The pitch

DCJonah

Anyone else think the pitch looked awful yesterday? Worst i've seen it look in a long time.

Reading on twitter (could well be rubbish) that we have cut costs on ground keeping. Hope this is rubbish, as did we not used to win awards for this? 

If it gets a lot worse, a shit pitch isn't going to make playing at home easier in this vital 2nd half of the season

Edited by DCJonah

Looked like a lower league pitch. Only reasons I can think of are the weather we've had recently and the amount of games in a short period of time. I'm hoping after the u23 game on monday that the ground staff get some time to sort it out! 

Looked to me like it had been spiked to aid drainage following the heavy rain we've had recently. I think the pitch looked worse than it played as I didn't notice any uneven bobbles during the 90 and it wasn't playing slow.

Cost cutting makes sense, in the big time we always had an immaculate pitch, however this has an expensive running cost. The club has been made a lot 'leaner' so I'd imagine groundsmen/ some of the equippment (which represents substantial Capex and maintainance costs) have been let go/ sold off.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Cost cutting makes sense, in the big time we always had an immaculate pitch, however this has an expensive running cost. The club has been made a lot 'leaner' so I'd imagine groundsmen/ some of the equippment (which represents substantial Capex and maintainance costs) have been let go/ sold off.

How much is the club saving, though, I wonder? Surely it’s only in the tens/hundreds of thousands (max). It’s a worrying indication of how bad our finances are (if true). 

36 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Moan moan moan.

First you lot moan about the performance, and now the pitch.

You may aswell just go and support someone else.

But i warn you, the grass isnt always greener.

Think you mean mown mown mown

Edited by sne
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

it's definitely looked worse to me this season than any before. I've watched 99% of the home games either on ESPN or AVTV. Brown patches were visible about as early as October. 

I thought that at football grounds these days real grass was woven into artificial grass which prevents the wear and tear "all grass" pitches suffer from?

Â