The Apple Thread

Stevo985

Bought my MacBook Pro in 2013; I still use it everyday, looks brand new and is the same speed as the day I bought it. Cost me around £1,300 at the time with a student discount applied but it's probably the best purchase I've ever made.

I would like to upgrade to a new version now as I'm sure they are a lot better; but I have absolutely no reason to.

• Like 1

Has anyone bought new straps for their Apple Watches?

I'm trying to find some new straps for mine; looking for a black leather, brown leather and a black metal strap. The official straps from Apple are ridiculously pricey, the companys that sell them seem really overpriced, then the Amazon sellers seem too cheap... Any advice before I pull the trigger would be great?

7 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Has anyone bought new straps for their Apple Watches?

I'm trying to find some new straps for mine; looking for a black leather, brown leather and a black metal strap. The official straps from Apple are ridiculously pricey, the companys that sell them seem really overpriced, then the Amazon sellers seem too cheap... Any advice before I pull the trigger would be great?

I bought a metal strap from Amazon for very cheap and it’s been great. 
Worth a look, if you don’t like you can return it for free.

• Like 1

Despite never being a fan of smart watches, i'm finding myself looking at the Apple ones now. Is it purely for health/fitness reasons, as it would probably be wasted on me as i'm a lazy word removed! 

What else can it do, fitness aside? Do people who have one, think its good value?

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Despite never being a fan of smart watches, i'm finding myself looking at the Apple ones now. Is it purely for health/fitness reasons, as it would probably be wasted on me as i'm a lazy word removed! 

What else can it do, fitness aside? Do people who have one, think its good value?

I love mine. 
Few benefits I get

1) I don’t miss calls / messages when my phone is in my pocket. Also stuff like goal alerts from Villa, just have to glance at the watch rather than get phone out of pocket.

2) You can control the music if on a walk from the watch. 

3) You can configure the face any way you want to have the information you want at a glance. 

4) If your phone has Face ID you can unlock it whilst wearing a mask if you’re wearing the watch unlocked.

5) It tells the time AND date

Latest is series 6 I think, with series 7 coming soon. From my research you don’t really want 1-3 as 4 was a big upgrade. I got a grade A refurbished (basically brand new) series 4 and it’s brilliant. It’ll do 2 and a bit days between charges.

Its one of the things I didn’t think I needed but I feel a bit lost without it now.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I love mine. 
Few benefits I get

1) I don’t miss calls / messages when my phone is in my pocket. Also stuff like goal alerts from Villa, just have to glance at the watch rather than get phone out of pocket.

3) You can configure the face any way you want to have the information you want at a glance. 

4) If your phone has Face ID you can unlock it whilst wearing a mask if you’re wearing the watch unlocked.

Latest is series 6 I think, with series 7 coming soon. From my research you don’t really want 1-3 as 4 was a big upgrade. I got a grade A refurbished (basically brand new) series 4 and it’s brilliant. It’ll do 2 and a bit days between charges.

Its one of the things I didn’t think I needed but I feel a bit lost without it now.

I echo all of the above. I don't use many of the apps on it, but it's so useful for calls and messages.

If I forget to put it on in the morning I feel lost all day without it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I love mine. 
Few benefits I get

Can't you do all this with a £30 band? That's what I use on Android.

14 minutes ago, limpid said:

Can't you do all this with a £30 band? That's what I use on Android.

There’s lots of options on Amazon for cheap iOS compatible smart watches but I’m not sure the quality would be the same. I’ve not tried though tbh.

I got mine for £149 in the sale and was as new so not a fortune really for the “real thing”.

For the last couple of weeks the trackpad on my macbook hasn't been "clicking". I use inverted commas because it's not a physical click, it's haptic feedback. It still functions, but that haptic feedback that gives you the clicking sensation hasn't been happening.

Tried to find a solution but to no avail. So sucked it up and went to the genius bar.

£431 they wanted to repair it :D 

Apparently because it's not a physical trackpad, it's all connected to the top plate of the laptop so they'd have to replace the whole thing. That's convenient.

Thankfully it's still functional so I was able to laugh in their face and tell them I could buy a perfectly good laptop for 431 quid.

The technician was visibly embarrassed when he told me the price

Ahhh Apple.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

trackpad on my macbook hasn't been "clicking".

Have you done the simple things ?

turn off the force click setting in system preferences, reboot, try it again, turn the setting back on and reboot.

reset PRAM/NVRAM. shutdown, then boot with the finger stretching alt+cmd+P+R keys held down until the chime, if I remember rightly)

reset SMC (not sure how old your Mac is).

Run diagnostics (boot with cmd + D held down) then follow the prompts.

I mention that because my last one, from 2009, I kept going for ages by doing that stuff every time it played up.

I guess the apple store man would have tried that, though?  

I've just yahoogled it and the internet said: 

For me, it was fixed somehow by an SMC reset with the charger disconnected, while powered on. Basically, I pressed Control + Shift + Option + Power button. The system instantly shut down without warning. Force touch and haptic feedback were back when the system turned on.

Might be worth a try

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

Have you done the simple things ?

turn off the force click setting in system preferences, reboot, try it again, turn the setting back on and reboot.

reset PRAM/NVRAM. shutdown, then boot with the finger stretching alt+cmd+P+R keys held down until the chime, if I remember rightly)

reset SMC (not sure how old your Mac is).

Run diagnostics (boot with cmd + D held down) then follow the prompts.

I mention that because my last one, from 2009, I kept going for ages by doing that stuff every time it played up.

I guess the apple store man would have tried that, though?  

Yeah I did all that before I went in after some googling. Then spoke to Apple Support and they made me do the same thing.

In store they started it up in some sort of diagnostic mode which he said basically meant it couldn't be a software issue as it still wasn't working there. So it must be the hardware. Somehow.

I dunno. It's only a slight annoyance anyway

On 22/08/2021 at 22:04, Xela said:

Did you take the plunge and buy one?

I got my from Ultimo Electronics. 
They currently have the series 4 in very good (as new condition) for £179 and  then an extra £10 off this weekend.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Did you take the plunge and buy one?

I got my from Ultimo Electronics. 
They currently have the series 4 in very good (as new condition) for £179 and  then an extra £10 off this weekend.

I haven't yet mate, was going to have a proper gander this weekend :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Trackpad died on my work (non apple) laptop. It was because the battery immediately below the trackpad had swollen and stopped the trackpad being able to be depressed.

That's what google told me, but with macbooks it's not a physical trackpad. It's just metal and the physical clicks are just haptic feedback, so it doesn't actually depress. It works the same way your phone screen works I guess where it knows how hard you're pressing but doesn't actually depress

So the swollen battery wouldn't affect it in the same way it would a physical one.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's what google told me, but with macbooks it's not a physical trackpad. It's just metal and the physical clicks are just haptic feedback, so it doesn't actually depress. It works the same way your phone screen works I guess where it knows how hard you're pressing but doesn't actually depress

So the swollen battery wouldn't affect it in the same way it would a physical one.

What model is yours? Mine does physically depress when I press it. Mine is 'MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)'

They must have changed it at a later date. 

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

What model is yours? Mine does physically depress when I press it. Mine is 'MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)'

They must have changed it at a later date. 

Mine's a macbook pro think it's the 2017 model

Â