Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

7 hours ago, blandy said:

Russia is gaining ground all the time now

It was on the radio when i got in the car the other day and i'd missed the beginning and full full context , but is sounded like the expert was saying Russia is gaining around 100 meters of Ukrainian land a week  , its not the great push they wanted ... Assuming the new found money can get turned into weapons and ammunition very quickly a lot of those gains can probably be taken back quite quickly 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

On the other hand, Trump had dinner with Duda (Polish Prez) the other day; they get on quite well. Now notice Trump's lack of comment on the aid bill?

far as I know he didn't comment direct in favour or against the bill ? 

but last week he said something along the lines of  Ukrainian Survival is much more important to Europe than to us, but it is also important to us! 

Can I double check something with this US money. The money doesn't go to Ukraine does it? It's basically the US government spending money on US based arms companies to increase their operational capacity, and then donating some of the additional weapons/ammo to Ukraine and Israel?

In the very simplified version 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Can I double check something with this US money. The money doesn't go to Ukraine does it? It's basically the US government spending money on US based arms companies to increase their operational capacity, and then donating some of the additional weapons/ammo to Ukraine and Israel?

No. The US will donate lots of stored stuff to Ukraine at least. For Taiwan and Israel it's more complex but Ukraine will get ATACMS, ammunition and vehicles already ready to go. The US will then use their own capacity to produce new kit for their own military. It's win win for the US, and frankly bonkers why the republicans have been so against this when 7\10 arms industry jobs are in republican states. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heard a news story on Swedish radio where they went to the front in Luhansk to check out how the Swedish weapon systems were doing. About the CV90 the Ukranians said it performed extremely well. But they only used it when they felt pressured by the Russians as they didn't want to lose it. So more of everything should make a big difference in the defense of Ukraine.

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

And one by Finland, and Norway at about the same size

I think  us Norwgian should give many times what Finland gives. Many of us here think we are way to passive. We sell so much oil,and gas because of this,and should commit much more of what we earn to Ukraine. The news a couple of weeks ago here was that the "Norwegian pensionfund global" (or the oilfund as it was called,and still is) had a really big result. 130 billion USD. And that is just in the first quarter of the year. Twice of the huge US package. And we have so much money from before. It is ment to invest in the future generations,but i think winning this war would be the best investment possible. 

We should buy them airdefence,all the artilleryshells on the marked,and whatever they need. 

Edited by fleksnes
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, fleksnes said:

I think  us Norwgian should give many times what Finland gives. Many of us here think we are way to passive. We sell so much oil,and gas because of this,and should commit much more of what we earn to Ukraine. The news a couple of weeks ago here was that the "Norwegian pensionfund global" (or the oilfund as it was called,and still is) had a really big result. 130 billion USD. And that is just in the first quarter of the year. Twice of the huge US package. And we have so much money from before. It is ment to invest in the future generations,but i think winning this war would be the best investment possible. 

We should buy them airdefence,all the artilleryshells on the marked,and whatever they need. 

Some of those Thor ER missiles and Nano-drones produced in Norway would be great too. I agree, and I think Norway is slowly coming to that realisation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Some of those Thor ER missiles and Nano-drones produced in Norway would be great too. I agree, and I think Norway is slowly coming to that realisation.

Yes it took some time,but finally at least Nammo is running 24/7 now i belive,and are expanding their productionline. Still think we could match that US package,and donate one billion USD each time Medvedev mentions nuclear weapons :D

10 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

It’s both.

Of the $61 billion allocated to Ukraine almost $23 billion goes to the US industrial military complex to manufacture weapons for the US army. That frees up capacity for the US to donate old weapons to Ukraine from existing stockpiles. 

There is also $14 billion allocated for the US military to purchase new weapons from the manufactures and send them directly to Ukraine.

Another $9 billion goes to Zelenskiy’s government in the form of ‘forgivable loans’. This money is meant to help pay salaries, pensions and other expenses.

The rest covers the running costs for the US military (their surveillance assistance, the training on the weapons, logistics etc etc)

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

With the donors on both sides of the Atlantic now sated, I wonder if we'll start to see political moves toward an end to this conflict.

The commitment to military spending in the UK and the extra spedning in the US might be good for Ukraine in more ways than just getting more weapons.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

With the donors on both sides of the Atlantic now sated, I wonder if we'll start to see political moves toward an end to this conflict.

The commitment to military spending in the UK and the extra spedning in the US might be good for Ukraine in more ways than just getting more weapons.

Russia will have absolutely no interest in discussing an end to the conflict until they know which way the US election goes in November.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What did they blow up?

The first attack was the Crimean airfield last week and the second was an attack on forces south east of Berdyansk last night.

The AtACMS were apparently part of a $300mil dollar package announced in March but the details are only being released now.

11 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Best to get the use out of them before the Russians move their assets out of range. Kerch bridge soon?

ATACMs aren’t well suited to taking out bridges. The Storm Shadows they already have would be better - so probably not.

Although apparently Taurus missiles would be the best thing for it.

54 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

ATACMs aren’t well suited to taking out bridges. The Storm Shadows they already have would be better - so probably not.

Although apparently Taurus missiles would be the best thing for it.

Scholz is doing all he can to keep the taurus away from Ukraine tho, the German press have invented a new word 'Scholzing around', essentially where you avoid the subject alltogether and just hide behind a bush when someone asks you about why Germany isn't supplying them...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Scholz is doing all he can to keep the taurus away from Ukraine tho, the German press have invented a new word 'Scholzing around', essentially where you avoid the subject alltogether and just hide behind a bush when someone asks you about why Germany isn't supplying them...

I wonder if he'll hide in a fridge?

• Like 1

Â