Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Definitely should have won that and bizarrely we looked better with ten men. Midfield looked excellent today with Hourihane the stand out player for me. The refereeing was worse than park football with clear bias to Brighton. How Brighton got promoted is beyond me based on seeing them today, they will struggle big time in the PL I could not see what Baker did to get a straight red as all I could see from the Holte was an excellent save by Johnstone. For once Bruce played players in their right positions and boy did it show.

I think the reason we looked better after going down to 10 is because it was Baker that went off.

Although Elphick is a disaster waiting to happen he is much better on the ball than Baker and this helped us.

I reckon we might see 2 new CBs in the summer as our marqee signings and that may be enough to resolve a number of our poor performances.

18 minutes ago, jackdaww said:

we are desperately short of strikers

I'm not sure we are - we've played mostly with one up front this season and today we were at our sixth choice in the position - in so far as I know, there's a chance all six could still be here in August. Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack, Agbonlahor, Hepburn-Murphy, Davis - that's good depth in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Here's what happened.

Hourihane was on free kicks. He'd been on them all day and had taken some very good ones.

For some reason, Bacuna wanted to take this one, when Hourihane tried to take the ball off him Bacuna had a little paddy fit and kept it.

The team turned to the bench and appeared to be instructed that Hourihane was the free kick taker. Bacuna gave the ball back and went and had a little sulk on his own, throwing his arms up in the air.

Hourihane then produce a great save from Stockdale to cement the fact that Bacuna shouldn't have been anywhere near it.

The only thing it showed is that Bacuna is a prick.

Lansbury took a free kick earlier in the game which Bacuna wanted and it went nowhere.

There was at least one other which he left for Hourihane.

It was obvious Bacuna wanted to take a free kick and had waited his turn hence the reaction.

If more of our players played with same passion and desire Bacuna plays with we wouldn't be sitting in 13th in the Championship on the final day of the season.

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael118 said:

Lansbury took a free kick earlier in the game which Bacuna wanted and it went nowhere.

There was at least one other which he left for Hourihane.

It was obvious Bacuna wanted to take a free kick and had waited his turn hence the reaction.

If more of our players played with same passion and desire Bacuna plays with we wouldn't be sitting in 12th in the Championship on the final day of the season.

Complete and utter bollocks.

Bacuna isn't on free kicks because he's shit. 

Just because he throws his toys out the pram when he doesn't get what he wants doesn't mean he has passion. It means he's a prick. Trying to bully your way into taking a free kick just because you want one doesn't show desire, it shows greediness ahead of what's best for the team.

He's a crap footballer and clearly he has an attitude problem to boot. He'd be the first player out the door if I had my way.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Just because he throws his toys out the pram when he doesn't get what he wants doesn't mean he has passion. It means he's a prick. Trying to bully your way into taking a free kick just because you want one doesn't show desire, it shows greediness ahead of what's best for the team.

He's a crap footballer and clearly he has an attitude problem to boot. He'd be the first player out the door if I had my way.

And he looks like a right twonk with his every changing hair style/color

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure we are - we've played mostly with one up front this season and today we were at our sixth choice in the position - in so far as I know, there's a chance all six could still be here in August. Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack, Agbonlahor, Hepburn-Murphy, Davis - that's good depth in my opinion.

Of those 6 i only trust 1 of them (kodjia) to score goals. Hogan has only shown he is made of glass, mccormack has only shown he cant be bothered, Gabby just simply isnt good enough and RHM hasnt played enough to know what he is.

If we have serious asperations for promotion we need at least 2 strikers to score 15+ goals.

With a serious injury who knows what kodjia will be when he returns and at present i dont see any of the other 5 scoring more than a couple each.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

perhaps i should have said - GOOD strikers .

hogan has showed nothing so far.

mccormack isnt fit and shows no interest .

hm and davis are youngsters with all to prove .

that leaves kodjia - a star player who has most of our goals - as benteke did -  and agbon who is good but at his age injury prone .

kodjia on his own wont get us into the prem !

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was obvious from his reaction towards the bench that he thought he was entitled to take the free kick. It was Hourihane who was trying to bully him out of taking it if anything. His reaction was a bit over the top after that but that's Bacuna. It at least shows he cares and believes he can make a difference.

Interestingly it coincided with our best period of the game and we scored not long after.

22 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

It was obvious from his reaction towards the bench that he thought he was entitled to take the free kick. It was Hourihane who was trying to bully him out of taking it if anything. His reaction was a bit over the top after that but that's Bacuna. It at least shows he cares and believes he can make a difference.

Interestingly it coincided with our best period of the game and we scored not long after.

He thought he was entitled to take the free kick. Exactly. 

He was rightly told to **** off and let the actual free kick taker take it. 

I hope he never plays for us again. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I hope he never plays for us again. 

That's a bit severe I think - these things happen on a football field. Bacuna for all his faults takes a decent free kick - so does Hourihane - it's just one of those things - they had a big hug at the end. For me Bacuna was better in the second half after his strop - I'm hoping that's some sort of sign of self awareness. 

• Like 2

Glad we put up a decent performance for the final home match of the season. Really should have won it.

I also take childish pleasure from the fact that Jack G, having had bucketloads of shit poured on his head by some posters on VT all season, popped up st the death to become a Holte End hero.

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's a bit severe I think - these things happen on a football field. Bacuna for all his faults takes a decent free kick - so does Hourihane - it's just one of those things - they had a big hug at the end. For me Bacuna was better in the second half after his strop - I'm hoping that's some sort of sign of self awareness. 

Oh no because of that incident. I hope he never plays for us again because he's a terrible footballer and if he's a regular next season it would indicate that we've done nothing to address a serious area of weakness in the squad. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Watch out for the " stats " attack .

Overall I thought it was quite an entertaining match. It was very open as Brighton needed the win. Does anyone else think we have perhaps played better at home versus the teams who want to be open rather than going for the draw? Our record at home versus the top 6 is not bad with 2 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat.

We created more chances today than our last 2 home games put together and I think showed some character coming back from a dodgy pen and sending off and injuries to get a well deserved draw.  I thought Hourihane had a good game today, could have got at least 1 goal today. At least it was vaguely positive to end the season on, but 13th is not a good season.

Mcparland and Sims joint MOTM for me. Legends. 

From one season to the next. UTV.

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh no because of that incident. I hope he never plays for us again because he's a terrible footballer and if he's a regular next season it would indicate that we've done nothing to address a serious area of weakness in the squad. 

Well these are reasons that are more difficult to argue with.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watch out for the " stats " attack .

Your digs would be much more effective if they made any sense. 

Nice try though. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I hope he becomes the squad player which he should have been this season but there's plenty I hope never play for us again before Bacuna. 

He cares (probably a bit too much for his own good at times), was at least as good as the rest of the midfield today and offers a solid substitute option in a number of positions.

I was actually disappointed to see the boo boys back at him again after his small strop over the free kick. The fact that he still gives his all after the rubbish about his 'champions league' quotes last season makes me find it difficult to understand why some have such a strong hate for him. He's no worse than many players we have in the squad at the moment and certainly looks like he cares more than many. 

• Like 1

Â