The Apple Thread

Stevo985

So I spilt some water on my MacBook Pro over the weekend; it's all still working apart from the trackpad which has completely died.

Has anyone had this happen before?

I'm guessing it's going to cost a fortune to replace, so may have to claim on the house insurance.

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

So I spilt some water on my MacBook Pro over the weekend; it's all still working apart from the trackpad which has completely died.

I'm guessing it's going to cost a fortune to replace, so may have to claim on the house insurance.

Have a look on youtube, there’s probably a video “how to” replace it yourself.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I had an issue with my trackpad, although very minor. The haptic feedback is now intermittent for me. It still works fine, but there's no "click" when you press down. More annoying than anything else.

Anyway, point is I took it to Apple to see if they could fix it and because of the way it's manufactured, an issue with the trackpad means they have to replace the entire front plate and it costs like £400 (I didn't do it obviously)

So doesn't look good for you... although when I went there they did try some hard reset stuff which didn't work for me but maybe it would for you

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I had an issue with my trackpad, although very minor. The haptic feedback is now intermittent for me. It still works fine, but there's no "click" when you press down. More annoying than anything else.

Anyway, point is I took it to Apple to see if they could fix it and because of the way it's manufactured, an issue with the trackpad means they have to replace the entire front plate and it costs like £400 (I didn't do it obviously)

So doesn't look good for you... although when I went there they did try some hard reset stuff which didn't work for me but maybe it would for you

If your trackpad is faulty, take it back to the vendor. They can't charge you for faulty hardware.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

If your trackpad is faulty, take it back to the vendor. They can't charge you for faulty hardware.

I did, it was Apple. I bought it 5 years prior to the issue. They wouldn't budge

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I did, it was Apple. I bought it 5 years prior to the issue. They wouldn't budge

Ah, not surprised. So this wasn't a faulty hardware, it was from use.

Still a bit poor though. You've paid a premium for their hardware and that price is mad. Hopefully you factored in the extra price of repairs on top of the initial overpricing.

52 minutes ago, limpid said:

Ah, not surprised. So this wasn't a faulty hardware, it was from use.

Still a bit poor though. You've paid a premium for their hardware and that price is mad. Hopefully you factored in the extra price of repairs on top of the initial overpricing.

Yep, I wouldn't expect a trackpad to break on a macbook pro after 5 years of use, not exactly intensive use either.

If the trackpad wasn't functional I might have fought a bit harder to get them to pay for the repair, but given it's essentially cosmetic damage I didn't push back too much

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Recently upgraded from an 11 Pro to a 13 Pro Max, and have an interesting issue.

Since upgrading when I go to use Apple Pay there's a message that says "Update Shipping Contact". Made sure my address is correct in all the obvious places but it still persists! Any idea anyone? Ta.

Edited by DeadlyDirk

6 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Recently upgraded from an 11 Pro to a 13 Pro Max, and have an interesting issue.

Since upgrading when I go to use Apple Pay there's a message that says "Update Shipping Contact". Made sure my address is correct in all the obvious places but it still persists! Any idea anyone? Ta.

Settings - Wallet & Apple Pay - Postal Address:

Make sure the address you have in there is the exact same as your credit card company has - including capital letters, spaces (eg. in post code) etc.

If your "apple" held address details don't match your payment card company held address details, that could be why you get the message.

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Make sure the address you have in there is the exact same as your credit card company has - including capital letters, spaces (eg. in post code) etc.

If your "apple" held address details don't match your payment card company held address details, that could be why you get the message.

That's the thing, I've checked there multiple times and it's correct. However, I've just sorted it. For some reason my phone number and email address were missing, so I've re-entered them and now it seems to want to play ball again.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2022 at 08:39, blandy said:

Banks do not pass personal data to Apple. If Apple are checking this data, it is not against what your bank holds.

31 minutes ago, limpid said:

Banks do not pass personal data to Apple. If Apple are checking this data, it is not against what your bank holds.

When I register my bank card for Apple wallet or google pay I go through a process to verify I and my card are genuinely legit. If for example I put my address, but your card details there would be a mismatch, right?  I was postulating that a discrepancy might be the cause of the “glitch”

5 hours ago, blandy said:

When I register my bank card for Apple wallet or google pay I go through a process to verify I and my card are genuinely legit. If for example I put my address, but your card details there would be a mismatch, right?  I was postulating that a discrepancy might be the cause of the “glitch”

They only check the postcode on a card check. Not always even that depending on bank and retailer.

• 1 month later...
On 27/12/2022 at 16:55, limpid said:

They only check the postcode on a card check. Not always even that depending on bank and retailer.

Don’t they just check the Luhn algorithm and nothing else ? 

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Don’t they just check the Luhn algorithm and nothing else ? 

No. Setting up Google / Apple pay requires an interaction with the issuing bank. You've seen this if you've added a card to your phone / watch for contactless payments.

• 2 months later...

Got a post 2018 Mac?

Open Terminal in Utilities.

Paste this in...

open /System/Library/Image\ Capture/Devices/VirtualScanner.app/Contents/Resources/simpledoc.pdf

Funny what's hidden in the catacombs?

• Like 2

And my Mid 2015 Mac. Looking at the document in the finder (cmd + shift + g and then paste in "/System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/VirtualScanner.app/Contents/Resources/"

it's dated last month, which is when I updated the computer from High Sierra to Monterey, so it must be part of the Monterey OS.

• 1 month later...

This might be a silly question, but I’m still relatively new to Apple and I seem to be getting conflicting answers online. 

I’ve just popped to the pub and noticed my phone battery is dying, but my watch is practically full. My watch doesn’t have it’s own data and relies on my phone for connection. So does that mean I can’t use Apple Pay with my watch if my phone dies? 

Edited by av1

Â