The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Evidence to say it wasn’t offside?

Either, just some photos or lines or whatever. I had a look earlier and only saw lines for the ball being in play, and I’ve seen the possible foul in the replay obviously, haven’t seen anything for the offside apart from a still photo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Either, just some photos or lines or whatever. I had a look earlier and only saw lines for the ball being in play, and I’ve seen the possible foul in the replay obviously, haven’t seen anything for the offside apart from a still photo.

No lines which is strange. I think it would prove he was offside.

• Like 1

We're how many years into VAR now, it causes about ten times as much controversy, and no one knows what a foul or offside seems to be anymore.

This whole farce of not flagging for offside when they think it is offside, just in case.

Football as a sport wasn't set up to be 100% correct, that isn't the point of it. 

We watch it because its full of mistakes. Let the officials make errors too. These delays following goals have ruined it for me. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mantis said:

Seems weird to me that it's causing far more problems than it's solving and we're talking about the officiating more, not less, yet the possibility of it being scrapped seems next to nil.

You're not supposed to have this level of scrutiny on decisions in football. It's not a sport that can do that. Completely wrecked the excitement of celebrating goals as they're checking for things that no one has even noticed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

You're not supposed to have this level of scrutiny on decisions in football. It's not a sport that can do that. Completely wrecked the excitement of celebrating goals as they're checking for things that no one has even noticed.

Agreed. There's just too many moving parts. Too many games are being decided off the pitch and the VAR officials have far too much power and influence over things. Take for example the Luton goal against Liverpool where they were also checking for a Liverpool penalty.

Again, I think the whole issue is based on how it's run. A VAR official should be simply advising the on-field ref to have another look without saying anything to further influence, and then the on-field ref gets a couple of relevant angles at full speed and gets to decide whether to change his own decision or not.

It's so simple, it's actually comical how ridiculous the current situation is. Everyone hates it, it frequently doesn't work. If you need to look at something 30 times in slow motion, then it obviously wasn't a clear and obvious error. If you need to draw lines on the field, it's not a clear and obvious offside.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

If you need to look at something 30 times in slow motion, then it obviously wasn't a clear and obvious error. If you need to draw lines on the field, it's not a clear and obvious offside.

But if you look at the envelope full of cash in your pocket, it gets less clear.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, turvontour said:

We're how many years into VAR now, it causes about ten times as much controversy, and no one knows what a foul or offside seems to be anymore.

This whole farce of not flagging for offside when they think it is offside, just in case.

Football as a sport wasn't set up to be 100% correct, that isn't the point of it. 

We watch it because its full of mistakes. Let the officials make errors too. These delays following goals have ruined it for me. 

Mistakes in football officiating are not a feature, they are a bug. And since the very early days of the game, steps have been taken to mitigate the mistakes. Extra refs, flags, making referring a career, training, audio contact, 4th referee etc etc.

Var is no different.

It's just that the use of it is incorrect.

I stand by my thinking from when it was first trialed in the Polish league. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a referee being able to verify their decision. The problem only arises when we don't allow it to happen in the right way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Mistakes in football officiating are not a feature, they are a bug. And since the very early days of the game, steps have been taken to mitigate the mistakes. Extra refs, flags, making referring a career, training, audio contact, 4th referee etc etc.

Var is no different.

It's just that the use of it is incorrect.

I stand by my thinking from when it was first trialed in the Polish league. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a referee being able to verify their decision. The problem only arises when we don't allow it to happen in the right way. 

But it's been up to a humans opinion for all of football.

Now it's down to technology, it has to be right or wrong.

I just didn't think we had such a problem with the decisions being made for all those decades before VAR.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But it's not down to technology. How is it down to technology? 

Technology doesn't make a decision. It just shows a replay. 

The refs are the ones to blame, not a video replay. 

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I just didn't think we had such a problem with the decisions being made for all those decades before VAR.

I don't think we did either, but what we did have were managers (Fergie, Wenger etc) bitching like little brats because every 50 / 50 decision didn't go their way. So they brought in a system to fix that, but we still have managers bitching like little brats.

Maybe it was not the rules at fault, maybe it's the managers and the authority's inability to tell them to grow up.

On 07/11/2023 at 11:51, villa89 said:

It's rubbish, bin it off and the game would be much better for it. 

I'd be up for using VAR for semi-automated offsides (like in the European comps and FIFA tournaments) and nothing else. All other decisions include some degree of subjectivity and every VAR official's interpretation of an incident will be different, just as every referee's is. This has always been the case (for instance, just look at how much fouling Jarred Gillett lets go compared to other referees), but it is made more obvious when you have an official looking at the same bit of footage over and over vs. a ref making a split-second decision in the moment. 

On 07/11/2023 at 11:51, villa89 said:

It's rubbish, bin it off and the game would be much better for it. 

the big question for me is ''has it improved the game''?

the answer for that from me is a big fat no. However, as much as i and many others would like to see it removed, there is too much money in it now for that to happen.

It's a little cottage industry now.

• Like 4

VAR is falling to pieces, problems all over the place now, Liverpool game was a joke for VAR.

I don't know why they don't just let the referee,ref the game and if he makes a 'clear and obvious error, the VAR get involved. Ref and linesman are now not being arsed due to having VAR check everything that happens.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Ollie here saying that they admitted that it should have stood. 

i'll take it out of the bailey thread and in to here

on what grounds? he's offside when the header is made, I'm not sure how they can separate that out in to phases of play, its one phase surely - if the header goes in he's not interfering i get that and don't have a problem with that - if the header wasnt on target and was a terrible header that went all the way back out to bailey would he be offside or considered in a different phase of play? he'd be offside

as i said in the bailey thread if the keeper had saved it rather than the defender would it be defined as "playing the ball"? no, he'd be offside, in my opinion the defender has touched the ball, he hasn't played it, they've blurred what i interpret the old law to be where that was applicable to shit passes and touches

the law is a **** mess that lacks common sense, common sense and simplifying football and playing like it should be in my opinion its an easy decision that he's offside 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â