What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

57 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Just a plain old Kraken and coke 

I have a full bottle of that sitting on the shelf, thinking of saving it for when houses are allowed to mix properly, but we’ll see.

It’s my go to spiced rum (I think it’s the bottle design I like). I’m always thinking of trying other rums but I tend to try them in pubs rather than buying the bottles for home. Do you venture away from kraken much? Dead man’s finger is comparably decent. I’ve had a few glasses of this before and quite enjoyed it too -

DFF52860-4016-4B89-878E-DEAB937BFBF5.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I have a full bottle of that sitting on the shelf, thinking of saving it for when houses are allowed to mix properly, but we’ll see.

It’s my go to spiced rum (I think it’s the bottle design I like). I’m always thinking of trying other rums but I tend to try them in pubs rather than buying the bottles for home. Do you venture away from kraken much? Dead man’s finger is comparably decent. I’ve had a few glasses of this before and quite enjoyed it too -

DFF52860-4016-4B89-878E-DEAB937BFBF5.jpeg

I do dabble but agree Kraken is still a favourite. 

have had Dead Mans Fingers, which was pretty nice but never the one in your pic

One of my faves was strangely from Aldi - Seadog Treacle rum. Absolutely gorgeous with a fiery ginger beer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

One of my faves was strangely from Aldi - Seadog Treacle rum. Absolutely gorgeous with a fiery ginger beer. 

Cheers, will investigate. 

The only place I’ve seen the sweet dram rum above is the whippet inn micropub in Lichfield. Being a micropub it’s more centred around ales which aren’t really my thing, but happily they had this dram behind the bar. Worth a sip or two if you stumble across it. 

• Thanks 1

The first couple of the HonestBrew newbies have been tried so far:

adb95ecb2dc38af33cc6ecfcd54d2fb6_640x640

A pomelo kolsch from a Spanish brewery called Peninsula. Very light, with a delightful tang. Could drink it all night until your teeth got too fuzzy. Will seek out again.

Rascals-BigHopRed.jpg

The description is on the can. A bit more fruity than you would expect from a beer that colour, and a bit less toffee. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, as it hit with a bit of a metallic taste, but I grew into it and liked it quite a bit by the end. Not bad at all.

• Like 2

On 04/02/2021 at 23:15, HanoiVillan said:

I don't drink very much at the moment. I only drink during the week when Villa are playing, and have a maximum of 3 or 4 on Friday and Saturday nights.

I was listening to a segment on PM earlier this week with Adrian Chiles, and Evan Davis asked him 'so do you have days where you don't drink?' and he replied 'I do, yes' as if that wasn't a pretty extreme question to be asking, which made me feel better about how much I'm consuming.

I'm still piling on the pounds though, can't stop eating absolute garbage.

This is quite a good documentary if you haven't seen it before

• Like 3

20 hours ago, bickster said:

Bought as an experiment because it sounded so bad. It's as bad as it sounds. It's like someone mixed an IPA with a can of Lilt then gave it a bitter lemon aftertaste.

It's worse than it sounded.

Pineapple Milkshake IPA by the Black Sheep Brewery. This should be kept on the wrong side of The Pennines. ABV 5.3%

4CEAACED-3D7A-4D6D-AC35-C67DCA135C4A.jpeg

I had this a few months back. The first beer I'd not finished in a long while. Instantly went down the sink.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bickster said:

Unfiltered and unpasteurized for all your hipster beard goodness ABV 5%

You've changed!

It's slightly citrus fruity but overwhelmingly and satisfyingly tastes like beer

That's better!

Honestly, this clampdown has got people doing all kinds of strange things, and this thread is prima facia evidence to convict many for drink crime.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

Honestly, this clampdown has got people doing all kinds of strange things, and this thread is prima facia evidence to convict many for drink crime.

I'm experimenting out of boredom

• Like 1

Couple more HonestBrew discoveries:

Alpha-Delta-Hybris-2.jpg

A very creditable pale ale, with a nice mix of flavours. Was definitely better chilled; took me a while to drink it and I liked it less as I went on, but overall perfectly fine.

Musa-Remistura-Port-BA-Belgian-Strong-Go

If that was good, this was sensational. A golden ale brewed in port casks, with a perfect hint of the sweetness of port. I could drink this forever, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Sadly a limited edition, so may be hard to get and soon to disappear.

• Like 2

On 06/02/2021 at 21:24, theboyangel said:

I find DMF a bit meh. I've had the pineapple one too and it's not as good as the equivalent one that someone got me from Aldi last year (can't remember the name) or the magnificent Stiggins' Fancy from Plantation - the king of pineapple rums. I got the Hazelnut DMF for Christmas too which, like the others, I found a little chemical-tasting. It does make a nice addition to a hot chocolate after taking the dog a walk on a colder winter evening though!

Couple of other rums I've had recently:

Image result for plantation fiji

Took a little getting used to and quite liked it in the end. Not really what I expected - quite different to other rums I've tried but not a favourite. I found the smell a bit odd but it goes down alright.

Image result for angostura 1919

Much nicer. Very drinkable. In a similar price range to my favourite though - Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva - but not as good, so not sure I'll find myself buying another bottle any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/02/2021 at 21:02, DCJonah said:

Woodford reserve double oaked.

Alcoholic caramel. Beautiful stuff. 

Love a bit if Woodford Reserve (although I will shamefully admit I quite like it mixed with coke) - how does the double oaked compare?

On 06/02/2021 at 20:24, Seat68 said:

I have a bottle of 12 year old American Eagle bourbon unopened. Not touching it till I am in my new house. Tonight its wine. 

Be interested in your views on this - not tried American Eagle. Bought a family member the 15-year-old one as a Christmas present after seeing a great offer online late last year, and regret not getting one myself to sample.

3 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Love a bit if Woodford Reserve (although I will shamefully admit I quite like it mixed with coke) - how does the double oaked compare?

Be interested in your views on this - not tried American Eagle. Bought a family member the 15-year-old one as a Christmas present after seeing a great offer online late last year, and regret not getting one myself to sample.

I'm a big fan of Woodford Reserve but the double oaked takes it to a new level. Well worth a try. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Its arrived in the house. Will have a little sip tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

Â