The Apple Thread

Stevo985

On 17/09/2022 at 21:36, limpid said:

Genuine question. Can't you make the AirPods "ring" to find them? My last couple of set of buds have done this (in quite different ways).

Yeah you can, it’s in the “Find My” app, it’ll also have a pin on a map to show you where they are (not sure what accuracy that has but I think <3m from memory).

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

it’ll also have a pin on a map to show you where they are

The thing that helped, or completely solved, really find my missing AirPod wasn’t the map, it was the circle thingy.  It started as a white dot in the centre of a large white circle on a black background and “FAR AWAY try moving” and then the circle would either disappear and say “signal lost” or stay the same. I wandered up and down the same strip of hedgerow for maybe 15 minutes, marking each end where the signal was lost, but I never got anything other than FAR AWAY. Then I started over at the uphill end, holding the phone lower to the ground and pulling up more vegetation and working my way down the hedgerow. Suddenly the display changed to blue, from black, the dot in the middle got larger and it said something like “quite near” and then as I inched along minesweeping with phone it went to “next to the phone” or some such and indeed there it was, still hidden under grass, but I got it back.

The tool isn’t perfect, but it found a needle in a haystack, which is pretty magic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

The thing that helped, or completely solved, really find my missing AirPod wasn’t the map, it was the circle thingy.  It started as a white dot in the centre of a large white circle on a black background and “FAR AWAY try moving” and then the circle would either disappear and say “signal lost” or stay the same. I wandered up and down the same strip of hedgerow for maybe 15 minutes, marking each end where the signal was lost, but I never got anything other than FAR AWAY. Then I started over at the uphill end, holding the phone lower to the ground and pulling up more vegetation and working my way down the hedgerow. Suddenly the display changed to blue, from black, the dot in the middle got larger and it said something like “quite near” and then as I inched along minesweeping with phone it went to “next to the phone” or some such and indeed there it was, still hidden under grass, but I got it back.

The tool isn’t perfect, but it found a needle in a haystack, which is pretty magic.

Very similar story with mine, they were in my garage but I’d looked all over the house before remembering to check the app. 

I’ve also heard a grisly story about someone finding a missing person this way too, won’t do detail obv.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 12:46, blandy said:

Apple also has the annoying habit of “innovating” by removing stuff - disk drives, headphone jack etc.  

I've got a macbook pro and I love it, but I do smile when I see the marketing for the new models harping on about the amount of ports it has as a positive, when they took them away for my model

Model 1 - ports

Model 2 - no ports

Model 3 - Hey look we've added all these cool ports!

• Like 1

Any Air Pod Pro owners can tell me what they think of the Noise Cancelling function?

How good is it, does it cancel out all background noise or can you still hear things?

The reason i ask is that i’m on my 4th pair now, all replaced by Apple as everyone i’ve had has failed.

I have to say, the pair i have now i’m disappointed with as i’m hearing background noise. I’ve done the ear tip test and all is good, I’ve changed the tips to Comply Memory Foam one’s (which are great and far better than the standard one’s) but i can still hear things.

It’s at the stage where i’m now paranoid about it.

I recall my first one’s were brilliant and i couldn’t hear any background noise at all.

Interested in any fellow user's experiences.

35 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Any Air Pod Pro owners can tell me what they think of the Noise Cancelling function?

How good is it, does it cancel out all background noise or can you still hear things?

The reason i ask is that i’m on my 4th pair now, all replaced by Apple as everyone i’ve had has failed.

Have you tried any other manufacturers to see if they work better for you? The Sony XF-1000XM4 do a superb job (especially with Speak-to-Chat), but I usually use mine in adaptive (transparent) mode.

37 minutes ago, limpid said:

Have you tried any other manufacturers to see if they work better for you? The Sony XF-1000XM4 do a superb job (especially with Speak-to-Chat), but I usually use mine in adaptive (transparent) mode.

I've just stuck with the Apple one's.

I think i'm at that stage now where i'm prepared to try some alternatives.

4 minutes ago, imavillan said:

I've just stuck with the Apple one's.

I think i'm at that stage now where i'm prepared to try some alternatives.

The Pixel Bud Pros are excellent too. I've no idea how well all these work between Android / iOS. I know that the site I get most of my Chromebook news from has one (of three) presenters who only recently gave up his airpod pros for pixel bud pros and he was using them with a Pixel phone. You do get the huge advantage on Android phones that the audio API exposes autoEQ so apps can customise / preset frequency response data for your headphones. But we're off topic now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, imavillan said:

I have to say, the pair i have now i’m disappointed with as i’m hearing background noise. I’ve done the ear tip test and all is good, I’ve changed the tips to Comply Memory Foam one’s (which are great and far better than the standard one’s) but i can still hear things.

It’s at the stage where i’m now paranoid about it.

I recall my first one’s were brilliant and i couldn’t hear any background noise at all.

Interested in any fellow user's experiences.

I've got some and they're excellent. better than I thought they would be.

Not sure how they compare to other brands (these were a gift so I didn't shop around) but they work perfectly fine for me.

My previous pair had an issue with white noise but after some googling it's a known issue and Apple replaced them for free.

I guess my only point of note is they don't cancel out EVERYTHING. You're still going to hear some background noise. Just nowhere near as much. And they're far better with constant noise as well rather than sudden noises

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello my apple using VTers (I'm an android boy).... does anyone know a reputable place - not online - to buy a refurbished iPhone that's not 12 or above ? My bro has n iPhone 5 - yes, I know !

He'd be happy with 8 9 or 10 but I don't trust onliners. It's a surprise present for his 50th.

Apple and Curry stores don't do older than 12 and I suppose I could go to carphonewarehouse but wondered if there are other reputable places to visit

TIA

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Hello my apple using VTers (I'm an android boy).... does anyone know a reputable place - not online - to buy a refurbished iPhone that's not 12 or above ? My bro has n iPhone 5 - yes, I know !

He'd be happy with 8 9 or 10 but I don't trust onliners. It's a surprise present for his 50th

TIA

I used Amazon Renewed. Got an 8 for about £150, about 12 months ago. Doesn't come in an Apple box, but comes with a charging lead and plug (no earphones). It was immaculate with 100% battery health from memory. You get the peace of mind of a 1 year Amazon guarantee as well. 

My Mom used Music Magpie for her 8, and that was about the same cost. Again, immaculate condition. 

EDIT: Do'h - they're both online!

Could try CEX shops? They'll be at a premium price though from memory

Edited by Xela

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I used Amazon Renewed. Got an 8 for about £150, about 12 months ago. Doesn't come in an Apple box, but comes with a charging lead and plug (no earphones). It was immaculate with 100% battery health from memory. You get the peace of mind of a 1 year Amazon guarantee as well. 

My Mom used Music Magpie for her 8, and that was about the same cost. Again, immaculate condition. 

EDIT: Do'h - they're both online!

Could try CEX shops? They'll be at a premium price though from memory

Aah...

Cheers Alex....now, amazon renewed is one I'd like to check out especially with that guarantee. 

Thanks mate 

• Thanks 1

Anyone know how to get an iPad out of restore mode and into DFU mode? All the online advice I read talks about how to get it into DFU mode, but I can't get it out of restore mode! They say you should turn off the iPad, then plug it in, the hold down whatever while it's off, but it keeps turning itself back on into restore mode. Driving me nuts.

On 02/11/2022 at 19:09, mottaloo said:

Aah...

Cheers Alex....now, amazon renewed is one I'd like to check out especially with that guarantee. 

Thanks mate 

From £99 for an 8 here at giffgaff

GiffGaff

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

On 02/11/2022 at 20:33, Anthony said:

Anyone know how to get an iPad out of restore mode and into DFU mode? All the online advice I read talks about how to get it into DFU mode, but I can't get it out of restore mode! They say you should turn off the iPad, then plug it in, the hold down whatever while it's off, but it keeps turning itself back on into restore mode. Driving me nuts.

Which model of iPad?  Also I think it needs to be plugged in to your Mac or pc before you do the firmware update.

• 2 weeks later...
Â