Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Truth is they've probably got none and just paint some jet airliners grey and glue some discs to the roof and stick a load of blokes inside with high powered binoculars looking out of the windows. 

You do worry about people using airport parking around Stanstead. Lot’s of anecdotal stuff about cars covered in mud with 20,000 miles on the clock and a giant ‘Z’ painted on the doors. 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s fascinating the difference in ‘news’, where we have statements on here that the Russians only had 3 of these aircraft and 2 have been destroyed.

I think there's a bit of confusion here. There are two different aircraft

The IL22PP, which is a variant of the IL18 as far as I can ascertain there may only has only been three of the PP variant, there are also very small numbers of other similar variants. I believe this is the one the Russian bloggers are claiming there were 3 of. This is a radar jamming aircraft

The A-50 on the other hand, the one with the big dish on is a variant of the IL76 and there are thought to be eight or nine of those in service. This one is the AWACS aircraft with the spinney saucer thing

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s fascinating the difference in ‘news’, where we have statements on here that the Russians only had 3 of these aircraft and 2 have been destroyed. Versus that BBC article that says they had 6 of those aircraft and it’s unverified that 2 of them may have been damaged. Which would leave them with one more that ‘vt’ made claim they started with.

The fog of war I guess. Though the interesting bit was that if it was Ukraine and the aircraft was destroyed then that’s two pieces of good news. One, it’s the aircrew that’s the more rare commodity not the hardware, so a kill would be excellent. Two, if it was Ukraine then they’ve done something technically on the fringes of what’s possible with the weapons they have. Innovation to further scare Russians in to staying home.

Imagine what they could be doing with a properly funded war effort. Potentially, they could be in a significantly better place with Russia in a significantly worse place and unable to be a fully functioning member of the arsehole alliance with Iran, North Korea, and Dr Evil.

We’d even potentially have more thinking time to help stop the genocide in Palestine.

With regards to the differing numbers around the A-50, it’s to do with the equipment spec apparently. From what I understand they had 8 of the planes but prior to this one being destroyed only three of them were ‘mission capable’ for the role they are being used for. Presumably now they are left with just two, each only having a 4h flight time. The loss of the experienced 15 man crew required to operate these will also be keenly felt. 

It is a pretty crucial asset to lose, and potentially very convenient if Ukraine starts operating F-16s in that airspace. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

On 15/01/2024 at 11:19, Genie said:

If Ukraine shot it down it suggests Russia have been naive and Ukraine have more capability than expected. I think that’s worse from Russia’s point of view (my first thought was that they said they accidentally shot it themselves to cover for that embarrassment / question asking).

I think this covers it. If it was Ukraine (which seems the most likely) then it means no Russian plane is safe over Crimea. If it was accidental friendly fire then ‘lessons can be learnt’ and things can go back to business as usual. There have been stories of Russian pilots being reluctant to fly missions if they have no ability to detect incoming missiles. 

• Like 1

Hmm.

Also the EU parliament voted on taking away Hungary's veto and voting rights yesterday, although this action is more posturing than anything else it sends a real signal to Orban, and guess what? Later the same day Orban said he's willing to let the 50bn euros for Ukraine that he's held up go through. The new government in Slovakia has now joined Hungary in vetoing the aid, but the EU parliament will likely do the same to them. It's so weird to me that two countries who are 100% dependant on the EU market plays with fire like this. Fascist.

Small steps, but hopefully meaningful ones.

Edited by magnkarl

14 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Hmm.

Also the EU parliament voted on taking away Hungary's veto and voting rights yesterday, although this action is more posturing than anything else it sends a real signal to Orban, and guess what? Later the same day Orban said he's willing to let the 50bn euros for Ukraine that he's held up go through. The new government in Slovakia has now joined Hungary in vetoing the aid, but the EU parliament will likely do the same to them. It's so weird to me that two countries who are 100% dependant on the EU market plays with fire like this. Fascist.

Small steps, but hopefully meaningful ones.

Yeah, and there were also “productive” meetings with the Republican speaker about unlocking more US aid to Ukraine, so maybe that’ll resume at some point in the next few weeks too.

I also enjoyed this video of Russia’s most modern type of tank getting ruined by a Bradley (the armour wasn’t penetrated and the crew survived, but they were forced to abandon it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

it's been happening on and off since December  , the jamming is originating from Kaliningrad by all accounts 

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I also enjoyed this video of Russia’s most modern type of tank getting ruined by a Bradley (the armour wasn’t penetrated and the crew survived, but they were forced to abandon it).

Bloody hell, i never knew a tank could fire that fast!  Looks like laser beams beams fired in a computer game.

41 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Bloody hell, i never knew a tank could fire that fast!  Looks like laser beams beams fired in a computer game.

Haha, yeah. Looks bloody impressive, right?

That’s actually a relatively small gun by tank standards though, it’s “just” a 25mm autocannon whereas a proper tank cannon is 105mm or 125mm or so.

Thats why it fires so fast and why the tank wasn’t penetrated and the crew killed (even if it was knocked out and then abandoned).

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Thats why it fires so fast and why the tank wasn’t penetrated and the crew killed (even if it was knocked out and then abandoned).

Do Ukraine collect up these abandoned tanks, repair them and put them back into service for themselves?

Â