The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

17 minutes ago, Unused Sub said:

So the only footage I've seen of this years bonfire night is this. Do people burn Guy's anymore, or is that too old fashioned?

Check out some historic pictures from the Lewes bonfire carnival.

Lewes-trumpJPG-624x416.jpg

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Am I right in saying there are now more people arrested for the Halloween prank than there are arrested for being responsible for killing the actual people in the tower 18 months on?  It seems being a clearing in the woods is now more of a crime than being an accessory to actual murder.  Good to know.

i might be wrong here but the top charge would be gross negligence manslaughter for either the manufacturers, the designers, the contractors or the installers or a mixture

based on what i had read previously they used a cheaper panel but it wasnt suitable for a building over 10 stories tall, a basic explanation of how that process could work - the quantity surveyor working for client trying to save a bit of money asks the QS from the main contractor to value engineer the cladding, he asks the subcontractor to find a better value for money product, the manufacturer proposes something else, the subbie proposes it to the main contractor, the main contractor proposes it to the architect, the architect says its fine and then the project manager on behalf of the client issues an instruction to proceed with the change in product - thats how it should happen, with a full paperwork trail to back it up, at what stage of the process do you say someone should have expected knowledge to spot the problem? i honestly dont know where you pin the blame and i think it will take years, using another building disaster as an example, remember the didcot power station collapse? happened in 2016 they're still "years away" from being able to do anything about it

for what its worth as a QS i once tried to change the insulation behind the render on a 4 storey building and that process was followed through all the way to the project manager who ran it past the clients insurance company as a check measure and it was them who spotted something they didnt like and said not a chance, the U values and various properties of it were all perfectly fine, fire properties werent as good as the originally specified product

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

celebrating and mocking the deaths isn't a hate crime is it ? ... it's sick , incredibly bad taste , stupid beyond belief  , but hate  ? I guess only they would really know

It's not clear that it is a crime, as far as I'm aware.  If it is a crime, then I think the question would be whether there was a dimension that involved race (which for example, having little brown figures at the windows of the model would suggest).  It's not about what was in their mind, which would be impossible to prove.  The Met's definition is

A hate crime is when someone commits a crime against you because of your disability, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, religion, or any other perceived difference.

It doesn’t always include physical violence. Someone using offensive language towards you or harassing you because of who you are, or who they think you are, is also a crime. The same goes for someone posting abusive or offensive messages about you online.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

take it back a few years , when some people were celebrating Thatchers death , was that a hate crime or people exercising their right to show  their opinions  , irrespective of bad taste , sensitivity etc ?

Not a hate crime as there is no suggestion that the characteristics set out in the definition came into play.  And not a crime either.  More a political demonstration.

Thatcher's death was also a very unusual case - I can't think of any other political figure in the liberal democracies whose death was or would be celebrated like that - you have to go to examples like Pinochet, I suspect.  In her case, it was largely about the whole approach which she symbolised.  There was also a personal element, caused by things like the evident relish with which she attacked entire communities.  But she's an extreme and possibly unique example in our political culture, and I really don't think any other mainstream political figure has ever been so viscerally loathed.

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

for what its worth as a QS i once tried to change the insulation behind the render on a 4 storey building and that process was followed through all the way to the project manager who ran it past the clients insurance company as a check measure and it was them who spotted something they didnt like and said not a chance, the U values and various properties of it were all perfectly fine, fire properties werent as good as the originally specified product

I’ve got minimal experience on accommodation. But I know that when I was working on two schemes at the same time the insurers were far more interested in the flammability of the insulation in a frozen chicken warehouse than they were on 4 storey townhouses. Eventually I had to change the insulated panels on the warehouse, due to food regs! For dwellings, not a problem. I was selecting standard materials from the standard catalogue of one of the big name suppliers.

People are getting angry at the wrong people.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm going to be different and not lay on the key outrage words. 

I'm just gonna say "I'm not even surprised". 

I'm also not surprised people are moaning about police time. 

I'm not surprised about the event, or who did it.

I'm about as bothered by this as I am when I hear about another school shooting in the states.  

It's just irritating.  Everything on the news just irritates me and pisses me off.  I'm not surprised when I see animal abuse, or child abuse, or politicians being contradictory doing anything, or when people from feminist, far left/right, transgender, vegans, rich people, poor people moaning about this, that and the other.  

We all moan, we all have opinions, but nothing ever gets done.  

So **** this lot, they're morons.  It's in very bad taste, like when someone dresses up as Hitler, or someone blows up a frog with a firework, or kids drink bleach to get famous on the internet. 

I'm not bothered - whatever.  90% of the population needs to just **** off, so this comes as no surprise.  These are the kind of people who moan about people not wearing poppies.  This story is tomorrows bog roll.

The nice 10% need to get down the villa and support the lads.

• 2 months later...

I don't know how to say it more clearly than this.

Take the properties away from them. Expropriate them.  Seize them.

Residents in a tower block that is wrapped with combustible cladding say they are facing possible bankruptcy and are falling ill with stress after the building owner and its developer refused to pay £4m to make their homes safe.

They are among tens of thousands of people across England known to be still living in private apartment buildings wrapped in similar material to that which spread the Grenfell Tower fire 19 months ago. The latest government figures show that cladding on only five of 176 privately owned towers identified has been replaced amid ongoing disputes between ministers, councils and building owners over who should pay.

Leaseholders at the Northpoint building in Bromley in south London are each facing £70,000 bills in a situation they describe as “absolutely desperate”. One resident has been hospitalised with hypertension caused by the stress of the safety risk and the financial threat. After already paying up to £8,000 each for emergency safety measures, another resident said she could only can afford to heat hot water once a week. Others are racking up major debts and cancelling holiday plans. The two-bedroom flats were worth about £300,000 each but are now thought to be unmortgageable.

More on link

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

65 families yet to be housed and the urgent review still hasn't decided on a legal definition for what a combustible might mean, but hey, at least the bonuses are still flowing

job well done

Bosses at the council responsible for Grenfell Tower received bonuses totalling more than £90,000 in the year after the fire, it has emerged.

It was also revealed housing staff at the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea had bonuses totalling £131,800.

----

In other news, not directly related to the above bonuses issue - this week I've seen first hand a govt report in to GRP 'fire rated' front doors. It says they've tested doors marketed as 30 minute fire rated and they can't find one yet from any manufacturer that lasts 30 minutes. Research revealed that none of them had actually been fire tested to gain their original certification, all had passed 'in theory' based on being similar to other doors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...

2 years

has the government decided yet on a definition of flammable?

absolute disgrace of a Prime Minister, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out

timber balconies on a 6 storey block in London this weekend:

_107311407_barkingfire1.jpg

Resident Mihaela Gheorghe said she had "raised several issues" about the safety of wooden balconies on the blocks of flats.

"We said that one day a fire is going to happen.

"We raised several issues to the builder, the maintenance companies and the council about the safety of having all these wooden balconies."

Theresa May's legacy

I remember after Grenfell that it really felt like a line had been crossed, and that actually addressing the flammable cladding of buildings would be a matter of genuine priority. Astonishing how successful they've been at memory-holing the fact that more than 70 people died. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I remember after Grenfell that it really felt like a line had been crossed, and that actually addressing the flammable cladding of buildings would be a matter of genuine priority. Astonishing how successful they've been at memory-holing the fact that more than 70 people died. 

Just a reminder that the Minister for Housing from July 2016 to June 9th 2017 (I'm not suggesting he is solely responsible for the history of housing issues in the UK, btw, but there werre questions asked about him delaying a fire safety review in his time as Minister ) is the Downing Street Chief of Staff (of one of the worst 'Downing Street' teams of all time).

220px-Gavin_Barwell_2015.jpg

Edited by snowychap

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

Just a reminder that the Minister for Housing from July 2016 to June 9th 2017 (I'm not suggesting he is solely responsible for the history of housing issues in the UK, btw, but there werre questions asked about him delaying a fire safety review in his time as Minister ) is the Downing Street Chief of Staff (of one of the worst 'Downing Street' teams of all time).

220px-Gavin_Barwell_2015.jpg

Karl Pilkington?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Whilst the Tory filth are trying to protect landlords and slumlords, the Grenfell collective are sueing some of the manufacturers involved in US courts: Whirlpool, cladding firm Arconic and insulation company Celotex.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Karl Pilkington?

"Is it Fag proof,  you know the cladding ?  Should be alright I spose.   Dunno what they are moaning about,  it's on the outside of the house anyway,  I'm the one who has to look at it.  I'm sick of it"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PM’s chief of staff did not act on multiple warnings about fire safety in months before Grenfell, new letters show

Theresa May’s chief of staff was sent multiple, clear warnings to review fire safety rules in the months leading up to Grenfell, but failed to reply to letters or meet with the MPs raising concerns, new documents obtained by Inside Housing reveal.

Gavin Barwell, who was housing minister in 2016 and 2017, received seven letters from the group of MPs responsible for scrutinising fire safety rules between September 2016 and May 2017 – with the last landing just 26 days before the fire at Grenfell Tower.

Â