The Half Way Point

alreadyexists

So we’re four games away from the halfway point of the Championship season. By the time we play; Leeds (A), Millwall (H), Derby (A) and Sheffield United (H), we will have played 23 games.

Where do people see us after the next four games? How do you think the first half has gone? And what points total do you think is realistic?

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

So we’re four games away from the halfway point of the Championship season. By the time we play; Leeds (A), Millwall (H), Derby (A) and Sheffield United (H), we will have played 23 games.

Where do people see us after the next four games? How do you think the first half has gone? And what points total do you think is realistic?

I see us on 42 and still 4th. Poor start to the season has meant we've been playing catch up from September onwards and we've done a great job getting to where we are. I think the next 4 games will say a lot about whether we are the real deal for 2nd or likely settling for a playoff place. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vreitti said:

If we pull that off, I'll never say a bad word about the manager again.

Can we get that signed please? :trollface:

I cant see us avoiding defeat in these four i am afraid to say

i think we will lose to leeds, beat millwall, draw with derby beat sheff united giving 7 out of 12, not the best but not a disaster either 

• Like 1

Im expecting Wolves and Cardiff to get 9-12 points from their next 4 - maybe they slip up in one game - but I cant see them dropping too many points. They may stretch the gap a bit between 2nd and 3rd between now and Xmas.

Wolverhampton Wanderers - SHA [a], Sunderland, Sheff Weds [a], Ipswich
Cardiff City - Norwich, Reading [a], Hull, Bolton [a]

Sheff Utd and Bristol City each have 2 tricky looking games against other teams in the top 8 in that run. We have 3 of them. With any luck, Bristol City may get a little distracted by their EFL Cup QF against Man Utd - a massive game for them. For us I am more looking to go unbeaten than worrying about points too much. 1 win and 3 draws wouldn't be the end of the world. Obviously 8 - 12 points would be great and hitting that 2 ppg average. 6 or 7 wouldn't trouble me too much given the fixtures and our current injury list. But it's important to me how we gather those points. 6 points from 2 wins against Leeds and Millwall with 2 losses to Derby and Sheff Utd wont help us much. Also every time this season we've got to a point we're all fairly happy with we've stumbled and left ourselves playing catch up. The start - Wolves - SHA - Sheff Weds. Would be nice to break that habit sometime. Now would be nice.

Sheffield United - Millwall [a], Bristol City, Preston [a], Aston Villa [a]
Aston Villa - Leeds [a], Millwall, Derby [a], Sheff United
Bristol City
- Middlesbrough, Sheff United [a], Notts Forest, (EFL Cup QF v Man Utd), QPR [a], Reading

With Brentford [a], Middlesbrough [a] and Bristol City the next three fixtures for us after that run and between Xmas and New Year it doesn't get any easier for us after Sheff Utd either. But this is why everyone is saying it is a season defining period. We have a massive opportunity over the next 7 games to put some real distance between us and 7th at the very least. Staying in the top 4 would be amazing imho and staying within 8-9 points of 2nd after the Bristol City game would not have me panicking one bit. If we harbour any real ambition of 2nd place we were/are always going to have to have a good second half to the season after our start.

Derby, Leeds and Middlesbrough have 1 tough looking game (against us and Bristol City respectively) in that run. Middlesbrough's fixtures not looking as winnable as the other 2 to me. Leeds, after they play us will have played all the top teams and have a nice looking run over Xmas and New Year so expect them to make an appearance in the top 6 again soon. Derby are the ones to watch in the pack though as far as I'm concerned.

Derby County - Burton, Barnsley [a], Aston Villa, Millwall
Middlesbrough - Bristol City [a], Ipswich, Millwall [a], Sheff Weds [a]
Leeds - Aston Villa, QPR [a], Norwich, Hull

I'm with Doug though FWIW. I think we'll win the 2 home games and draw the 2 away games so 8 points. And 43 at the turnaround.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Freaky.  I was sitting looking and thinking/analysing this exact thing last night.

For me right now we are situated correctly in the table, as most of us agreed at tye start of the season it is where we should be at this stage.

Ideally after the next 4 games I think we still need to be in this position or 2nd/3rd place. Leeds, Derby and Sheff Utd we need a minimum of a draw or better on these 3 fixtures. Millwall we should be looking to take 3 pts from this game no question.

The first half of the season felt it took a little while to get going and almost missed the train, we have made good gentle progress since October and find ourselfs in a good position half way.

I would not like to guess a points total.

I think all that would be acceptable is a finish in the top 2 no matter how many points it takes us.

I hope we kick on in the second half of tge season like we are ending the first half.

Grinding out results and winning games even if it is ugly at times.

:flag:

Could make a big statement if we manage to jag 3 wins out of the four. Its a shame Cardiff have such an easy run in their next 4. If we can be real close to them at half way I pick us to roll them and finish 2nd. 

I have my opinion on Bruce but with what he is getting out of the team, whilst juggling injuries, to try and bag him now is dumb. 

Its weird but I almost have a sense of optimism. The key is to somehow not lose ground to Cardiff over these 4 games. Get JT back and rock n roll the 2nd half. 

I hope I haven't just blown the kiss of death.

UTV

It's all about dealing with the pressure of being near the top now.  I'm **** glad we've got people like JT in the squad, who are used to being winners.  They can teach the others how to deal with it.  

We've seen it before with Villa, being at the top at christmas can really affect your form.  If you sit in that little bubble just under the top, you kind of make yourself unnoticed - that's the play I like to be in.  

I can see teams like Cardiff and Sheff Utd being unable to cope, they'll drop points against lesser sides I think, just because the focus will be on them and they don't have many players used to being in that situation.  

It's an incredibly hard place to be, but I think we're going about it the right way.  Hard to beat, capable of scoring and having a large squad to deal with injuries.  We're looking good to me.  I can't see the bubble bursting just yet.  My one concern is we need goals from people other than Adomah - that's troubling me a bit, I want to see goals from others.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's all about dealing with the pressure of being near the top now.  I'm **** glad we've got people like JT in the squad, who are used to being winners.  They can teach the others how to deal with it.  

We've seen it before with Villa, being at the top at christmas can really affect your form.  If you sit in that little bubble just under the top, you kind of make yourself unnoticed - that's the play I like to be in.  

I can see teams like Cardiff and Sheff Utd being unable to cope, they'll drop points against lesser sides I think, just because the focus will be on them and they don't have many players used to being in that situation.  

It's an incredibly hard place to be, but I think we're going about it the right way.  Hard to beat, capable of scoring and having a large squad to deal with injuries.  We're looking good to me.  I can't see the bubble bursting just yet.  My one concern is we need goals from people other than Adomah - that's troubling me a bit, I want to see goals from others.  

Great post you skinny tart!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

It may seem that way, but looking at BOFs tables, they haven't done so well against the "lesser teams".

Then this is good, as if Cardiff can stumble in one or two and we can jag 9-10 pts then we would almost be favourites for 2nd spot. 

I do see wolves maintaining their form enough to win it but we could stranglehold 2nd if we can keep it up. 

SB will always have me worrying when I watch us but seeing the 3pts regularly cannot be argued with. 

I surrender to the other side. I can no longer fight the fight. 

Cmon Steve we love you!

22 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I surrender to the other side. I can no longer fight the fight. 

Cmon Steve we love you!

Don't give in so easily mate, best to wait at least until we've reached halfway point! :o

Â