What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

So that was 12%, and I've not had dinner. I am a bit wobbly. 

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why do all these "craft ale" people feel the need to plaster stupid pictures all over their cans? It's like a 3 year old has been given uncontrolled use of the full pallette of poster paints. 

Nothing wrong with a bit of character. It's just a can, you don't need to tattoo it on your face.

Some go incredibly bold, some go quite plain, like the bottle I pasted above. It's like there's something for everyone.

47 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why do all these "craft ale" people feel the need to plaster stupid pictures all over their cans? It's like a 3 year old has been given uncontrolled use of the full pallette of poster paints. 

OK boomer

;)

55 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I couldn't get through that one. I like some sours but I find them much more divisive to my palate than other styles. Hope you're enjoying it though!

It was ok. Not as sour as I would have liked but decent enough. A mid table offering! 

To prevent me traipsing around many shops looking for good cheap beer, what are your favourite supermarkets for stocking up with interesting beer while doing the shop? Of particular interest are any imperial stout/porters I can get my hands on for supermarket prices.

Morrissons is where I usually go, a few interesting sours, decent pales/IPAs, but not much in the way of any darker beers at all.

Tesco is pretty poor. Basically BrewDog's core range, 2 bays of bog standard "bitters", and a couple of shelves of different "craft" IPAs but nothing interesting really.

Aldi has some fairly pleasant cheap drinks which I wouldn't hesitate to load up on to chuck in a cooler for a garden party, but they're nothing special.

Considering a trip a bit further afield to M&S/Waitrose, 'cos I'm a posh bastard. 

From my experience Morrisons is the best. Went to the Lichfield one on Friday and it was even better than the Aldridge one I sometimes visit. Much better than Sainsburys. Tesco was poor and not tried Asda

M&S is probably second best, a fair sized selection and Waitrose would be third in my rankings. 

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

You bet I have! 

Not impressed with Brew Cavern, tbh, too small, and far too expensive. Hopology is my go-to beer shop, but I rarely come out of there having spent less than £50 (often closer to £100), so I like a decent supermarket top up occasionally :D

Incidentally, I mentioned Totally Brewed is one of my favourite breweries. Neon Raptor is probably joint with them. Definitely worth a visit if you're ever in Nottingham. It's a tiny pub, maybe 6 tables, and they brew in the back, so it often gets very steamy and smells, well, like a brewery, but they do some really exciting stuff, and it's a constantly rotating range. Back when pubs were allowed, we'd go in for a few after payday, and it is rare to see the same beer still on the menu. Good range of IPAs, sours, and dark beers, 

• Like 1

Two new beers (for me) last night:

450x450.jpg

I liked it more as I drank it. I found the hibiscus overpowering at first, and was angry at myself for breaking my 'never eat or drink flowers' rule, but as I settled in to it I could taste the kalamansi more and I enjoyed it more. Probably not one I'll rush back to though.

048a9925_2.png

I generally love amber ales, and a Google search leaves me none the wiser as to what the difference is between 'red ales' and 'amber ales', or indeed if there is any difference at all. However, this was very reminiscent of a nice, caramel-y amber ale. If anything, it might have been almost sweeter than others, almost toffee-ish. Very pleasant though, will come back to this one again. I also like the Clwb Tropicana from the same brewery, but have never really tried anything else from them, so will go investigate.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I recall that being a pleasant drink, but "craft beer" really has lost all meaning hasn't it?

Aye. Being owned by Greene King, I think calling itself 'craft' is a bit of a stretch! 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I also like the Clwb Tropicana from the same brewery, but have never really tried anything else from them, so will go investigate.

Tiny Rebel are one of my favourite breweries. Pretty much liked most of their output. 

Â