The Apple Thread

Stevo985

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

Or a iphone SE if one likes the form-factor of the 6s/8 but get iphone 11 speeds. (At the cost of battery-life)

My wife has that, great phone.

I just think the home button handsets look really old fashioned now, and no Face ID either.

If buying something for a 3-5 year stint then getting a refurbished 4 year old model probably isn’t the way to go imo.

I’d go for an X, Xr, XS 11 or 12. You can get a 12 in “mini” form (5.4”) which is a good size.

I had an Xr (6.1”) but found it just a little bigger than I’d liked. Switched to the older, but higher spec X at 5.8” and it’s much nicer for me.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2021 at 15:28, Seat68 said:

I have the ios15 beta and its OK. The only thing that is beyond irritating to me, to the point I have ditched Safari over it is the Safari redesign. Address bar at the bottom. It’s a step too far for me. A few other moved items and on the whole it made it a pain to use, I know I probably would get used to it in time but I feel its a step to far and have added Firefox, its more traditional for me. 

I've used Chrome on my iphones since I switched back from Android about 4 years ago. It's far better than Safari (imo)

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I just think the home button handsets look really old fashioned now, and no Face ID either.

I am very partial to a fingerprint reader, be it android, ios or windows. Especially on android as there are a few apps that don't do face-recognition on there for some reason. And I just prefer it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Genie said:

You should have gone for a 10 or later. 
Face ID is an absolute game changer, and you get a bigger screen for the same unit size.

My work mobile is an 8 and it feels quite old compared to my X (which is actually getting on a bit itself).

In 2016 your iPhone 6s would have been out for about a year so pretty much up to date. In 2021 the iPhone 8 has been around for 4 years… and possibly has a battery that’s already shot when you get it.

I’d back out of that / send it back and treat yourself to something that’s a bit more future proof.

I very rarely use my phone now - it sits on the table 23.5 hours of every day! I only have 2 apps on it - Spotify (to BT steam through the car) and WhatsApp. If it was't for those I genuinely think i'd have a Nokia 3310 instead! 

Face unlock doesn't interest me... nor does no home button or bezel-less screens. I'm a bit of a luddite really! 

My work phone is a 7 and it feels like new tech to me! If I was still commuting 2 hours a day and in the office, I may have gone for a newer one with a bigger screen. As it is, this is £150 (Amazon Renewed), comes with a warranty for 12 months and battery is guaranteed to be at least 80% of new. 

It'll suit this dinosaur! 

Oh, getting a new iPad as well. This time its the latest one and its costing me absolutely nothing. 

Will replace my iPad 4th generation (launched 2012)! 

• Like 2

The refurbished iPhone turned up today. Not a single mark on it. It looks brand new. I was expecting some superficial marks, which wouldn't have bothered me, but its pristine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The refurbished iPhone turned up today. Not a single mark on it. It looks brand new. I was expecting some superficial marks, which wouldn't have bothered me, but its pristine. 

What’s the battery health like?

Also worth checking if it has any Apple warranty left on it 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

What’s the battery health like?

Also worth checking if it has any Apple warranty left on it 

Haven't set it up yet! Meant to do it this evening but got sidetracked with other things! 

They say it should have 80% battery health as a bare minimum. 

Its got a 1 year Amazon warranty - not sure about Apple. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Haven't set it up yet! Meant to do it this evening but got sidetracked with other things! 

They say it should have 80% battery health as a bare minimum. 

Its got a 1 year Amazon warranty - not sure about Apple. 

It should be pretty low risk then, a bargain at £150!

Amazon are great, just wish they’d pay some tax. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xela said:

Shouldn't do. it was wrapped it two condoms and spent most of its life up my bum. I had to stop selling mentos and freddos to the South American prison system before I put it up for sale.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Shouldn't do. it was wrapped it two condoms and spent most of its life up my bum. I had to stop selling mentos and freddos to the South American prison system before I put it up for sale.

I wondered why a greasy 50 Lev note was in the box. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably a silly question but I’m not great on computers anyway and I’m new to Apple. I’m looking to install office on my MacBook, normally I’d do this via the Microsoft site, but I noticed today you can download the office suite via the Apple App Store.

Is having the apps the same as downloading the package from Microsoft and do they have the same functionality?

Edit: I already have a office log in so any pricing differences are neither here nor there, I’m just wondering about performance/functionality. 

Edited by av1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

This is probably a silly question but I’m not great on computers anyway and I’m new to Apple. I’m looking to install office on my MacBook, normally I’d do this via the Microsoft site, but I noticed today you can download the office suite via the Apple App Store.

Is having the apps the same as downloading the package from Microsoft and do they have the same functionality?

Edit: I already have a office log in so any pricing differences are neither here nor there, I’m just wondering about performance/functionality. 

Its the same. Just differes where the updates come from. If you change where you install from you should uninstall the old first.

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

Its the same. Just differes where the updates come from. If you change where you install from you should uninstall the old first.

Thanks mate 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2021 at 22:19, Xela said:

My Macbook Air is relatively new, at about 2-3 years old!

I made the above post in March

I have just checked and I've actually had my Air for coming up to 5 years! Still as quick as the day I got it. Great bit of kit. Did have a bit of buyers remorse when I got it (circa £900) but definitely value for money now. I had a succession of cheap Windows laptops before, which generally lasted about 2-3 years max (some less) so I bit the bullet with this. Glad I did

I genuinely reckon it could last another 5 years as i'm not exactly a demanding user. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I quite like the idea of airtags, they’re £99 for 4 of the proper Apple ones. Does anyone know of any other cheaper alternatives that work with iPhones? 

Tile has some good reviews. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I made the above post in March

I have just checked and I've actually had my Air for coming up to 5 years! Still as quick as the day I got it. Great bit of kit. Did have a bit of buyers remorse when I got it (circa £900) but definitely value for money now. I had a succession of cheap Windows laptops before, which generally lasted about 2-3 years max (some less) so I bit the bullet with this. Glad I did

I genuinely reckon it could last another 5 years as i'm not exactly a demanding user. 

Yeah same. Got my macbook at least 4 years ago and at the time I knew it was overkill. I didn't really need one.

But it's as good as the day I got it. It was more money than I needed to spend but I'm not even thinking about replacing it yet

• Like 1

Â