decision or his golden boy in the presser. All he did was criticise Gordon's gameplan in the 3rd.

• Like 3

Christmas mood

Fight of the Night: Dricus du Plessis vs. Darren Till

Performance of the Night: Santiago Ponzinibbio

Performance of the Night: Ilia Topuria

Performance of the Night: Raul Rosas Jr.

Performance of the Night: Jairzinho Rozenstruik

Performance of the Night: Edmen Shahbazyan

Performance of the Night: Chris Curtis

Performance of the Night: Billy Quarantillo

Performance of the Night: T.J. Brown

Performance of the Night: Cameron Saaiman

On 11/12/2022 at 10:06, JoshVilla said:

What a **** weird event.

Ankalaev won the main event for me 3-2, as much as I would have loved to see Jan get the belt back. 

As for Paddy....how in the absolute **** did the judges give him that decision? I had Gordon winning all 3 rounds, with the 2nd being the only one that maybe could've gone the other way. I know he didn't do a lot in the 3rd, but he controlled Paddy for pretty much the entire round. I'm not a fan of it, but we've seen entire fights look like that 3rd round and they give it to the guy in control. 

Seems a bit dodgy to me. Dana wouldn't say a bad word about the decision or his golden boy in the presser. All he did was criticise Gordon's gameplan in the 3rd.

Couldn't agree more. Those scorecards stank to high heaven. The only credit I can give Paddy is he's got a decent chin on him, but seems to get hit on it too easily.

Was there and a whole bunch of people sitting around us all reached a sorta joking Vegas consensus that Paddy was probably going to get the decision... lol.

One wonders if the individual judges are really over-interpreting the damage aspect of the recent-ish rules guidance. Hopefully Paddy gets a good slot in the London card and a real test which should see what he is actually made of. Basically shit the bed here and got away with it.

The title fight was a tough call and I could have seen it go either way. Perhaps more draws would be the correct way to score fights, even as unsatisfying as that is. I do like that Dana went right ahead and booked a new title eliminator right away, karma for Glover. The final 2 fights sucked all the energy from the arena, from what had been a real solid night of fights to that point.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

UFC is finally back this weekend so it got me thinking, what's everyone looking forward to this year?

1. I'd imagine that Leon will defend his belt against Usman in the UK. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on since he won't be fighting at crazy elevation this time around. Hopefully he pulls it off again.
  2. LHW is a bit of a mess, but I'd like to see Jiri get his belt back when he's fit again.
  3. HW is also a bit of a mess, but hopefully Ngannou will be back and it can get moving again. Maybe Jon Jones fights Miocic first, as was rumoured, and then Ngannou fights the winner? Pavlovich is making some noise too so maybe he'll be due a shot soon.
  4. Speaking of HW, hopefully Aspinall will be back soon too. It'd be great to see him challenging for the title in the next year or so.
  5. Would like to see Arnold Allen get a shot at Volk for the FW title.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

UFC is finally back this weekend so it got me thinking, what's everyone looking forward to this year?

1. I'd imagine that Leon will defend his belt against Usman in the UK. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on since he won't be fighting at crazy elevation this time around. Hopefully he pulls it off again.
  2. LHW is a bit of a mess, but I'd like to see Jiri get his belt back when he's fit again.
  3. HW is also a bit of a mess, but hopefully Ngannou will be back and it can get moving again. Maybe Jon Jones fights Miocic first, as was rumoured, and then Ngannou fights the winner? Pavlovich is making some noise too so maybe he'll be due a shot soon.
  4. Speaking of HW, hopefully Aspinall will be back soon too. It'd be great to see him challenging for the title in the next year or so.

6. Dana getting some comeuppance.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Everything changes so much all the time so I'll put a slight hope on a Jones comeback and getting KTFO :)

• Like 1

On 11/01/2023 at 11:45, JoshVilla said:

Well, this aged well 😆

Jones vs Gane for UFC 285 confirmed. Ngannou released from his contract.

Not sure I agree with Jones getting an immediate title shot after 3 years out, but I can't say I'm surprised. It's a shame we'll never get Jones v Ngannou now - seems Francis was dead set on leaving (from what we know so far).

• Like 2

On 15/01/2023 at 12:05, JoshVilla said:

Well, this aged well 😆

Jones vs Gane for UFC 285 confirmed. Ngannou released from his contract.

Not sure I agree with Jones getting an immediate title shot after 3 years out, but I can't say I'm surprised. It's a shame we'll never get Jones v Ngannou now - seems Francis was dead set on leaving (from what we know so far).

Stipe tweeted that he'll fight the winner in July. I guess that would be one last big pay day for him.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2023 at 14:03, Brumstopdogs said:

Hmmm... Word was that Usman was really touch and go recovering from a recent injury. Should be really interesting to see how that bad KO effects him mentally (probably 5 rounds of wrestling) and physically (could become a bit chinny). Atmosphere will be amazing if Leon could pull it off again.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 15:17, villakram said:

Hmmm... Word was that Usman was really touch and go recovering from a recent injury. Should be really interesting to see how that bad KO effects him mentally (probably 5 rounds of wrestling) and physically (could become a bit chinny). Atmosphere will be amazing if Leon could pull it off again.

I can see it being quite uneventful. Usman knows what Leon is capable of on the feet, so he won't want to take that risk again. Like you said, it'll likely be 5 rounds of wrestling. Hopefully Leon has been working on nothing but takedown defence....

• 2 weeks later...

Laura Sanko gets the commentary gig for the next event. Not only is she bloody excellent at it (judging from the contender-series), she's also an absolute smoke-show.

• Like 1

Â