The pitch

DCJonah

You don't need a beautiful flat surface when the ball is hardly on it. It wouldn't surprise me if Bruce hasn't got them doing bobble practise in training. 

If we have made cuts then it is a shame because I always feel a sense of pride when I walk into Villa Park and the pitch looks so lush and beautiful. Let's face it, for years, the pitch has been the most attractive thing about Villa Park!

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Anyone else think the pitch looked awful yesterday? Worst i've seen it look in a long time.

Reading on twitter (could well be rubbish) that we have cut costs on ground keeping. Hope this is rubbish, as did we not used to win awards for this? 

If it gets a lot worse, a shit pitch isn't going to make playing at home easier in this vital 2nd half of the season

Did the stadium tour last season and the guide said we were getting the pitch relaid in the summer (i.e. Summer 2017). So that may have something to do with it if it went ahead?

Other people have said the pitch doesn't look great this season. I haven't really noticed it but maybe it comes across more on the TV?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Other people have said the pitch doesn't look great this season. I haven't really noticed it but maybe it comes across more on the TV?

Yep, who needs groundsmen to tell us when we have these Ultra HD TV's show the damage just as good.

Perhaps explains what that Hisense box was for then.   :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yep, who needs groundsmen to tell us when we have these Ultra HD TV's show the damage just as good.

Perhaps explains what that Hisense box was for then.   :ph34r:

Eh?

23 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Cost cutting makes sense, in the big time we always had an immaculate pitch, however this has an expensive running cost. The club has been made a lot 'leaner' so I'd imagine groundsmen/ some of the equippment (which represents substantial Capex and maintainance costs) have been let go/ sold off.

Sorry to be pedantic but wouldn't that be an Opex cost?

my understanding last year was they had put out a tender to do some electrical works around and under the pitch, something to do with the advertising boards and the lights, only got a brief description of it and didnt properly understand but i think we've put sockets in the pitch for the heat bulb things and there was an issue that the electric bills at VP were sky high due to inefficiency, meant that it was dug up in the summer and the pitch is slightly lower, i'll admit that i havent actually been to VP this year but they also mentioned double banking the electric advertising boards, from what ive seen on TV that didnt happen

if those works went ahead that will probably be part of the reason

Edited by villa4europe

On 07/01/2018 at 12:43, DCJonah said:

Anyone else think the pitch looked awful yesterday? Worst i've seen it look in a long time.

Reading on twitter (could well be rubbish) that we have cut costs on ground keeping. Hope this is rubbish, as did we not used to win awards for this? 

If it gets a lot worse, a shit pitch isn't going to make playing at home easier in this vital 2nd half of the season

Can't believe I saw this thread, I thought exactly that on Saturday, clear lines of dark patches between lines of grass. 

It's been years since the pitch at Villa Park has looked anything less than perfect. 

Didn't we lose our head groundsman to Barcelona a couple of years ago? New guy not up to it? 

Anyone remember the green sand from the last FA Cup semi a few years back? 

We seem to be less Premier League and more Championship every day now. 

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

PSG about 3/4 years back, we've won best pitch since so the latest guy must be ok still

Clearly living on the good work of his predecessor. Now we’ve hit a bad patch it’s all gone to pieces. #GroundsmanOut

Â