Football Kits 2018/19

sne

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That is awful. Was the white box really necessary? The shirt would have looked much cleaner with just the logo.

I think it's the case that the sponsor decides what they put on the kit. The white box means the logo stands out more, they don't really care if it looks nice.

I guess @NurembergVillan could confirm, but I think that's how it works. It's why I said above that it was good that West Brom's kits had the sponsor in different colours to match the kit as I thought they often didn't allow that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's the case that the sponsor decides what they put on the kit. The white box means the logo stands out more, they don't really care if it looks nice.

I guess @NurembergVillan could confirm, but I think that's how it works. It's why I said above that it was good that West Brom's kits had the sponsor in different colours to match the kit as I thought they often didn't allow that.

Absolutely right.  Some sponsors are image-conscious and want the logo to look right on the kit.  Others just want it to stand out as much as possible.

Back when I was designing the Lazio kit, the sponsor was Siemens Mobile.  At the time the rule was that it could be a maximum of 200cm sq.  Siemens HQ was only just up the road from Puma, so they used to send a marketing guy down to measure their logo on the final prototype to ensure it was as big as possible.  One year it was a different guy who refused to sign it off as it was registering closer to 199cm sq.  We tried to explain that as the logos are applied with heat there always has to be a tolerance for some shrinkage.  Took days to get it sorted and led to a slight delay in the fans being able to buy shirts.

Chang were an interesting one too, with Everton.  Being Thai there are certain colours that have different meanings so we had to be conscious of that.  Black was always an absolute no-no.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Absolutely right.  Some sponsors are image-conscious and want the logo to look right on the kit.  Others just want it to stand out as much as possible.

Back when I was designing the Lazio kit, the sponsor was Siemens Mobile.  At the time the rule was that it could be a maximum of 200cm sq.  Siemens HQ was only just up the road from Puma, so they used to send a marketing guy down to measure their logo on the final prototype to ensure it was as big as possible.  One year it was a different guy who refused to sign it off as it was registering closer to 199cm sq.  We tried to explain that as the logos are applied with heat there always has to be a tolerance for some shrinkage.  Took days to get it sorted and led to a slight delay in the fans being able to buy shirts.

Chang were an interesting one too, with Everton.  Being Thai there are certain colours that have different meanings so we had to be conscious of that.  Black was always an absolute no-no.

Yeah thought it would be like that. I think I remember you telling that Siemens story before.

So sometimes you did have to consider the sponsor when designing the kit? I always thought it would be a case of you would design the kit, essentially a blank canvas. Then the sponsor just gets slapped on whenever it was decided.

I guess it depends on whether it's a team with a regular sponsor or one that changes every year?

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah thought it would be like that. I think I remember you telling that Siemens story before.

So sometimes you did have to consider the sponsor when designing the kit? I always thought it would be a case of you would design the kit, essentially a blank canvas. Then the sponsor just gets slapped on whenever it was decided.

I guess it depends on whether it's a team with a regular sponsor or one that changes every year?

I've almost certainly used the Siemens story before!

Yeah we'd always take the sponsor into account if we know it beforehand.  If a club signs a deal at the last minute you're kippered.  That tends also to be the biggest factor in kits arriving in-store late.

Teams with regular sponsors were easier to design for as you'd know what they were up for, especially in terms of colour.  If a sponsor insists their sponsor is green regardless of background then you know you have to design around that.

The other factor is player names.  It impacts where you can put seams, how you shape the shoulders, and what you do with colour.  Designing for England we had to get special dispensation from UEFA and FIFA to use the lettering approved within the women's regulations on Shaun Wright-Phillips' kit because it's a massive name and a small shirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

The other factor is player names.  It impacts where you can put seams, how you shape the shoulders, and what you do with colour.  Designing for England we had to get special dispensation from UEFA and FIFA to use the lettering approved within the women's regulations on Shaun Wright-Phillips' kit because it's a massive name and a small shirt.

Like Hepburn-Murphy last night :D Looked like someone dropped some scrabble tiles on his shirt

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On that note, what's with the weird squiggle by the players names on the Championship kits this season?

It's the logo for the mental health charity, Mind.

I'm finding it hard to read some of the names though. Would've been better on the numbers I think.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's the logo for the mental health charity, Mind.

I'm finding it hard to read some of the names though. Would've been better on the numbers I think.

Ah, thought it would be something like that, like the prostate cancer awareness last season.

Â