What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Right, now I’ve had a curry to erase the taste...

Impatience a Kviek Oat IPA by Buxton Brewery. 4.4% abv

A dry hopped, American style hazy IPA

its fruity (mainly grapefruit I’m getting) but also quite hoppy

For me, it’s a 6.5/10. Nothing special but a drinkable diversion from life. I will finish it

E0FD5F3F-21CB-4D35-8DBE-8DDC8E904A90.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Any recommendations? 

I'm a novice at this modern craft stuff myself but this is literally a topic of reccomendations and things to avoid, have a read.

I'm still really a traditional beer man

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

@bicksterI'd love to try more stuff like that. My adventurous side has only really gone as far as Beavertown Neck Oil, which I really liked. 

Any recommendations? 

Some of my favourite brewers are Northern Monk, Thornbridge and Tiny Rebel (probably my favourite). Have a look at their websites.

A lot of it is just trial and error! Just look back on the last 50 or 100 pages of this thread :D

As for where to get them? I find Morrisons always has a great selection. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Some of my favourite brewers are Northern Monk, Thornbridge and Tiny Rebel (probably my favourite). Have a look at their websites.

A lot of it is just trial and error! Just look back on the last 50 or 100 pages of this thread :D

As for where to get them? I find Morrisons always has a great selection. 

Waitrose has a decent selection and M&S have a few too now

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

@bicksterI'd love to try more stuff like that. My adventurous side has only really gone as far as Beavertown Neck Oil, which I really liked. 

Any recommendations? 

I have a group of pleasant, easy to find and not too expensive beers that I can get in various supermarkets that I would say are reasonable places to start:

• Purity - Mad Goose - pale ale
  • Badger - Fursty Ferret - amber ale
  • Bath Ales - Gem - amber ale
  • Adnams - Ghost Ship - pale ale
  • Brewdog - Elvis Juice - grapefruit IPA
  • Drygate - Disco Forklift Truck - mango pale ale
  • Innis & Gunn - Original - bourbon barrel ale
  • Innis & Gunn - Blood Red Sky - rum barrel ale
  • Tiny Rebel - Cwtch - amber ale
  • Tiny Rebel - Clwb Tropica - fruit salad IPA
  • Beavertown - Gamma Ray - pale ale

Then I have more expensive or harder to get ones around those. My advice would be to ease yourself in slowly, find a few things you like, and then keep buying those but always be trying one or two new ones around them. It's a good idea to keep track of what you like - I do that by posting reviews on this thread, but lots of people use Untappd for that purpose - and then once you have a better idea of the sorts of stuff you roughly like, take yourself to Stirchley Wines and then Cotteridge Wines, which have big selections of all sorts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, markc said:

Picked a bottle of this up at sainsburys today, reduced to £32

english_cot2016.jpg

didn't even know they had a distillery in the cotswolds

It’s quite a young one isn’t it? I wanted to try this before I left the UK but it is quite punchy for a baby whisky. 

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Any recommendations? 

Paging @fightoffyour 

He taught me everything I know!

I can give recommendation for Polish craft but I know nothing about UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Any recommendations? 

50 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Paging @fightoffyour 

He taught me everything I know!

I can give recommendation for Polish craft but I know nothing about UK.

I'm a big fan of hazy, juicy (NE)IPAs, so Cloudwater and Verdant always seem to deliver on that front, but they're not really entry level craft brewers in terms of availability or price.

I also like(d) the Northern Monk bar in Manchester, whose beers you will find in supermarkets - though only their core range, and whether the quality suffers from mass production to get it in there is another question.

Vocation, Thornbridge, Brewdog and Siren you can also find in Morrisons, which always seems to have the best selection - as well as localised choices from nearby breweries, should all be a good starting point.

And you can find some cool stuff like Mikkeller in M&S, even the ones in stations. 

Then if there's a producer/style you particularly enjoy you might want to go direct to the brewery's website and get a bunch of stuff that's not in the supermarket. I think at least Thornbridge and Tiny Rebel do a reasonable order size (~£30?) for free delivery.

Cloudwater are £40 free delivery too, and many people (@.ac.uk, NHS, etc.) can get £10 off that too atm, although that's still only going to get you about 6-8 cans 😀 (and yes, I think they are/can be worth it - they have a bitter chocolate imperial stout for ~£10 which is just sensational).

Anyone else getting thirsty?

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh and I use Untappd for global ratings especially if I’m looking to buy something expensive or I need to whittle down the best choices from too many new releases.

I tend to agree with the global ratings for the most part, so it’s a good guide as long as you have an understanding of the highly non-linear scale:

Less than 3/5 is either pissy lager or just complete trash, 3.5 is good/acceptable, 3.75 is great/solid, 4 is excellent and 4.5 is pretty much the best thing you’ve ever tasted. If you see anything with a higher rating just buy it - although it’s rarely going to be anything other than an imperial stout, barley wine, or lambic, and if it’s an IPA then it may not even be fresh.

How long til 6pm?

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Oh and I use Untappd for global ratings especially if I’m looking to buy something expensive or I need to whittle down the best choices from too many new releases.

I tend to agree with the global ratings for the most part, so it’s a good guide as long as you have an understanding of the highly non-linear scale:

Less than 3/5 is either pissy lager or just complete trash, 3.5 is good/acceptable, 3.75 is great/solid, 4 is excellent and 4.5 is pretty much the best thing you’ve ever tasted. If you see anything with a higher rating just buy it - although it’s rarely going to be anything other than an imperial stout, barley wine, or lambic, and if it’s an IPA then it may not even be fresh.

How long til 6pm?

To add to ratings on untappd, every stout seems to be above 4 so not sure what to glean from that :D 

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

To add to ratings on untappd, every stout seems to be above 4 so not sure what to glean from that :D 

They’re all incredible 😀

Actually it is a bit of a minefield. Expensive stuff, like barrel aged stouts, gets overrated because people have paid a lot for it.

Polish stuff gets underrated because...not enough pride in their own beer?

Â