January transfer window 2018

Jareth

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Signing loads of players in January, any window in fact, very very rarely works out. If ever. 

If I'm wrong I'd love to be shown some examples. One key signing can make all the difference, but 4/5?

I think we will bring in 2 names on loan for sure and can't see many more than this really unless we are definately cancelling Onomah's loan then 3 loan signings tops.

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Signing loads of players in January, any window in fact, very very rarely works out. If ever. 

If I'm wrong I'd love to be shown some examples. One key signing can make all the difference, but 4/5?

I agree look at us in January. The first game we got battered by Brentford. It took a while for them to settle. I think we need 2-3 players tops 

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ill add a caveat to this...In the short term!

Sell Elphick and McCormack then give Palace £3m loan fee and get Benteke back with option to buy. If we are looking at RVP we can afford the wages. We can all dream. If we are getting a striker in he needs to be happy to sit on bench or be a lot better than Hogan 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Sell Elphick and McCormack then give Palace £3m loan fee and get Benteke back with option to buy. If we are looking at RVP we can afford the wages. We can all dream. If we are getting a striker in he needs to be happy to sit on bench or be a lot better than Hogan 

Why don't we just go for Salah?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Why don't we just go for Salah?

Mmmm might be a bit far fetched for a speculation thread but seeing as Benteke made press rumours I think mines a little less fanciful. I’m sure most would think RVP would be fanciful but we’ve turned him down. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How the hell can one of the best strikers in Europe in the past 10 years be turned down for footballing reasons at 34?

I think it was either we could afford to pay him to play football for us. That's a football reason.

Or he preferred to play his last year back in the land of his birth and with his first club Feyernoord. 

I'm glad we turned down RVP, it show's the new board are not going to carry on in the same vein as previously bringing in past it players on ridiculous wages and for stupid lengths of time.

Granted he would probably score goals in this league, but stick him on a 3 year deal as he would most likely demand and we would end up with him on our books for two extra years when we should be looking at better quality, younger players in the Premier League (hopefully)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm glad we turned down RVP, it show's the new board are not going to carry on in the same vein as previously bringing in past it players on ridiculous wages and for stupid lengths of time.

Granted he would probably score goals in this league, but stick him on a 3 year deal as he would most likely demand and we would end up with him on our books for two extra years when we should be looking at better quality, younger players in the Premier League (hopefully)

14 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think it was either we could afford to pay him to play football for us. That's a football reason.

Or he preferred to play his last year back in the land of his birth and with his first club Feyernoord. 

Those reasons sound like financial or contract reasons. Footballing reasons would suggest to me he is not the kind of player we are looking for or is no longer good enough. 

Just more spin from our snake oil salesmans of a CEO in my opinion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ulloa ain't happening. Forget about it. 

You see I thought this also but even though Palace have offered him a loan contract aswell it has not been agrees and I feel it is Leicester we are waiting on with this mainly.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You see I thought this also but even though Palace have offered him a loan contract aswell it has not been agrees and I feel it is Leicester we are waiting on with this mainly.

You'll be disappointed mate. 

32 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

#ITK

;)

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You'll be disappointed mate. 

;)

I’m on tenterhooks! If this comes off it’ll be the biggest ITK win since that bloke said he “had us all wobbling” 

fwiw, I think Ulloa will likely want PL football so even at reduced wages/terms he’ll likely take Palace or someone else’s offer. If he does come that would be excellent for us though.

• Like 1