London Bridge Incident

So the Saudis refusing to take part in the silent minute for the London victims before their friendly against Australia...

That's cute.

"Not in line with their culture"

1 hour ago, will87 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40189916

I'm not sure why this isn't being considered terrorism?

nothing that 50 bullets wouldn't have resolved

but I suppose it depends how much credibility there is in the "something to do with Allah and the Koran" reports before I'd have let plod go all Tony Montana on them

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Watched the match but missed before kick off. They stood as shown in the picture, no linking arms in the centre circle like the Aussies.

cats7.jpg

No doubt instructed by the Saudi government not to take part.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Watched the match but missed before kick off. They stood as shown in the picture, no linking arms in the centre circle like the Aussies.

cats7.jpg

Im trying to remember the last time a European side did a minutes silence for those killed in Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sne said:

So the Saudis refusing to take part in the silent minute for the London victims before their friendly against Australia...

That's cute.

"Not in line with their culture"

I'd pay to fight Saudi Arabia. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

Im trying to remember the last time a European side did a minutes silence for those killed in Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan? 

Not really the same thing is it?

If a minutes silence was organised for those killed in Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan then I'm sure a European side would take part.

That being said, I'm kind of convinced something else must be going on in these pictures. People on twitter saying the Saudis didn't know what was going on and there were no announcements in Arabic. Don't know if it's true or not but I struggle to believe they would just ignore it.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

If a minutes silence was organised for those killed in Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan then I'm sure a European side would take part.

I think that is the point, nobody bothered to organise one.

Was there silences for the terrorist attacks in Turkey at major events? I genuinely can't remember, I know "Turkey" felt shunned by Europe in the wake of their own attacks.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Was there silences for the terrorist attacks in Turkey at major events? I genuinely can't remember, I know "Turkey" felt shunned by Europe in the wake of their own attacks.

It was organised by Australia, hence why they're lined up and observing the minute's silence. 

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Turkish fans whistled and chanted Allahu Ahkbar throughout the minute's silence for victims of the Paris attacks when the played France. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Turkish fans whistled and chanted Allahu Ahkbar throughout the minute's silence for victims of the Paris attacks when the played France. 

All of them? Or some idiots like all football teams seem to attract.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

All of them? Or some idiots like all football teams seem to attract.

From the video I watched it was like 'swing low' at Twickenham.

Edit: it was Turkey vs Greece in Istanbul, not Turkey vs France. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

I know the incident you mention, and from what I recall it was whistles and boos. Saying that, it's certainly incredibly disrespectful but I believe it was motivated by a deemed lack of empathy from Europe when they had their troubles.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

I know the incident you mention, and from what I recall it was whistles and boos. Saying that, it's certainly incredibly disrespectful but I believe it was motivated by a deemed lack of empathy from Europe when they had their troubles.

Well, they nourished and helped ISIS to grow in Syria when it suited them. Not a clever move. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

If a European country was playing a match in the Middle East and the host nation decided to hold a minute silence for the victims of a terrorists act that had killed a number of the host nations citizens I suspect the visiting team would join in as a mark of respect to the host nation. One of the Australians killed last week was even a local from the city where the game was being played. 

The Saudi FA were told in advance by the Australian FA and the Asian Football Association that there would be a minutes silence but the Saudi officials refused the invitation to take part. The players themselves may not have known what was happening due to the language barrier, one of the Saudi players did in fact line up and observe the silence.  

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

cats7.jpg

Just disgusting, really. 

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That being said, I'm kind of convinced something else must be going on in these pictures. People on twitter saying the Saudis didn't know what was going on and there were no announcements in Arabic. Don't know if it's true or not but I struggle to believe they would just ignore it.

Announcement was just in English. Wouldn't the ref have informed them beforehand what was going on though?

Â