What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Lurking Beneath, by Flathead. At £8 a can, this is the most expensive beer I've ever poured down the sink. I managed two sips, absolutely **** disgusting.

tKKFsz2.png

Reading bourbon barrle [sic] aged imperial stout, I expected another Necessary Evil, which is rich, full bodied, and almost buttery. This was really thin, bitter, and completely flat - not just a bad batch, other reviews online talk about it pouring completely flat. It's just a really **** shit beer, and I'll be avoiding anything else from the Flathead brewery.

Pretty gutted tbh.

• Sad 2

Been moving back towards slightly firmed grounds in terms of "drinks that taste of other things" over the past couple of weeks/month.  Slightly.

Kopparberg Spiced Apple

A nice blend of warming spices; it doesn't hit the heights of Cornish Orchard's Wassail variety (which to be brief, can be best described as "the effing business").  It also has this really weird overpowering smell that Campari has, thankfully it doesn't impact the taste.

Nice enough to buy another one for a rainy day / 10

Kopparberg  Cider with Rhubarb

Not the worst rhubarb flavoured cider I've had (looking at you Brothers...); but yeah, sickly sweet, and pretty much liquid-rhubarb-and-custard-sweets-without-the-custard.  I should have known better.

Died a little inside when I saw another one I'd mistakenly ordered in the fridge / 10

Tiny Rebel Funk Sour Cola

It's sour, it tastes of cola, not a hint of any booze or beer, I've no frame of reference as to what this should actually taste like.  Its sourness is almost too much, like the worlds sourest lemon ball, or that 7th bag of tangfastics you decided to crack open.

Have managed three quarters of it without considering throwing it down the sink, I'd call that a small win / 10

• Like 2

Honestly, £8 for a drink is pretty obscene, and in normal times, I'd flinch, but I've posted a few times over the last year about where I buy my beer from, he's a local pub landlord who sources exceptional beer. It's the type of pub where I'd usually have several 1/3 or 1/2 pints over a few hours instead of full pints, and I'm happy to spend a decent amount a month helping them tick over while the pub is shut.

I spend an average of about £6 for 500ml there and they're almost always exceptional, this is the first real dud. No regrets, I want that guy to still be in business when pubs can open up again. 

The most I've spent is £13 for a 440ml can, and the upsetting thing is that is was absolutely mind-blowing and set a new expectation for what I want from beer.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

On 31/01/2021 at 22:19, bickster said:

Hollow Days -Hazelnut Stout abv 4.8% 

By the Harbour Brewing Co from somewhere in Cornwall

Malty, chocolatey and obviously hazelnutty

More sweet than bitter but has elements of both.

I like this a lot, very drinkable

Added bonus of claret and blue can

1DBF0B1A-2E64-4F78-807B-B74FFC2C8E7F.jpeg

It sounds great but I struggle with flavoured stouts that are less than 10% these days, they just tend to lack so much body.

Guinness is still fine and the Wiper and True milk stout is like an upgrade on that, but when they promise thinks like hazelnut or caramel, I find you need a high ABV to back it up.

Sorry for picking out you and this beer in particular though, hope it was nice!

On 30/01/2021 at 23:34, Davkaus said:

Lurking Beneath, by Flathead. At £8 a can, this is the most expensive beer I've ever poured down the sink. I managed two sips, absolutely **** disgusting.

tKKFsz2.png

Reading bourbon barrle [sic] aged imperial stout, I expected another Necessary Evil, which is rich, full bodied, and almost buttery. This was really thin, bitter, and completely flat - not just a bad batch, other reviews online talk about it pouring completely flat. It's just a really **** shit beer, and I'll be avoiding anything else from the Flathead brewery.

Pretty gutted tbh.

I had a stout at @fightoffyour 's last time and it was awful. Looked expensive too, I don't think we finished it did we?

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I had a stout at @fightoffyour 's last time and it was awful. Looked expensive too, I don't think we finished it did we?

That was the peated (smokey) porter wasn’t it? I agree, it was awful. And it wasn’t cheap but it wasn’t as expensive as it looked. “Only” about £6.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It sounds great but I struggle with flavoured stouts that are less than 10% these days, they just tend to lack so much body.

This one...

450x450.jpg

... is 6.9% but it pours like sump oil, definitely has body. Not the body of Guiness but it's not far off

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

That was the peated (smokey) porter wasn’t it? I agree, it was awful. And it wasn’t cheap but it wasn’t as expensive as it looked. “Only” about £6.

I had a horrible feeling it was 10-15 quid! Phew.

• Like 1

Moor Brewing Company from Brizzle abv 5%

It's just called Stout. It's a live beer and is naturally carbonated. Coffee, Chocolate, malts and a hint of vanilla. Though all are quite understated. Leaves a reasonably dry taste in the mouth 

I'd have this again

53BAEE81-6499-4CCA-B21D-D2873C7E73EE.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I had a horrible feeling it was 10-15 quid! Phew.

Just not going to buy any smoked beer in bottles again. I do like them occasionally so wouldn't be against trying a small glass on tap, but when they're bad they're really bad.

I think Americans go mad for them because they're not allowed to use any tobacco in drinks/beer/alcohol/food, so it's a bit of a novelty. I could be completely wrong about that though.

Tough day at work today and definitely need a relaxing beer

Cheshire Chocolate Porter by Robinsons of Stockport but exclusively for M&S. Abv 6%

This is quite a light porter the malts are stronger than the chocolate and it has a nice light fizz to it. I like this because the chocolate isn't overpowering and for a 6% beer it hasn't got too much body.

72800B6B-278A-49BD-9844-BA978DAF942C.jpeg

• Like 2

Â