Obsession with a colour - opinion

Dodgyknees

Basically... I have started a new website up where I live. This website is a dark variation of a primary colours. Another website uses a much brighter version of this colour for their logo and website. 90% of my website is actually white and on social media it is all purple. Anyway, what I was doing was known about where I live and an email was sent to those who run this other website about 2 months in advance. Now, 1 hour before launch (no kidding!) I got an email suggesting I should change my colour (I know colours can't be a copyright issue) and they have been on my back since. 

Apparently they have had many people get confused, thinking my website is a spinoff of theirs ) logos and design are nothing alike) happy to share the two sites via PM for anybody who wants to see.

Got another email today, demanding I change the colour as it is too similar. So, I am putting the colours here and can you tell me if you think they are too similar? Thanks y'all.

f42ucn.png

w/o further context, I'd say pretty similar. Especially with the lighting option folks may have currently enabled on their phone/pad/laptop. But, if it's just background, the other lot don't have enough work to do!

I wouldn't mind seeing the sites, but from the info you've given I would, maybe politely, be telling them where to go. A similar colour, that's all they have? One is orange and one is red.

The only thing that would make me reconsider is whether the 'similarity' might affect my business.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villakram said:

w/o further context, I'd say pretty similar. Especially with the lighting option folks may have currently enabled on their phone/pad/laptop. But, if it's just background, the other lot don't have enough work to do!

This colour is across the nav menu on the site I have done and is the colour of the logo. The rest is white and purple. I tested it on a number of screens before I went for it, on mine it looks lighter - on our windows laptop it looks darker.

if you search "websites in orange" then you get loads. I don't really think colour choice is something people could legitimately grumble about. Unless you were trying to pass off your site as their site -stealing trade or revenue or harming reputation, then they have no valid complaint*Screen Shot 2.jpg

*ps don't rely on trading etc. advice from a football fans forum

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 07:03, DK82 said:

Basically... I have started a new website up where I live. This website is a dark variation of a primary colours. Another website uses a much brighter version of this colour for their logo and website. 90% of my website is actually white and on social media it is all purple. Anyway, what I was doing was known about where I live and an email was sent to those who run this other website about 2 months in advance. Now, 1 hour before launch (no kidding!) I got an email suggesting I should change my colour (I know colours can't be a copyright issue) and they have been on my back since. 

Apparently they have had many people get confused, thinking my website is a spinoff of theirs ) logos and design are nothing alike) happy to share the two sites via PM for anybody who wants to see.

Got another email today, demanding I change the colour as it is too similar. So, I am putting the colours here and can you tell me if you think they are too similar? Thanks y'all.

f42ucn.png

There are a lot of websites out there in all different colours. Why did you send an email to this one?

How much does the content of your websites clash? Nobody owns orange, but I guess if you're in direct competition then it's probably iffy from a marketing perspective.

Even then it's really all about how it's used, so i'd need to see the websites for context.

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

How much does the content of your websites clash? Nobody owns orange, but I guess if you're in direct competition then it's probably iffy from a marketing perspective.

Even then it's really all about how it's used, so i'd need to see the websites for context.

Yeah this.

If it's a totally random website complaining that your website is a similar colour to theirs, then they've got no right to complain, imo.

But if, for example, you're starting a website selling, I dunno, random example, pottery in the Isle of Wight; and theirs is already a website selling pottery in the Isle of Wight, then they may have a point.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah this.

If it's a totally random website complaining that your website is a similar colour to theirs, then they've got no right to complain, imo.

But if, for example, you're starting a website selling, I dunno, random example, pottery in the Isle of Wight; and theirs is already a website selling pottery in the Isle of Wight, then they may have a point.

We do similar things, but there are two other sites who are also variations if this colour and do the same. 

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why did you send an email to them? You must have foreseen a problem?

Sent to about 50 people for different reasons. 3 with similar colours on tbe website. They didn't reply, well - they dud an hour before site launch..

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'd reply to them saying you have noted their comments but you are not changing anything. 

I'm ignoring them atm. My mum has had a fall so that has taken priority ahead of their... frankly... nastiness the past 24 hours.

btw, appreciate all replies. Whether I agree or disagree. UTV 

Â