January transfer window 2018

Jareth

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That would cost our whole kitty. I think the majority of signings will come from abroad. Risky but only way to find value. 

To be fair no one knows what our kitty will be. I’d say £100m would have to be the minimum on 4/5 1st team players then a bit more on squad fillers. Promotion as a minimum is worth £200m over 3/4 years. If we buy players that will have resale value we would be fine spending  big lump 

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If we go up I'm almost certain we will instantly sign Snodgrass and Johnstone for continuity. 

I've no idea what happens if we don't go up. More loans I expect and I imagine we would try for Snodders again at least. No idea how it will shake down.

I can see the arguments for signing him and I like him as a player and what he's doing for us this season. But spending big money on a player that will be 31 in September, well,  we've been down that road too many times before.

Although I agree that continuity is good I would say no if the asking price anything over 7million for Snoddy. He would have absolutely no resale value at the end of a 3/4 year contract which is the length of time I'm sure he'd be hoping for.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its tougher getting promoted than staying up in premier league 

Some smart signings and we could stay up

Some smart signings and we could have won the league. I think all that is easier said than done. Whenever I watch the prem it seems an enormous jump in quality. Shit teams are blowing £30million on players now. 

4 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Some smart signings and we could have won the league. I think all that is easier said than done. Whenever I watch the prem it seems an enormous jump in quality. Shit teams are blowing £30million on players now. 

Really? I feel the opposite.

Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield will all likely stay up, despite being very average.

Ive been surprised at the ease in which the likes of Bounemouth, Burnley, Watford etc have become midtable prem teams on the last few years.

15 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I can see the arguments for signing him and I like him as a player and what he's doing for us this season. But spending big money on a player that will be 31 in September, well,  we've been down that road too many times before.

Although I agree that continuity is good I would say no if the asking price anything over 7million for Snoddy. He would have absolutely no resale value at the end of a 3/4 year contract which is the length of time I'm sure he'd be hoping for.

I think £7m for a Premier League club is peanuts. It's the new £500k. I'd go as high at £10m because as I say we will require that continuity, even if he isn't starting every week. 

André Green will be ready, O'Hare will be ready, we will need to sign some 'serious' quality but above all we will need to keep the team ethic that (hopefully) got us there alive and well. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Really? I feel the opposite.

Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield will all likely stay up, despite being very average.

I will be suprised if the Barcodes stay up if Ashley fails to invest in January.

One of the teams I actually hope are relegated just purely down to how he runs the club.

43 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think £7m for a Premier League club is peanuts. It's the new £500k. I'd go as high at £10m because as I say we will require that continuity, even if he isn't starting every week. 

André Green will be ready, O'Hare will be ready, we will need to sign some 'serious' quality but above all we will need to keep the team ethic that (hopefully) got us there alive and well. 

Maybe you're right. 10million for a 31 year old is a gamble with the potential for him to get injured but the money up there is absolutely insane these days and will only get worse.

I hope Green is ready, not sure that O'Hare will be just yet. Maybe the season after next. But one thing is for sure,  it's finally exciting to be a Villa fan again! 

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Maybe you're right. 10million for a 31 year old is a gamble with the potential for him to get injured but the money up there is absolutely insane these days and will only get worse.

I hope Green is ready, not sure that O'Hare will be just yet. Maybe the season after next. But one thing is for sure,  it's finally exciting to be a Villa fan again! 

Andre Green is ready now in my opinion, 2 more goals tonight. He will be take Adomah's shirt by season end. 

Re: O'Hare I mean more as a squad player. Snodgrass, Green, Adomah and O'Hare would be an acceptable wing quartet in the Premier League, at least for the end of the table we will be competing at. I think we need to be realistic and take an 'ok' in some positions and try to improve in more obvious areas, especially as they will all know the club and each other inside and out. 

We would still need a striker, a midfielder to compete with Hourihane if he isn't quite up to it, a defensive mid and 2 full backs. And a keeper. And to keep John Terry. Which is why you take the easy option in Snodgrass.

Wyness is right that £100m won't get us very far, but it'll be a nice headache to have. 

• Like 1

Unless Johnstone gets recalled to Man U or gets snapped up he is deservedly our number 1, not overly sure why thats up for debate. Snodgrass will perform well in the lower end of the PL plus with Green coming back that puts competition for left wing between Green and Adomah, plus the right wing with Snodders and Adomah but I would like to see better quality winger signed for the right wing. Hourihane and Grealish will step up to the plate for the Prem, how ever as been said Whelan and Jedi won't have the legs for it and I Lansbury and Thor don't really have the quality so will need to look at the midfield. Chester CB mainstay Terry will go no doubt, Taylor, Hutton and Elmo will be ok but could do with more quality in the fallbacks. Then definitely need a quality striker, I put my count at needing at least 4 signings if we go up then we have a chance of staying up, a complete squad overhaul will see us going back down.

Back to the thread about this window, I'm disappointed we have yet to add a striker of experience and quality on loan to see us to the end of the season. Hogan is doing well but if he gets injured bye bye 2nd place and unless Elphick is on his way out I can't see the point of the Man U kid (I forget his name)

29 minutes ago, Alexbass08 said:

Unless Johnstone gets recalled to Man U or gets snapped up he is deservedly our number 1, not overly sure why thats up for debate. Snodgrass will perform well in the lower end of the PL plus with Green coming back that puts competition for left wing between Green and Adomah, plus the right wing with Snodders and Adomah but I would like to see better quality winger signed for the right wing. Hourihane and Grealish will step up to the plate for the Prem, how ever as been said Whelan and Jedi won't have the legs for it and I Lansbury and Thor don't really have the quality so will need to look at the midfield. Chester CB mainstay Terry will go no doubt, Taylor, Hutton and Elmo will be ok but could do with more quality in the fallbacks. Then definitely need a quality striker, I put my count at needing at least 4 signings if we go up then we have a chance of staying up, a complete squad overhaul will see us going back down.

Back to the thread about this window, I'm disappointed we have yet to add a striker of experience and quality on loan to see us to the end of the season. Hogan is doing well but if he gets injured bye bye 2nd place and unless Elphick is on his way out I can't see the point of the Man U kid (I forget his name)

Its because his nickname is count Dracula. 

As for strikers I've no doubt the club are trying hard to find an ideal loan but it must be difficult to bring in proven quality on loan in Jan. I think we will end up with a youngster like the lad at Swansea. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Its because his nickname is count Dracula. 

As for strikers I've no doubt the club are trying hard to find an ideal loan but it must be difficult to bring in proven quality on loan in Jan. I think we will end up with a youngster like the lad at Swansea. 

Why is his nickname that? :blink:

Looks like we are missing out on Ulloa then with Woy apparantly willing to pay all his wages and take him on loan.

Dashed as I really feel Ulloa would have been the finishing touch after Tuanzebe is announced soon, to our squad.

So who should we go for now instead?

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Looks like we are missing out on Ulloa then with Woy apparantly willing to pay all his wages and take him on loan.

Dashed as I really feel Ulloa would have been the finishing touch after Tuanzebe is announced soon, to our squad.

So who should we go for now instead?

I would be surprised if we still don't sign a striker on loan. As good as hogans been he is injury prone and likely to pick up an injury. Davis umd the profolic and RMH is always injure as well. Only leaves gabby and I don't want him playing. He is finished with us. Give him last run out against derby to say bye to the fans.