UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

7 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Charles Oliveira has won 8 on the bounce so must be a good shout...

He was unbelievable against Tony Ferguson and is probably the one. 

It sorts the division out too quick maybe as there are a few combo's available that are $$$, Gaethje too, I'd like see Makhachev in the mix too.

Hope Khabib gets his juices flowing with this lot, division is unbelievable. 

I've been waiting since the days of Strikeforce to see if Chandler can be as good as he looks in the "minors". And boy does he. Putting away Hooker like that is seriously impressive. Goes to show how much match-ups mean though. Will Brooks is 2-0 against him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s incredible what Connor has achieve in terms of fame and fortune without actually being especially good at what he does. 

He was a champion at two weight classes beating some very good fighters on his way. One of his losses is to Khabib who is undefeated and potentially the best UFC fighter of all time. He’s been too inactive to compete at the top level and I guess he’s never going to fight the lesser fighters now as it’s not worth his or the UFC’s time.

I reckon he’ll fight Diaz again as that’s the money fight available now. A win won’t do him much good if he wants to get back in the title hunt but I guess that’s probably beyond him given the years wasted not fighting and chasing money with the mayweather fight.

To call him not good at what he does is ignoring his rise to the top though. 

I really don't like, or get UFC, and I've never watched a full fight. So I don't know if this says more about me or Connor, but I was happy to wake up to the news he'd been beat. 

8 hours ago, av1 said:

I really don't like, or get UFC, and I've never watched a full fight. So I don't know if this says more about me or Connor, but I was happy to wake up to the news he'd been beat. 

The very fact you dislike the entire sport and yet still care to some extent about the result of his fight says more about him and how successful his schtick has been.

The more people who care about the outcome, the more PPVs they'll sell, the more articles will be written, the more valuable the advertising spaces will become, the more money he'll probably make and he's got people who don't even like the sport invested. Fight promotion masterclass.

15 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

To call him not good at what he does is ignoring his rise to the top though. 

I didn’t call him not good at what he does.

I think the casual observer would see the size of the profile and assume he was the UFC equivalent of Messi, Woods, Mayweather, Ronaldo, Hamilton etc. Sportsmen at the absolute top of the sport and dominating it. His record says he’s very good, but not incredible. 
I was just making that comment that his profile is mismatched to his record within the sport. 

Edited by Genie

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the casual observer would see the size of the profile and assume he was the UFC equivalent of Messi, Woods, Mayweather, Ronaldo, Hamilton etc. Sportsmen at the absolute top of the sport and dominating it. His record says he’s very good, but not incredible. 
I was just making that comment that his profile is mismatched to his record within the sport. 

This is a fair point I guess my reading of "not being especially good" was probably different to how it was intended.

I guess its the same in any individual sport though. The 'personalities' are often more widely recognised by the casual observer than the true best at the sport. UFC needs personalities like McGregor and what he's done for the popularity of the sport is pretty incredible.

His record is still pretty impressive albeit a bit tarnished by a couple of losses on the back of long periods of inactivity and boxing sideshows. I'd argue that its a lot harder to be an unbeaten fighter in MMA than in most other combat sports due to the number of ways a fight can be ended out of nowhere. 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2021 at 08:33, Genie said:

It is more of a Beckham situation.

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

shocked jersey shore GIF
I’m a huge Beckham fan, I think he was criminally underrated.

😂 But he was never the best player in the world despite being the face of the sport for nearly a decade. Very very good, but to the casual observer the profile suggests he’s the GOAT.

19 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

That is going to hurt!

I was wondering why Blaydes didn't just take him down, don't play the standup-game. Well, that didn't work either 😬

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Khamzat Chimaev suggesting he is going to retire as his body is not able to recover after having had a really bad version of Covid-19 at the start of the year.

Dana White claiming he is not going to retire.

Â