• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Questions and few thoughts about Planes:  Russia has 500 ? Boeing and Airbus planes,  Russia has them all on lease as I understand it.

Part of the lease is that they all get repaired in a specific way with specific parts and there is some sort of sign off procedure or the repair is not valid ? (So violation of the lease ?)

Russia has had no spare parts since Feb,  how often do planes need repairs ? At some point they can't fly surely ?

I wonder if their Airline / Travel within Russia might start to decrease over time + the wages in Russia went down 7% and inflation is at 12% so who can afford to fly and where can they fly ?

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Seems the US senate and congress might approve sending 300km rockets for HIMARs within a day, likely being the key to winning this war for Ukraine.

I am starting to think the UK / US are pulling the strings in terms of the actual wargame.
Russia can only lose from here IMO.  Once Ukraine get a grip of the new weapons' they will just pick them off from range. 

Phytologically this must be getting difficult for the Russians,  they are not getting rotated on the front line from what I understand.  

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So is the start of the Ukraine counter-offensive?

If they are going to do it,  it will be from multiple directions at the same time at night.  A proper shock and awe type thing. 

I don't think they are ready to go yet,  need more weapons' first I suspect.

I think when they do go there will be no doubt about it. 

33 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Questions and few thoughts about Planes:  Russia has 500 ? Boeing and Airbus planes,  Russia has them all on lease as I understand it.

Part of the lease is that they all get repaired in a specific way with specific parts and there is some sort of sign off procedure or the repair is not valid ? (So violation of the lease ?)

Russia has had no spare parts since Feb,  how often do planes need repairs ? At some point they can't fly surely ?

I wonder if their Airline / Travel within Russia might start to decrease over time + the wages in Russia went down 7% and inflation is at 12% so who can afford to fly and where can they fly ?

They had been banned from using them to fly into Europe and that was one of their main uses so they have a lot of spare ones not being used just laying around. It sounds like they are rotating them as and when they are needed and using grounded planes as a source of spare parts. Obviously it can’t go on forever but is lasting much longer than some of the commentary thought it would back in Feb.

It sounds like car parts are a bigger issue actually. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Their aircraft are barred from flying to many countries anyway. On maintenance and repair they have the licensed and qualified personnel to do the work and sign it off. Spares can become a problem, obviously, due to sanctions - so it’s likely they’ll have to rob (cannibalise) parts, probably breaching lease agreements to keep some aircraft flying. Maybe the biggest problem might be lifed items and tyres.

• Thanks 1

Just now, blandy said:

Their aircraft are barred from flying to many countries anyway. On maintenance and repair they have the licensed and qualified personnel to do the work and sign it off. Spares can become a problem, obviously, due to sanctions - so it’s likely they’ll have to rob (cannibalise) parts, probably breaching lease agreements to keep some aircraft flying. Maybe the biggest problem might be lifed items and tyres.

I don’t think they are too concerned about breaching lease agreements are they? They have been banned from paying the leases since February but have kept hold of the planes. At this stage they have effectively ‘stolen’ them. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think they are too concerned about breaching lease agreements are they? They have been banned from paying the leases since February but have kept hold of the planes. At this stage they have effectively ‘stolen’ them. 

I dunno, tbh. Insurance might be a worry.

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

DIdn't the sanctions regarding aviation equipment change the other week to take some flight safety equipment out of the sanctions list because they didn't want Russian planes just falling out of the sky?

Fairly sure I read that but could be wrong

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Video of the damage done on that bridge. This damage hasn't been done by HIMARS btw, just regular artillery. That is some impressive accuracy

That’ll be your fully upgraded m777 or PzH2000 at work. The PzH has incredible accuracy, delayed firing, loading speed that is terrifying and a range that’ll scare even Putin. The Germans can end this war if they give more of the good stuff.

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

Video of the damage done on that bridge. This damage hasn't been done by HIMARS btw, just regular artillery. That is some impressive accuracy

Apparently all is well. It's only closed to the public. 

The Antonovsky bridge has been closed for civilians but its structural integrity has not suffered from the shelling, Kirill Stremousov, deputy head of the Russian-appointed city administration, told Interfax.

Basically it's still standing but if you cross it you may fall down the holes lol. 

If I was Ukraine I would keep targeting it until there is a decent sized gap in that bridge and ground troops cannot cross to support or retreat. That means everything will need to be brought in by heli's into Kherson which the Ukraine love shooting down. 

I'm just wondering, does anyone know if the bridge at Nova Kakhovka has been destroyed or is this still intact? That would still allow support from the East if still accessible although over much further distances.  

7 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Apparently all is well. It's only closed to the public. 

The Antonovsky bridge has been closed for civilians but its structural integrity has not suffered from the shelling, Kirill Stremousov, deputy head of the Russian-appointed city administration, told Interfax.

Basically it's still standing but if you cross it you may fall down the holes lol. 

If I was Ukraine I would keep targeting it until there is a decent sized gap in that bridge and ground troops cannot cross to support or retreat. That means everything will need to be brought in by heli's into Kherson which the Ukraine love shooting down. 

I'm just wondering, does anyone know if the bridge at Nova Kakhovka has been destroyed or is this still intact? That would still allow support from the East if still accessible although over much further distances.  

The bridge at Nova Kakhova is a dam, blowing it up would flood Kherson and kill thousands of civilians, ruin the ecosystem and wreck a large part of the farms around Kherson. 

Wouldn’t put it past Putler if he loses the city though.

The bridge is definitely not passable anymore:

ccz94vce92e91.jpg

Edited by magnkarl

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The bridge at Nova Kakhova is a dam, blowing it up would flood Kherson and kill thousands of civilians, ruin the ecosystem and wreck a large part of the farms around Kherson. 

Wouldn’t put it past Putler if he loses the city though.

Ah, That's right, I forgot it was a Dam. Thanks. 

I agree, I wouldn't put it past him to blow it and blame Ukraine if it gets messy.

• Like 1

Boris Johnson being pushed as new NATO chief. So happy that Sweden are being rushed to join without us getting to vote on it.

France likely to say no to him thou so probably not happening.

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Ah, That's right, I forgot it was a Dam. Thanks. 

I agree, I wouldn't put it past him to blow it and blame Ukraine if it gets messy.

I was just about to say that.  How many minutes will pass before Russia says Ukraine did it.  I was a little surprised that they didn't try to blame the bombing of Odessa on Ukraine.

Â