limpid

Match Polls  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Yep.

Looked to me like Bacuna wanted it, but Hourihane was reminding him that he takes the free kicks as instructed by Bruce.

I have heard many managers say, they usually sort it out themselves, whoever feels most confident on the day.

to keep defaulting every error to the manager is just, tedious and desperate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have heard many managers say, they usually sort it out themselves, whoever feels most confident on the day.

to keep defaulting every error to the manager is just, tedious and desperate.

agreed, and either way it's not fault of the managers

• Like 1

I thought we were really good today, we deserved a point at the very least. Our midfield were actually shooting/having chances, Davis was superb on his own up top. Really really impressed with him. I much preferred Bree at RB as well but that might just be me, I'm not a huge fan of Hutton.

Adomah was pretty crap again and well Elphick done his best to gift Brighton a second but other than that I'm pleased. The hoofball wasn't as ridiculous either. There were signs today we can be a good side. 

• Like 3

The referee was awful today. Their penalty was harsh, the player had already had his shot saved when Baker made minimal contact. A red and a penalty was extremely harsh. Then Davies gets dragged down at the other end and the ref doesn't care. 

We were better today, deserved more than a point I thought. Still not perfect but not too bad a performance to sign off with. 

I quite enjoyed spoiling their party, their keeper did well up until our goal and you can see how gutted he was. 

A lot of work to do now to be ready for next season. 

Probably the best performance of the season.

We were the better team for 90 minutes, despite going down to 10 men. THis is against the best team in the league (arguably) who were playing for the league title.

Hourihane MOTM. He was very good.

• Like 1

I was shocked at how poor Brighton were. They deserved nothing out of the game not even the draw and judging by how their players collapsed at the end of the game they wanted it for sure. 

We were miles better, and we were not very good. 

Why can't I vote Keinan Davis as my man of the match? Best player on the pitch by a country mile after he came on. 

• Like 1

Definitely should have won that and bizarrely we looked better with ten men. Midfield looked excellent today with Hourihane the stand out player for me. The refereeing was worse than park football with clear bias to Brighton. How Brighton got promoted is beyond me based on seeing them today, they will struggle big time in the PL I could not see what Baker did to get a straight red as all I could see from the Holte was an excellent save by Johnstone. For once Bruce played players in their right positions and boy did it show.

Is that twice we've outplayed Brighton this season?

There's a good team in there somewhere 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Probably the best performance of the season.

We were the better team for 90 minutes, despite going down to 10 men. THis is against the best team in the league (arguably) who were playing for the league title.

Hourihane MOTM. He was very good.

Totally agree with that.

• Like 1

We actually played football along the floor today and it was pretty decent to watch.

Jack is a much different player when he backs himself. Hope we see more of it next season.

Davis looked quite good. Better than what we have seen from RHM (which is admittedly not much).

Was lovely to see Lansbury playing ahead of the strikers in the first half, he seems far more comfortable this end of the pitch and it's where he should be.

We actually looked a far better balanced unit today, which may be down to Jedinaks absence, allowing another mobile body to get forward binging the whole team further up the pitch. Or maybe simple demands were changed.

Such a shame hogan had to go off early as this would seem to suit his needs far more than the usual lump ball he usually receives. He looked OK in the few moments he was called on and was only going to benifit from a bit more of the same. 

Must say Davis looked like a decent enough option when he appeared.  Must be a nightmare to defend against as he's so in your face, and a bit of strength with it. If hogan needs a partner next season it may be worth a shot sticking the 2 of them together late on in games to bring him on a bit.

result didn't matter a jot today, far more important was how we played and in that respect today was a success.

Having watched the match I can see that there is still a lot of work to do and players that can be improved on.

However, there were also glimpses of a team playing together and fashioning decent chances.

We were undone today by the referee who must've been a Sunderland or Boro fan as he desperately wanted Brighton to win and become champions ahead of Newcastle.

The Defence:

All played ok today, Johnstone didn't really have too much to do today (compared to his counterpart who pulled off some cracking saves - only to have a mare for the equaliser).

The back four of Bree, Chester, Baker and Taylor all played their parts too - my only gripe was the hoof ball tactics that was partially down to Brighton pressing highly and not giving anyone much time to pick out a pass.

My thoughts on the penalty and sending off are that both were very harsh. The striker actually managed to get his shot away before being impeded but I've seen them given. However, giving the additional red to Baker was too much.

The Midfield:

A mixed bag really, both Lansbury and Hourihane looked very good going forward and the latter was unlucky with several well struck free-kicks and shots (Lansbury also should have scored in the first half).

Both wingers did ok - Adomah pushed on a lot more and Amavi also got into some good attacking positions.

That leaves Bacuna... How any player can be equally decent and shite in one match is beyond me. He has some engine and got around the park, getting moves going. But... then he gives the ball away over and over again - straight back to opposition who flood forward putting us under pressure (no wonder the defence hoof it over the midfield!)

The attack:

Poor old Hogan - I thought he looked bright, always wanted the ball but then got chopped by the ginger ninja sidwell, who managed to evade the ref's book all match despite 3-4 nasty fouls.

As for Keinan Davis, there is praise for the youngster for managing 60+ minutes leading the line. He worked very hard and held the ball up ok but his shooting wasn't happening today and to me, he looked a little sluggish. I'm afraid I don't hold any hope that he will become a first team regular (I don't want to be hard on the lad, I just don't see him becoming a prolific striker).

The subs (other than Davis):

We were forced into bringing on Elphick when the ref mistook Baker for Attila The Hun and sent him off. He instantly brought panic into the back four and we nearly conceded a second within minutes. However, we did improve as a team after the initial collywobbles and didn't look like a 10 man team.

It was another typical Jack Grealish cameo, in that he came on, drifted about the pitch occasionally showing glimpses of brilliance before disappearing or slowing up a promising attack. Then he scores from outside the box (in fairness to their keeper, he saved much better strikes this game but let this one in) continuing the Grealish myth that he will be outstanding. I think Jack needs to work on his pace and directness over the summer, he has all the attributes to scare defences but too often takes the easy option.

Manager:

A difficult one, on one hand we matched one of the top 2 in the league but in all honesty, we should have won the game. Bruce needs help with our attacking game - too many times we got to the final third and looked bereft of ideas and the players couldn't read each others movements. This needs addressing.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I was shocked at how poor Brighton were. They deserved nothing out of the game not even the draw and judging by how their players collapsed at the end of the game they wanted it for sure. 

We were miles better, and we were not very good. 

Why can't I vote Keinan Davis as my man of the match? Best player on the pitch by a country mile after he came on. 

Now that IS encouraging.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hopefully good signs for next season, it's clear we have some good players in this squad.

i dont think the signs are good at all .

there are some able players but they just do not deliver often enough.

some  of the new signings are duds -- but kodjia jedinack taylor ARE good.

we are desperately short of strikers , so we MUST keep on to agbonlahor and just hope some of the youngsters step up .

bree has a lot to prove so we must also hang on to hutton another year .

also bacuna should stay - he is versatile but needs to grow up fast .

its possible we may sign some great players in the summer - im not holding my breath .

ps. its remarkable how many of the players we gave away are now in the PREM!!  

Edited by jackdaww
ps

Â