The Apple Thread

Stevo985

Decided to treat myself to a new phone rather than an Xbox.

Iphone 12 128gb arriving tomorrow and I’m very excited.

Its also the first non black phone I think I’ve ever had. I’ve gone for the blue.

a3d686a1be324558b37850f254e67ef1.gif

• Like 2

On 09/01/2022 at 19:42, Genie said:

Decided to treat myself to a new phone rather than an Xbox.

Iphone 12 128gb arriving tomorrow and I’m very excited.

Its also the first non black phone I think I’ve ever had. I’ve gone for the blue.

a3d686a1be324558b37850f254e67ef1.gif

I’ve had it a couple of days now and REALLY impressed with it. 
I had an iPhone X previously and to be honest I didn’t expect a huge amount in terms of noticeable improvement (my main reason for upgrading was more storage) but it’s so much better.

Screen is brighter and sharper and it switches between apps so much quicker. Camera pictures also another step up.

The other pleasing thing was I ordered a 14 day customer return as it was £179 cheaper than brand new. It said they’d be as new but in a plain box with no accessories so I thought why not. Worst case I send it back if it’s marked. They sent me a brand new sealed phone.

Edited by Genie

Anyone else noticed an explosion of scam emails bypassing the usual filters? Really getting on my nerves now. Apple are usually on the ball with stuff like this, pretty much a 99.9% recorded in recent years with sending crap to the junk folder but it’s been noticeably bad the last few weeks. 

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Anyone else noticed an explosion of scam emails bypassing the usual filters?

Not me. Occasionally if I give a new website or company my e mither address then (I assume) they sold it on and maybe a few more scammy e mithers appear for a bit. You could mandraulicly add the senders to the junk list, I suppose.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I just bought a new ipad,the latest 9th gen one.When I switch it off and put it on charge,how can I tell the progress of the charging ? 

There is really no need to switch it off. Those devices are built to live in standby.

• Like 1

I remember a conversation (possibly in another thread) about contactless payments. About how they were more secure than cards because you have to unlock your device.

I heard an ad on a podcast yesterday that said you can set your wallet on an iPhone to "express mode" which means that you don't have to unlock the device. The advert was about using your iPhone to pay on Oyster readers. Would someone with an iPhone take a look and see what kind of warnings you get? Or whether this "express mode" is per wallet entry rather than for the whole wallet?

Thanks

13 hours ago, limpid said:

I remember a conversation (possibly in another thread) about contactless payments. About how they were more secure than cards because you have to unlock your device.

I heard an ad on a podcast yesterday that said you can set your wallet on an iPhone to "express mode" which means that you don't have to unlock the device. The advert was about using your iPhone to pay on Oyster readers. Would someone with an iPhone take a look and see what kind of warnings you get? Or whether this "express mode" is per wallet entry rather than for the whole wallet?

Thanks

Is this what you’re after?

48-FB9-F86-5273-4-D1-A-B400-9-F634-ADF81

13 hours ago, limpid said:

you can set your wallet on an iPhone to "express mode" which means that you don't have to unlock the device. The advert was about using your iPhone to pay on Oyster readers. Would someone with an iPhone take a look and see what kind of warnings you get? Or whether this "express mode" is per wallet entry rather than for the whole wallet?

You can set a card (not the whole wallet) to be a travel card if you want to. It's not the default, and you have to enable it when you turn it on via face ID or passcode or fingerprint. it's for tapping on and off tubes and trams, not for cash purchases from vendors, shops etc. where you still have to authenticate.

6 minutes ago, limpid said:

The wording in the advert suggested that this was being activated for the Wallet, not a single entry in the Wallet.

Don't believe everything you hear in adverts :)

The express travel card thing is quite a good feature, I think.

With my android phone, as long as the phone was unlocked, it just google paid by proximity. With my Apple phone, if it's unlocked or locked you still have to (via double click of button) bring up the face ID confirmation to pay for stuff. The express travel card thing is obviously less secure, but more convenient than either the standard way, or the android way.

I got rid of my oyster card when it came in.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Don't believe everything you hear in adverts :)

The express travel card thing is quite a good feature, I think.

With my android phone, as long as the phone was unlocked, it just google paid by proximity. With my Apple phone, if it's unlocked or locked you still have to (via double click of button) bring up the face ID confirmation to pay for stuff. The express travel card thing is obviously less secure, but more convenient than either the standard way, or the android way.

I got rid of my oyster card when it came in.

Yes, you have to unlock a device before NFC will work. Same for iOS or Android.

Annoyingly, you can only get Railcard discounts using a physical Oyster card 😠 (even though you can add any payment card to your Oyster account and the account knows about your Railcard).

4 hours ago, limpid said:

Annoyingly, you can only get Railcard discounts using a physical Oyster card

It's OT, but I have a digital railcard on my Apple phone. If I buy a ticket on the internet and use the railcard discount, then that works.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It's OT, but I have a digital railcard on my Apple phone. If I buy a ticket on the internet and use the railcard discount, then that works.

But you can't use it on Oyster terminals (I have the same app).

• 1 month later...

So my 11 has developed a yellow blurry spot in the bottom right corner. Very annoying as out of warranty, not eligible for screen replacement scheme and not my fault but I’ll have to pay to fix it or live with it. 

I’ve only had it since May 2020. So just over 2 years. Rapid battery degradation with the 7 and now this. The only iPhone I’ve never had an issue with was the first SE. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

So my 11 has developed a yellow blurry spot in the bottom right corner. Very annoying as out of warranty, not eligible for screen replacement scheme and not my fault but I’ll have to pay to fix it or live with it. 

I’ve only had it since May 2020. So just over 2 years. Rapid battery degradation with the 7 and now this. The only iPhone I’ve never had an issue with was the first SE. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

You have consumer rights. Just because it’s out of warranty doesn’t mean you don’t have a case. Goods need to be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. Suggest yahoogle this and then go to the Apple shop, clued up, and ask them for a replacement.  The screen going blurry and yellow after 2 years is not “fit for purpose” for a smartphone. It’s (imo) likely due to a manufacturing or component defect and therefore Apple should fix it foc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just yahoogled it and there's a bit of it about

Hello everyone. I said i’d inform you all about what happened at the Apple Store in Monday (today).

I took my iPhone 11 to the Apple Store and they diagnosed the issue and they told it is screen damage.

And the action taken by Apple is screen replacement for free.

Now i got my iPhone 11 back and it has a new screen now. The problem has been solved.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday was a sad day, our bedside alarm clock of 21 years died 😪. We bought it when me and the wife first moved in together.

I was wondering if there are any good apps that can turn my iphone into a bedside clock with the display always on?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Genie said:

Yesterday was a sad day, our bedside alarm clock of 21 years died 😪. We bought it when me and the wife first moved in together.

I was wondering if there are any good apps that can turn my iphone into a bedside clock with the display always on?

Alarm Clock HD Pro - I have the paid version

D2A388FA-8FEB-46A9-97B5-A7F34A9D61F2.jpeg

and it seems to do the job fine. I don’t have it set to always on, but I think you can. Multiple alarms, choice of display colour etc.

9D6E0D26-CD28-4A2B-80C9-F6FF7E22CCE4.png

• Thanks 1

On 06/08/2022 at 21:37, Genie said:

Ours is about 15 years old. It has a dock for the first ever iPhone. Still going strong, although a few of the buttons you have to really press hard now. And if you turn the lamp on that's next to it on the bedside table, it adds an hour to the time. Other than that, good as new!

• Haha 1

Â