The Apple Thread

Stevo985

I'd be quite interested to see Apple's first attempt at a folding phone.

However the screens on folding phones are so shit that I don't imagine Apple will attempt it until the technology has moved on enough that that isn't an issue

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd be quite interested to see Apple's first attempt at a folding phone.

However the screens on folding phones are so shit that I don't imagine Apple will attempt it until the technology has moved on enough that that isn't an issue

They will then claim they invented it. Or, if they're feeling less cocky, that they reinvented it for a new generation.

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

They will then claim they invented it. Or, if they're feeling less cocky, that they reinvented it for a new generation.

They do play it safe. Never pioneers, more refiners. 

I like the look of the Samsung Fold but I know I would damage it within days of having it! 

14 hours ago, Xela said:

They do play it safe. Never pioneers, more refiners. 

I like the look of the Samsung Fold but I know I would damage it within days of having it! 

You can damage the screen of those phones with your fingernail

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nah they'll just wait until the screens are more durable and then pretend they invented those

The thing is, that they can't be more durable and be able to fold. We don't have such a material yet and it's more likely to be invented by Samsung or Sony,

Two examples of how they'll deal with the marketing for a folding phone:

• Watches. No-one would send them round panels so they told their base that square watches are trendy.
  • iPhone 6 models bending: Deny, deny, deny and strengthen later versions.

All they have to do is mislead or lie. People keep buying them anyway.

14 hours ago, Xela said:

People buy Apple stuff because they like it. 

I've emigrated to Apple in the last couple of years after being a staunch Android user since about 2012, it's a reason I think @Genie alluded to earlier in the thread..... With Android I found myself changing handset way more often than I should for various reasons. I could never find an all round handset that would last for a while, I despised Samsung especially post 2019/20 for their cost-cutting "let's rip off Europe" practices of placing inferior chipsets into the handsets and charging the same....  The only one I did find that came close was Huawei and their P30 Pro - but they then got placed on the naughty step for covert espionage.... I liked Pixel's but I only tended to have reliability issues with them... OnePlus - good but there were always compromises with them.

iPhones - Good high quality all rounder with little faff. I'm fully converted now.

• Like 1

I've used Macs, both desktops and macbooks for the last 10-12 years, and I like how Apple integrate with those, even though it's not quite as seamless as in the past. You know what you're getting with an iPhone, and as DeadlyDirk says while they don't have the same innovations as other makes, they're well put together and do what you need them to. I couldn't stand all the bloatware you get with other platforms either.

1 hour ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I've emigrated to Apple in the last couple of years after being a staunch Android user since about 2012, it's a reason I think @Genie alluded to earlier in the thread..... With Android I found myself changing handset way more often than I should for various reasons. I could never find an all round handset that would last for a while, I despised Samsung especially post 2019/20 for their cost-cutting "let's rip off Europe" practices of placing inferior chipsets into the handsets and charging the same....  The only one I did find that came close was Huawei and their P30 Pro - but they then got placed on the naughty step for covert espionage.... I liked Pixel's but I only tended to have reliability issues with them... OnePlus - good but there were always compromises with them.

iPhones - Good high quality all rounder with little faff. I'm fully converted now.

Yeah I've gone through the phases too. Originally had an iphone, didn't like them once we got to around the iphone 5 so went to Android and loved it. Had a couple of great android phones (Nexus 5 for example) and a couple of crap android phones (Galaxy S3 for example)

Thought I'd try an iphone again back when it was iphone 8Plus or max or whatever it was. It was the best phone I'd ever had up to that point, absolutely loved it. So stuck with them since.

I'll probably go back to android at some point

I've got the iPhone 13 Pro Max and it's really good. In terms of battery life, quality of the screen, build quality and camera it seemed a decent bit better than the predecessors. No great innovations, but it just seemed better all round. Don't know what the difference is between it and the 14 and won't bother to find out.

On 13/09/2022 at 18:50, Xela said:

They do play it safe. Never pioneers, more refiners

Of course that’s true of all manufacturers of well selling products to a large extent. “People like the Golf/Corolla/MacBook/whatever so don’t change it too much” kind of caution, but for a company that apparently just does stuff after everyone else has already done it, it’s surprising how much stuff from other companies mimics Apple gear and Apple stores and so on.

Apple also has the annoying habit of “innovating” by removing stuff - disk drives, headphone jack etc.  And to be fair they mostly tend to make stuff work better when it comes to face recognition or finger print recognition and wotnot.

Having used Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS I don’t think any of them have a monopoly on being the best at…., but for overall usability I’d put Apple top. For price, or value for money it’s a much harder call, particularly if/when from time to time they have a quality issue with software or some component or other.

I’ve just got back from a bike ride in the countryside. Whizzing down a downhill lane my helmet strap caught the sticky out bit of the left AirPod, which fell out, bounced into a hedgerow of brambles, nettles and grasses. I slammed on the brakes and moved back to approximately where it happened. Unfortunately some absolute weapon had fly tipped a load of polystyrene in the same area, so there’s little pieces of white everywhere. And I have to find a little white earphone amongst the nettles, brambles and debris. I don’t have my glasses with me, so can’t see the phone properly, or easily distinguish between little white things. Anyway, I managed to use the “find my” feature on the phone to find the AirPod. It took 20 minutes, a few stings and scratches, but blimey, it’s impressively accurate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I’ve just got back from a bike ride in the countryside. Whizzing down a downhill lane my helmet strap caught the sticky out bit of the left AirPod, which fell out, bounced into a hedgerow of brambles, nettles and grasses. I slammed on the brakes and moved back to approximately where it happened. Unfortunately some absolute weapon had fly tipped a load of polystyrene in the same area, so there’s little pieces of white everywhere. And I have to find a little white earphone amongst the nettles, brambles and debris. I don’t have my glasses with me, so can’t see the phone properly, or easily distinguish between little white things. Anyway, I managed to use the “find my” feature on the phone to find the AirPod. It took 20 minutes, a few stings and scratches, but blimey, it’s impressively accurate.

You know what works better and faster than the "find my" feature? Using a wired set of earbuds 😃

Trolling troll GIF on GIFER - by Saigra

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Genuine question. Can't you make the AirPods "ring" to find them? My last couple of set of buds have done this (in quite different ways).

13 hours ago, a-k said:

You know what works better and faster than the "find my" feature? Using a wired set of earbuds 😃

Trolling troll GIF on GIFER - by Saigra

True, but the wireless ones are safer for my bike as they have transparency mode.

11 hours ago, limpid said:

Genuine question. Can't you make the AirPods "ring" to find them? My last couple of set of buds have done this (in quite different ways).

Yes, but I couldn’t hear it when I tried it. Too far away I guess.

• Thanks 1

Â