England v Slovenia Lithuania v England

andykeenan

42 minutes ago, rosenthal said:

The 21 he played last season probably, he's after all only recently hit form this season after many months with injury

97% pass completion first half, 20% more than Henderson

Regardless, he shouldn’t be starting games for England but premature England call ups for Spurs players isn’t a new thing. That he is playing says more about the lack of decent English players than it does his ability, passing stats mean very little.

• Like 1

Southgate seems to be trying to play the possession style a la Spain etc, without realising they don't just keep the ball, they move it and move it fast.

We have played the entire game at walking pace.

17 minutes ago, andym said:

Sturridge is another like Alli who doesn't seem to realise he has 10 teamates on the pitch with him.

Selfish, arrogant players both of them.

It's abundantly clear to most that he is pretty much finished, at least as far as being a forward at a top 4/5 club is concerned. He is destined for Stoke next season. He is a player who has always relied on explosive speed, he has lost most of that due to injury and this is affecting his confidence in front of goal. He has at most 2-3 years left in the top flight before he will either have to go to the MLS or retire. Why he has been picked is beyond me, he is done. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's abundantly clear to most that he is pretty much finished, at least as far as being a forward at a top 4/5 club is concerned. He is destined for Stoke next season. He is a player who has always relied on explosive speed, he has lost most of that due to injury and this is affecting his confidence in front of goal. He has at most 2-3 years left in the top flight before he will either have to go to the MLS or retire. Why he has been picked is beyond me, he is done. 

He has that Torres at Chelsea look about him, he needed that yard of pace and without it would never be the same. All the talk at the time of "just needing a goal and he will go on a run" was clear to see was nonsense. Same as what we were hearing tonight. The goals are not coming.

He is done.

Edited by rodders0223

24 minutes ago, andym said:

Yep, all these players get hyped up because the clubs they play for do well.

It ignores the fact that those clubs do well because of the foreign players. Players like Sterling can be effective, but only because they get so much room as the opposition is spending all their time trying to stop Silva, Aguero, De Bruyne etc.

Could go on all day about it but the obscene amounts of money create incredible short term incentives, the sort of incentives that means clubs will go and invariably buy players more than they will look to develop their own. Governing bodies have not done enough to protect the 'national' game. As a result it is in its worst state since in many a year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, andym said:

Half the problem is in his head, he hasn't got the tough mentality you need. How many times do little knocks that most would play through become weeks out injured for him?

Why bother when you earn £120k per week? 

Like a lot of players in this country, they have lost the desire that got them where they are. 

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Comfortable qualification. well done Gareth! 

It would do England good if they had an Italy or Portugal in the next group.

Would be a major build up like a tournament game and be a proper home and away test.

Just beating east european teams 1/2-0 shows nothing just like it did in euro 2016 and world cup 2014 qualification.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It would do England good if they had an Italy or Portugal in the next group.

Would be a major build up like a tournament game and be a proper home and away test.

Just beating east european teams 1/2-0 shows nothing just like it did in euro 2016 and world cup 2014 qualification.

Doesn't matter. We all know that England are going to do absolutely nothing at any tournament in the next 10 years.

Yeah I know but at least they'd be a bit of excitement and tension in the group. In the 10 games the only interesting bit was the last 5 minutes at Hampden.

One of my first big football memories growing up was England in 1997 going to Italy and holding them to a 0-0 which meant they finished a point ahead of Italy. That was a very tense night of football.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I know but at least they'd be a bit of excitement and tension in the group. In the 10 games the only interesting bit was the last 5 minutes at Hampden.

One of my first big football memories growing up was England in 1997 going to Italy and holding them to a 0-0 which meant they finished a point ahead of Italy. That was a very tense night of football.

rather be in it than out though Chris like 74 which was considered a national disaster, 78 and then 94

True but qualifiers are what they are. They dont have to be entertaining. Its just about getting to the the world cup itself. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as your there. Hopefully we unearth a gem or two in that time. or rashford becomes a world beater. Maybe give Tammy Abraham a go. We have Kane and Alli who are top class. Rashford can join them then maybe Sterling can move to another level.  Walker despite what people say is as good an attacking fullback as there is in world football. We need to find a midfield general.

You look at France for all their talent. They are scraping through and they look crap, as bad as us. Sweden are ok but France should be 10 pts clear of them. Belgium look the business in the group stage. this will be their world cup. Three world class players. Two are 26 one is 24. Its their time. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

True but qualifiers are what they are. They dont have to be entertaining. Its just about getting to the the world cup itself. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as your there. Hopefully we unearth a gem or two in that time. or rashford becomes a world beater. Maybe give Tammy Abraham a go. We have Kane and Alli who are top class. Rashford can join them then maybe Sterling can move to another level.  Walker despite what people say is as good an attacking fullback as there is in world football. We need to find a midfield general.

You look at France for all their talent. They are scraping through and they look crap, as bad as us. Sweden are ok but France should be 10 pts clear of them. Belgium look the business in the group stage. this will be their world cup. Three world class players. Two are 26 one is 24. Its their time. 

That would put them on 29 points after 9 games.

Now that would be impressive! ;)

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sweden would have dropped points from when beat France ;)

Yeah I know :D

But at best they could pick up 6 points from Sweden, not really France's fault if Sweden plays well against the other teams in the group.

Agree on France thou, they are not there yet.

Edited by sne

Don't get me wrong from what I have seen of Sweden they have very impressive but France have so many highly rated players they should be a lot better and I cant see them getting past the quarters in the world cup. 

Â