The Apple Thread

Stevo985

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

@Genie bit late now, but the new iPhone 14 Pro/Pro Max finally has an always on display.

Nice, i’ve not read much about iPhone 14 but plenty of people saying there’s barely any upgrades over the 13.

Always on display will be a nice feature, one of those “how did we cope before having to go to the trouble of tapping the screen” moments.

51 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nice, i’ve not read much about iPhone 14 but plenty of people saying there’s barely any upgrades over the 13.

An Apple event used to be a major thing. Now it doesn't get a mention on here. I think it shows there just isn't a great deal of enthusiasm or invention at the minute.

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

Always on display will be a nice feature, one of those “how did we cope before having to go to the trouble of tapping the screen” moments.

It can't be that nice a feature. My last four phones have had it. 

1 minute ago, limpid said:

It can't be that nice a feature. My last four phones have had it. 

Your last 4 phones can’t have been that good if you kept changing them 😉

I found I was doing that a lot when I had Android handsets.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

An Apple event used to be a major thing. Now it doesn't get a mention on here. I think it shows there just isn't a great deal of enthusiasm or invention at the minute.

I agree, the tech has really plateaued out with only small incremental gains now released. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree, the tech has really plateaued out with only small incremental gains now released. 

Still rocking my iPhone 8 :D and my work iPhone 7

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Still rocking my iPhone 8 :D and my work iPhone 7

My daughter has an iphone 6s that gets used all day every day. No complaints (apart from the battery being shit now).

I had a 6s for 3.5 years. Amazing bit of kit.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Your last 4 phones can’t have been that good if you kept changing them 😉

I found I was doing that a lot when I had Android handsets.

Over about 5 years. I change my phone most years because I like having the new hardware features. It's the one thing I haven't become more green about.

Always on screens have been around before I had one. Perhaps if Apple released new phones every year they'd be able to keep up with all the other manufacturers. Oh wait.....

IPhone 14 with the same battery and processor as the 13, but clocked faster so the battery life won't be as good. I wonder how they'll spin that. It'll make it much quicker to launch Apple Maps and see the new adverts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, limpid said:

Over about 5 years. I change my phone most years because I like having the new hardware features. It's the one thing I haven't become more green about.

Always on screens have been around before I had one. Perhaps if Apple released new phones every year they'd be able to keep up with all the other manufacturers. Oh wait.....

IPhone 14 with the same battery and processor as the 13, but clocked faster so the battery life won't be as good. I wonder how they'll spin that. It'll make it much quicker to launch Apple Maps and see the new adverts.

I have to agree, Apple seem to have lost their direction. Not really bringing anything new or exciting for several years. I have an iPhone 12 and from day 1 I was surprised how chunky and heavy it feels (especially in comparison to the 6s). 

What I have found with Apple handsets though is that they don’t tend to slow down or glitch like I used to find with Android. I found them a bit like windows, amazing at first then after a few months it starts to lag, stall, freeze. Then i’m looking at apps to clean things up and free up memory. Then i’m looking for a new handset to see if it’s better and the cycle starts again.

With my 6s and 12 they both are as quick after 12 months as day 1. Maybe Android are better at that now though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have to agree, Apple seem to have lost their direction. Not really bringing anything new or exciting for several years. I have an iPhone 12 and from day 1 I was surprised how chunky and heavy it feels (especially in comparison to the 6s). 

What I have found with Apple handsets though is that they don’t tend to slow down or glitch like I used to find with Android. …

With my 6s and 12 they both are as quick after 12 months as day 1.

Yeah. I mean the thing with phones and even tech generally is that plateauing is always gonna happen. One you get to a particular point, doubling the speed, or number of pixels or whatever is going to make no discernible difference to most users. Go from 4 seconds to 2 and it’s noticeably better, but go from 0.2 to 0.1 or from 12 MB to 16MB images and you can’t really tell the difference. Manufacturers made bigger screens, they added Bluetooth earphones, but until there’s a breakthrough in battery life or something like that, all the phones are just bunched up and it’s personal preference in OS or design or cost that is the only differentiator for most people. Nearly all phones do the things we want to do with our phone very well, but not perfectly, all the time. They’re amazing bits of kit, but until there’s some leap forward, a tangible one, older phones suffice as well as whatever new model.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Yeah. I mean the thing with phones and even tech generally is that plateauing is always gonna happen. One you get to a particular point, doubling the speed, or number of pixels or whatever is going to make no discernible difference to most users. Go from 4 seconds to 2 and it’s noticeably better, but go from 0.2 to 0.1 or from 12 MB to 16MB images and you can’t really tell the difference. Manufacturers made bigger screens, they added Bluetooth earphones, but until there’s a breakthrough in battery life or something like that, all the phones are just bunched up and it’s personal preference in OS or design or cost that is the only differentiator for most people. Nearly all phones do the things we want to do with our phone very well, but not perfectly, all the time. They’re amazing bits of kit, but until there’s some leap forward, a tangible one, older phones suffice as well as whatever new model.

Quite right Pete. Basically all we're getting now is tiny improvements in phone quality and battery life. It makes me laugh how they basically go back to design features from a few years prior as well. iPhone 4 and 5 had the straight edge cases, then they went more curved from the 6 up to the 11, and now they're back to looking like 4s and 5s again. Give it a couple of years and I reckon they'll go back to more rounded design.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blandy said:

It's hard to imagine what else they can conceivably come up with that's a big leap forward. I guess foldable screens are the latest innovation, but when watching moving images on screen is as clear as it needs to be, and cameras are 40mp or whatever, what's left that you need to carry round with you that they don't already do? As for selling the same old thing year in year out, the Apple Watch takes some beating. It's hardly changed, at all.

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

Can't see the point of them at all. Whatever version.

They are for people who don't want an Apple tattoo, or for people that have no idea what gift someone might actually want :mrgreen:

8 hours ago, Genie said:

My daughter has an iphone 6s that gets used all day every day. No complaints (apart from the battery being shit now).

I had a 6s for 3.5 years. Amazing bit of kit.

I had my 6s plus for ages... over 6 years I think. Solid bit of kit. Still works fine, just one too many drops onto the concrete floor and the screen has a slight crack. The 4/4s was my favourite design though.

17 hours ago, blandy said:

Can't see the point of them at all. Whatever version.

I like mine, it’s useful for telling time :D but also I kept missing calls and texts when I was out in noisy places or walking the dog. 

I don’t miss them when I have the watch on. Also when driving and a message come in you can quickly glance at your wrist rather than look at the phone. Another perk is when i’m listening to music whilst out walking, I can skip the tracks on my watch which is a little easier than getting the phone out.

All first world improvements!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

i’m listening to music whilst out walking, I can skip the tracks on my watch which is a little easier than getting the phone out.

“Hey Siri, play next track”

also I kept missing calls and texts

Bonus feature!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Isn't (much) better battery life the feature that most people want now? 

I can't think of any other 'must haves' anymore. I suppose specific to Apple, it would be a folding phone? 

They do everything people want at the moment. 

Â